Odd javascript problem on Cheezburger...

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Odd javascript problem on Cheezburger...

Post by cflawson »

Denying cookies from one of their sites might be the source of the problem, too. In fact, I bet that's it.

cl
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

Well, I guess I'm still scratching my head as to why it loads instantly without "looping" when I turn off the Javascript.
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

A script is probably falling into an infinite loop when it can't set a certain cookie. When JS is off, the script never runs.

cl
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

Well, I guess I'll just turn javascript off whenever I visit the site and forget it...I'm not gonna scroll through hundreds of "deny"s just to make one page work. I'd rather have the peace of mind that denying the cookies gives me, be it all in my head or real.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

blanchesdad wrote:Well, I guess I'll just turn javascript off whenever I visit the site and forget it...I'm not gonna scroll through hundreds of "deny"s just to make one page work.

You *might* be able to isolate it easily by running under Troubleshoot Camino and allowing all cookies, visiting the site, then selecting all cookies and "Remove and Block Cookies from These Sites", and then turning half of them back on and visiting the site, etc. Lather, rinse, repeat (like troubleshooting extension conflicts back in the Mac OS days!).

Then, once you've figured out the problematic cookie(s), quit, and whitelist them in your normal-use Camino.

That may still be more effort than you want to expend, but just putting it out there in case you hadn't considered it.

FWIW, I still can't reproduce the problem even if I visit the site on a fresh profile with all cookies blocked :-(
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

For whatever it's worth, I mostly gave up blocking specific cookie hosts in Camino a while back. I have a monster /etc/hosts file that creates wholesale blocks on a few thousand servers and I have Camino set to make all cookies *other* than those on my whitelist into session cookies (network.cookie.lifetimePolicy set to 3 and network.cookie.lifetime.days set to 1). This seems to strike a nice balance between privacy and usability. (Due to bug 711596, I still need to manually clear out session cookies occasionally when my browsing sessions continue past a day or two.)

cl
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

Uncle Asad wrote:Lather, rinse, repeat (like troubleshooting extension conflicts back in the Mac OS days!)

Ah, you're gettin' me all misty-eyed...Long Live System 7!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.