Odd javascript problem on Cheezburger...

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

blanchesdad

Odd javascript problem on Cheezburger...

Post by blanchesdad »

Hey all...just downloaded 2.1.2 to see if it might have fixed this oddity, but it still does it.

Now, this isn't any sort of earth-shattering thing, but Camino seems to get stuck in some sort of "Javascript Hell Loop" whenever I visit the "LOLdog" side of the Cheezburger universe (http://dogs.icanhascheezburger.com). It began to happen just recently, when they re-did some stuff on their site. It's only the "dog" page of all of the sites they publish. I usually enter thru the "cat" site and then hit the "dog" button to see the day's dog-lols...when I do, Camino gets stuck in a loop, which is obvious from the text in the progress bar at the bottom.

If I go up and turn Javascript off in the prefs, the page loads instantly...but with Javascript on, it gets stuck in the loop, forever loading.

Is this just something stupid on the part of the Cheezburger site, or is there something with Camino's handling of the Javascript?

Like I said, not earth-shattering, just curious.
phiw13

Re: Odd javascript problem on Cheezburger...

Post by phiw13 »

I don't seem to have a problem. Does it work better if you delete all cookies for that site ? Or even, if you block all cookies for that site ?
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

Hm...just looked, and there's no cookies for cheezburger.com, and they are not in the "exceptions" list, either. I turned cookies off, and the page loads. Turned "accept cookies" with "ask me" back on, and it doesn't ask, but it does do the "endless loop" with the dog page. Finding it odd that it's not asking if I want to accept cookies from cheezburger at all.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

There are about 20 different servers loading resources for that page, and only a couple of them are in the icanhascheezburger.com domain. I just loaded a couple of those pages in Safari, opened the Activity window, and blocked all these in my /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1 ad.turn.com
127.0.0.1 beacon.lijit.com
127.0.0.1 idpix.media6degrees.com
127.0.0.1 lj.d.chango.com
127.0.0.1 ssp.orbengine.com
127.0.0.1 sync.mathtag.com
127.0.0.1 um.simpli.fi
127.0.0.1 r.nexac.com
127.0.0.1 widget.uservoice.com
127.0.0.1 www.googletagservices.com
127.0.0.1 www.lijit.com
127.0.0.1 dnn506yrbagrg.cloudfront.net

The page loads a TON faster now, even with JS turned on (although like many sites, it works much better with JS turned off).
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

Ah! So where can i find this "/etc/hosts" file so i can paste all that goodness into it?
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

You can open that path in any text editor capable of root privileges. TextWrangler is what I use, although I believe SubEthaEdit also works (and of course the various command-line editors will work if launched with 'sudo').

By the way, if you're going to go that route, you might want to look into adding this to the file, too:

http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?h ... =plaintext

cl
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

OK...just checked it out w/TextWrangler, and the file "hosts" in the "etc" folder on the hard drive is greyed-out, unopenable...is there some trick to getting it to open? btw: I'm on a G4 Mini, running Tiger.
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

Greyed out? Umm. If you mean you can't select it to open, I think you need to change the file type option to "Any file type" or whatever it's called (can't remember for sure ATM) on the open file dialogue.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

Ah, pardon my ignorance...I finally saw the "open everything" option and did open the "hosts" file in the "etc" folder.

This is what the file contained (between dashed lines):
----------------
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
----------------

So, if I'm not supposed to "change this entry," should I just space down a couple of lines and paste in what CL posted above? I'm not familiar with any of this stuff at all.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

blanchesdad wrote:So, if I'm not supposed to "change this entry," should I just space down a couple of lines and paste in what CL posted above? I'm not familiar with any of this stuff at all.

Don't change the part you mention (or you'll make your system inoperable).
Insert a return and then paste the lines cl posted, then add one more return (so you habe a blank line at the end of the file. Save.
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

Well, pardon the pun, but doggone it...I did as phiw13 suggested, and also pasted in the stuff from CL's link. No change. Still stuck in an endless loop on the dogs.icanhascheezburger.com unless I turn javascript off!
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

Ah phiw13 forgot to mention that you should restart your Mac after changing that file (or flush the DNS cache but that requires terminal unix command line familiarity).
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

Alas, makes no diff. I even used Onyx for Tiger to purge all the system caches, etc.

It's very odd. The progress bar flashes "Looking up dogs.icanhascheezburger.com" and "Waiting for dogs.icanhascheezburger.com" at an incredibly rapid rate...like two times a second...it's almost a blur of text it's going so fast. Loopy!
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

You should probably delete any cookies for any of the hosts I mentioned above, too, if you haven't yet. That definitely sounds like a cookies problem.

cl
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

Actually, I keep a really tight rein on my cookies, and there are none from cheezburger. I have just about everything set to 'deny' except sites I do business/banking with, like eBay, or very specific websites that don't use external servers. Every cookie I have in the list is from a reputable site totally unrelated to cheezburger, so I'm not sure that's it.