Camino won't quit

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

rocketmouse

Camino won't quit

Post by rocketmouse »

Why is it that Camino won't quit? Every once in a while it actually deigns to quit, but most of the time when I either go to Shut Down or Quit Camino outright it doesn't. I was hoping version 2.1.2 was going to fix this issue, but it didn't. Is there some setting I can change to have it cooperate more? I LIKE Camino and I'd hate to see it go, but I'm getting tired of always Force Quitting and then, nowadays, clicking on Ignore for the report. I used to send the report, but nothing ever came of it so I gave up.
MacBook Pro (model 5,1; 4G RAM; 750G HD; Intel 64-bit mode)
MacBook (model 1,1; 2G RAM; 500G HD; Intel 32-bit)
Access to iBook G4 (model 6,5; 768MB RAM; 30G HD; PowerPC)
davedit

Re: Camino won't quit

Post by davedit »

Does it just give you a beachball? And is this normally after a long period of usage? If you launch Camino and try to quit right away, does that work?
Camino Themes and Stuff (If that doesn't work, try the mirror)
Pimp My Camino
rocketmouse

Post by rocketmouse »

Yes, it gives me a spinning beachball. Not only doesn't it work to launch it again and try to quit right away, but if I Clear History and/or Empty Cache first it still won't quit. I haven't tried Reset Camino--I should probably do that before trying something like OmniWeb. I've been trying to discern a pattern but can't come up with anything. It sometimes just surprises me and does quit.
davedit

Post by davedit »

Weird... Camino is often extremely slow to quit for me if I've been using it for an extended period of time (sometimes takes over 30 seconds to quit), but it will usually quit right away if it's just been launched. I'm not sure what would be causing your problem.
Camino Themes and Stuff (If that doesn't work, try the mirror)
Pimp My Camino
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

For whatever it's worth, those reports only go to Apple; third-party developers never see any of them.

cl
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Can you

1) Take a sample when Camino hangs/beachballs after you've told it to quit normally: http://caminobrowser.org/documentation/bugzilla/#hang

and

2) File a bug and attach your sample from step 1 to the bug report: http://caminobrowser.org/documentation/bugzilla/#found

That will help us get an idea of what might be going on.

As cflawson says, the reports that are generated when there's a hang or a force quit only get sent to Apple; we never see them. We only see reports that are sent via the Camino Crash Reporter: http://wiki.caminobrowser.org/QA:Crash_ ... h_Reporter

Any time you have a problem repeatedly, it's always best to file a bug; sometimes we can discern bugs based on patterns of crash reports, but it's always best to hear from someone who has the problem consistently.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
rocketmouse

Post by rocketmouse »

Thank you, Uncle Asad. I do appreciate your reply! But first: I paid attention to davedit's 30 seconds--and sat here for 30 seconds, and then another 30 seconds, and another... after a minute and a half I decided to Force Quit and, after launching again, immediately tried to quit. No dice, so the next time I Reset it. THEN it quit on command... I hope that wasn't one of those surprises because I've now put back my pages (so they'll open for the When Camino starts) and passwords. If it does happen again I will certainly take a sample and file a bug report according to your instructions.

It seems to me I've seen the Camino Crash Reporter a few times also, but you're right, it was Apple's own reporting mechanism that got the better of me.
rocketmouse

Post by rocketmouse »

That didn't last long. I've now submitted 2 samples in 2 bug reports. 738012 and 738017.
Sample1 was taken after Camino had been running for quite a while and I had left it alone (with a spinning beachball) for about 20 min after quitting.
Sample2 was taken just after the Force Quit, almost immediately after I had re-launched it and then quit it and it still hung.
There was only one similar report for x86, the rest were all PPC. (I'm assuming x86 means Intel.) I suppose that means the problem occurs independent of architecture--and probably independent of Camino version as well.
rocketmouse

Post by rocketmouse »

UPDATE
"2 bug reports. 738012 and 738017"
It's now a month later, and the problem persists...

NEW ISSUE
Whenever I'm on a page with "automatic updates" in the comments section (e.g. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ullen.html) the whole page jumps while I'm reading (and I lose my place) even though I have "Prevent sites from changing, moving or resizing windows" check marked in the Web Features preference. I'm guessing that must mean then to prevent windows from jumping all over the screen, so is there a way to prevent the *contents* of a window from jumping?
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

rocketmouse wrote:UPDATE

As was pointed out to you in the first of those bugs, this is a bug in Gecko that was fixed in a version of Gecko that we can't use, so we're never going to be able to fix it.

cl
rocketmouse

Post by rocketmouse »

cflawson wrote:
rocketmouse wrote:UPDATE

As was pointed out to you in the first of those bugs, this is a bug in Gecko that was fixed in a version of Gecko that we can't use, so we're never going to be able to fix it.

cl

Oh?! Thank you. I guess I don't know where to look for that information. Good to know.