MozillaZine

Camino and .pdf problem

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

User avatar
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: July 24th, 2004, 1:38 pm
Location: بين العالمين

Post Posted April 21st, 2012, 7:23 pm

sharptailpoint wrote:I'm having the EXACT same problem. I can't download PDFs using Camino on my iMac. I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini both with the same versions of Camino and they work just fine.

[...]

When I click on a link to download a PDF in Camino, I just get a blank white screen.

What PDF plug-in(s) do you have installed in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and /Users/<your_username>/Library/Internet Plug-Ins?

The symtoms you've described are exactly the symptoms of having the incompatible version 2.4 or higher of the Schubert PDF Browser Plugin present.

To use the Schubert PDF Browser Plugin with Camino, install version 2.3.x in the ~/Library/Application Support/Camino/Internet Plug-Ins folder. Version 2.3.x works with Camino on 10.5 and 10.6; I'm not sure we've heard one way or another from someone on 10.7.

It's possible that the new Adobe PDF plug-in also causes these symtoms, too; we're still trying to figure that out in other posts in this thread.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino

Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

User avatar
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: July 24th, 2004, 1:38 pm
Location: بين العالمين

Post Posted April 21st, 2012, 7:38 pm

Uncle Asad wrote:It's possible that the new Adobe PDF plug-in also causes these symtoms, too; we're still trying to figure that out in other posts in this thread.


sharptailpoint wrote:I deleted the file: AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ and now everything works perfectly!

Thank-you Duelin for your recommendation - it worked! The Apple techs had no clue.

Ah, thanks for confirming that the new Adobe plug-in also causes the same display problems.

If anyone would like to do some additional troubleshooting for us, can you
1) In Camino, set the camino.disabled_plugin_names hidden pref to "Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in" (no quotes).
2) Quit Camino.
3) Reinstall AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin
4) Launch Camino

Report what happens when trying to view PDFs (particularly if you have *another* PDF plug-in installed, either version 2.3.x of the Schubert PDF Browser Plugin, or possibly the older Adobe PDF plug-in (I don't know what its human-readable name is, but its filename is "AdobePDFViewer.plugin")

Depending on what we find out, we might be able to block this new plug-in automatically (or users might be able to disable it themselves using the hidden pref described above).
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino

dukeblue002
 
Posts: 2
Joined: April 21st, 2012, 8:18 am

Post Posted April 22nd, 2012, 7:15 am

I deleted AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin emptied the trash then closed Camino and restarted my Macbook. Still having same problems. That didn't fix it. Then I downloaded the Schubert PDF Browser Plugin with Camino, version 2.3.x in the ~/Library/Application Support/Camino/Internet Plug-Ins folder and that did not work either. I am not a tech person so I am not going to try and do what Uncle Asad said about disabling plug-ins because I don't want to screw things up. There has to be a simple way that a is easy for me to understand about how to fix this.

phiw13
 
Posts: 2777
Joined: November 7th, 2002, 1:00 am
Location: Japan

Post Posted April 22nd, 2012, 8:04 am

@dukeblue002
Quit Camino and delete the pluginreg.dat in your profiel folder: ~/Library/Application Support/Camino/.

cleanhead
 
Posts: 149
Joined: August 3rd, 2003, 10:34 am

Post Posted April 22nd, 2012, 10:55 am

Uncle Asad wrote:If anyone would like to do some additional troubleshooting for us, can you
1) In Camino, set the camino.disabled_plugin_names hidden pref to "Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in" (no quotes).
2) Quit Camino.
3) Reinstall AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin
4) Launch Camino

Report what happens when trying to view PDFs (particularly if you have *another* PDF plug-in installed, either version 2.3.x of the Schubert PDF Browser Plugin, or possibly the older Adobe PDF plug-in (I don't know what its human-readable name is, but its filename is "AdobePDFViewer.plugin")

I can confirm that Camino disables the AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin using that procedure. Pdf files download in Camino and display online in Safari 5.1.5. It does break Firefox 11.0, but who cares? Sorry, I don't have the Schubert plugin. I prefer to download pdfs, then read them in Preview.

phiw13
 
Posts: 2777
Joined: November 7th, 2002, 1:00 am
Location: Japan

Post Posted April 22nd, 2012, 4:14 pm

Uncle Asad wrote:Report what happens when trying to view PDFs (particularly if you have *another* PDF plug-in installed, either version 2.3.x of the Schubert PDF Browser Plugin, or possibly the older Adobe PDF plug-in (I don't know what its human-readable name is, but its filename is "AdobePDFViewer.plugin")

Disabling / blocking the Adobe NPAPI pdf plugin in Camino and then installing the Shubert plugin in ~/Application Support/Camino/Internet plugins allows to view PDF files in the browser without problems (tested on 10.7.3).

RPMozley

User avatar
 
Posts: 502
Joined: August 12th, 2006, 4:47 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Post Posted April 22nd, 2012, 6:18 pm

Just updated Adobe Reader 10.1.3 and new NPAPI plugin installed. I've already got the Shubert plugin installed, and testing with this link to a test pdf I didn't encounter any issue with it not displaying (without having to block the Adobe plugin).
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9

LarsS
 
Posts: 7
Joined: April 23rd, 2012, 1:51 am

Post Posted April 23rd, 2012, 1:54 am

This thread is really helpful and I had the same problem. Now I got rid of that Adobe plug-in which clearly was installed with the lastest Adobe Reader update. Camino works perfect again.

Thanks!

Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

User avatar
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: July 24th, 2004, 1:38 pm
Location: بين العالمين

Post Posted April 23rd, 2012, 11:37 am

RPMozley wrote:Just updated Adobe Reader 10.1.3 and new NPAPI plugin installed. I've already got the Shubert plugin installed, and testing with this link to a test pdf I didn't encounter any issue with it not displaying (without having to block the Adobe plugin).

What's the timestamp on each (the .plugin directory, not any of the contents), and were they both installed in the same folder, or are they in different Internet Plug-Ins folders?
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino

Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

User avatar
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: July 24th, 2004, 1:38 pm
Location: بين العالمين

Post Posted April 23rd, 2012, 11:40 am

LarsS wrote:This thread is really helpful and I had the same problem. Now I got rid of that Adobe plug-in which clearly was installed with the lastest Adobe Reader update. Camino works perfect again.

It's possible Adobe will try to continue to re-install that plug-in, so we're working on a way in Camino to disable it (prevent Gecko from using it). Thanks to everyone who has contributed here!
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino

RPMozley

User avatar
 
Posts: 502
Joined: August 12th, 2006, 4:47 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Post Posted April 23rd, 2012, 11:58 am

Uncle Asad wrote:What's the timestamp on each (the .plugin directory, not any of the contents), and were they both installed in the same folder, or are they in different Internet Plug-Ins folders?

The time stamp for the new NPAPI was at install time, as for the other I don't recall at the moment but it certainly wasn't install time (creation or modification - will update post when I find out date).
Both plugins were installed in the all user Library, installer asked for admin password.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9

herbs
 
Posts: 568
Joined: November 22nd, 2003, 8:39 pm

Post Posted April 23rd, 2012, 12:37 pm

Howdy,

I seem to remember that there is a preference in Adobe Reader that controls the installation of the plugins. I've turned that off and AR updates don't try to re-install. The first time around I may have manually removed the plugins.

PS: Don't use the Shubert plugin either. Just download and manually open in Preview.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz

LarsS
 
Posts: 7
Joined: April 23rd, 2012, 1:51 am

Post Posted April 23rd, 2012, 1:08 pm

Uncle Asad wrote:
LarsS wrote:This thread is really helpful and I had the same problem. Now I got rid of that Adobe plug-in which clearly was installed with the lastest Adobe Reader update. Camino works perfect again.

It's possible Adobe will try to continue to re-install that plug-in, so we're working on a way in Camino to disable it (prevent Gecko from using it). Thanks to everyone who has contributed here!


That'd be great!

Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

User avatar
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: July 24th, 2004, 1:38 pm
Location: بين العالمين

Post Posted April 23rd, 2012, 1:46 pm

RPMozley wrote:
Uncle Asad wrote:What's the timestamp on each (the .plugin directory, not any of the contents), and were they both installed in the same folder, or are they in different Internet Plug-Ins folders?

The time stamp for the new NPAPI was at install time, as for the other I don't recall at the moment but it certainly wasn't install time (creation or modification - will update post when I find out date).
Both plugins were installed in the all user Library, installer asked for admin password.

Thanks! Just trying to see if there's something obvious (based on what we know about the mess that is Gecko's "determine which plug-in to use" logic; usually a newer one wins) to explain why you didn't have any problems while everyone else did ;-)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino

RPMozley

User avatar
 
Posts: 502
Joined: August 12th, 2006, 4:47 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Post Posted April 23rd, 2012, 2:47 pm

Ah, well I do have Schubert plugin installed within the Camino profile folder, which does seem to take precedence. Sorry I didn't specify that previously.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9

Return to Camino


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests