MozillaZine

Gmail is faltering in Camino

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

oojo
 
Posts: 3
Joined: April 25th, 2012, 7:48 am

Post Posted April 25th, 2012, 8:40 am

Gmail no longer likes Camino. Gmail runs an auto-test and tries to install the newest version of FireFox.

I'm a webmaster and I need several opertional browsers to keep various functions/needs seperate in my operatrion. I use FireFox, Camino, iCab and Safari frequently every day.
I really need Camino to interface with Gmail. No, I do NOT want to use Chrome.

My current version of Camino is: Version 2.1.2 (1.9.2.28 20120308211433)
When I try to get a more recent build, I'm informed that I'm already using the latest version.

Periodically over the past two days, Gmail has spasms with Camino. Gmail locks-up and refuses to refresh its InBox. Then, all of a sudden, Gmail flashes an attractive screen that highly recommends downloading the latest version of my browser. Within a couple of seconds a new FireFox appears, like it or not! Camino is pushed aside and doesn't work.

My Question:
Does anyone know why Camino and Gmail can't be compatible any more?
OR:
Is there a fix that someone at Camino can publish as soon as possible?
I would be very grateful if someone can help me and probably many other Camino users with Gmail.
TIA

cflawson

User avatar
 
Posts: 4721
Joined: December 26th, 2004, 2:54 pm
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post Posted April 25th, 2012, 10:56 am

How on earth is Gmail launching Firefox for you? If that's indeed what's happening, I'd say you've got much bigger problems than Camino compatibility.

FWIW, Gmail works fine here and always has. (Did you post the above using Safari, or did you post it using the version of Camino you're using to access Gmail?)

cl

davedit

User avatar
 
Posts: 390
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 7:56 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post Posted April 25th, 2012, 11:10 am

For me, the yellow notification box appears at the top every time I go to my inbox now. It says "You are using an old version of Firefox which Gmail no longer supports. Some features may not work correctly" and it gives links to Firefox or to Dismiss it. If I dismiss it, it'll reappear next time I go to my inbox.
Camino Themes and Stuff (If that doesn't work, try the mirror)
Pimp My Camino

cflawson

User avatar
 
Posts: 4721
Joined: December 26th, 2004, 2:54 pm
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post Posted April 25th, 2012, 1:47 pm

davedit wrote:For me, the yellow notification box appears at the top every time I go to my inbox now. It says "You are using an old version of Firefox which Gmail no longer supports. Some features may not work correctly" and it gives links to Firefox or to Dismiss it. If I dismiss it, it'll reappear next time I go to my inbox.


I see that too, but that's hardly the same as what was described above. (Not even close, in fact.)

cl

oojo
 
Posts: 3
Joined: April 25th, 2012, 7:48 am

Post Posted April 25th, 2012, 7:43 pm

cflawson wrote:How on earth is Gmail launching Firefox for you? If that's indeed what's happening, I'd say you've got much bigger problems than Camino compatibility.

FWIW, Gmail works fine here and always has. (Did you post the above using Safari, or did you post it using the version of Camino you're using to access Gmail?)

cl


This is my first time on the board, CL. Please bear with me as I'm not hip to the protocols here.

Gmail has always worked the way I needed it. POP engaged and IMAP disengaged. The filtering is great and incoming/outgoing history is easily accessible. The Spam feature is great, too.

I've been getting that yellow notification box, too. I think that from here on out, I think that the update notification might be sending signals back to the mother-lode. To that end, I'm ignoring it and will just let everything run "unattended" as it were.

Btw, I prefer iCab for most of my browsing, such as like right now and before on my first post here. It has a lot of user interdiction with preferences, and a myriad of other features. A bit intimidating at first, it eventually becomes natural to operate it. Camino has been the perfect interface to Gmail.

I guess the bottom line is to just leave everything alone for the time being.

Thanks for your concern and thoughts.

- oojo

oojo
 
Posts: 3
Joined: April 25th, 2012, 7:48 am

Post Posted April 25th, 2012, 8:07 pm

davedit wrote:For me, the yellow notification box appears at the top every time I go to my inbox now. It says "You are using an old version of Firefox which Gmail no longer supports. Some features may not work correctly" and it gives links to Firefox or to Dismiss it. If I dismiss it, it'll reappear next time I go to my inbox.


Hey Dave, a couple of weeks ago, I experimented a bit with Gmail's new Themes, but liked best the old "planets" theme that I've been running for a long time. Except, that in the new "Planets" theme the typography left alot to be desired in readability - too faint and scrawney-looking.

Btw, Camino has been my long-standing favorite from long ago. It has always treated me very well. At this moment, Gmail on Camino is running like there has never been any problem. Go figger.

Best and thanks very much.

oojo

HenriHudson
 
Posts: 65
Joined: June 10th, 2009, 6:04 am
Location: France

Post Posted May 1st, 2012, 12:37 am

davedit wrote:For me, the yellow notification box appears at the top every time I go to my inbox now. It says "You are using an old version of Firefox which Gmail no longer supports. Some features may not work correctly" and it gives links to Firefox or to Dismiss it. If I dismiss it, it'll reappear next time I go to my inbox.


I see that box repeatedly too, and even though gmail and google cookies are allowed on my Camino, clicking the "don't show me this message again" link (or whatever it is called in English, i'm in France) doesn't work, doesn't register.

There used to be a "show Camino as" + common browsers list option in the Camino preferences, where Firefox was the default option. May be that is related? If so, (how) can i change that option now in case it is responsible for that behavior?

cflawson

User avatar
 
Posts: 4721
Joined: December 26th, 2004, 2:54 pm
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post Posted May 1st, 2012, 3:21 am

HenriHudson wrote:There used to be a "show Camino as" + common browsers list option in the Camino preferences, where Firefox was the default option. May be that is related? If so, (how) can i change that option now in case it is responsible for that behavior?


You're probably thinking of the UserAgent pref pane, but I highly suggest you do NOT use that as a workaround unless absolutely necessary, as Google in particular isn't UA-sniffing for fun or out of spite. Telling Google you're using a browser with a (substantially -- and in this case, Firefox 4 would probably qualify as "substantially") newer rendering engine than you're actually using is likely to lead to mildly or severely broken sites.

The best way to handle that sort of thing is to spoof your user-agent ONLY when visiting the particular site that's giving you trouble, and immediately change it back when you're done browsing that specific site.

cl

HenriHudson
 
Posts: 65
Joined: June 10th, 2009, 6:04 am
Location: France

Post Posted May 2nd, 2012, 1:15 am

cflawson wrote:
HenriHudson wrote:There used to be a "show Camino as" + common browsers list option in the Camino preferences, where Firefox was the default option. May be that is related? If so, (how) can i change that option now in case it is responsible for that behavior?


You're probably thinking of the UserAgent pref pane, but I highly suggest you do NOT use that as a workaround unless absolutely necessary, as Google in particular isn't UA-sniffing for fun or out of spite. Telling Google you're using a browser with a (substantially -- and in this case, Firefox 4 would probably qualify as "substantially") newer rendering engine than you're actually using is likely to lead to mildly or severely broken sites.
cl


Thank you very much for clearing this, cl.
Are there also security issues involved with this spoofing, or 'just' a broken rendering of sites?
Also, how can i access the UserAgent pref pane? Is that in the hidden prefs? (I never used them up to now.)

RPMozley

User avatar
 
Posts: 502
Joined: August 12th, 2006, 4:47 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Post Posted May 2nd, 2012, 11:32 am

Download the dmg file from this web site User Agent prefpane.

If there isn't any installer on the disk image (can't remember if there was one):
Do not open the preference pane, this will only try and install it into System Preferences.
Put the preference pane inside the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Camino/PreferencePanes (~ = Your home folder).
Or if you want to install it for all users, use the main Library folder (same route listed) adding folders if they don't already exist.

Start Camino and new user agent pane will be in Camino's preferences.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9

HenriHudson
 
Posts: 65
Joined: June 10th, 2009, 6:04 am
Location: France

Post Posted May 3rd, 2012, 3:40 am

Thanks, RPMozley, this is very helpful =D>

Return to Camino


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest