Curious problem

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

aragorn_499

Curious problem

Post by aragorn_499 »

Here's a new problem for me:

When I go to http://www.fandango.com/ the page appears initially but within a second or two the screen goes white. As don't recall this happening on any other website. Plus my Safari renders the fandango.com pages just fine.

I have emptied my cache. I have deleted all of fandango cookies. Java is enabled. I have unchecked all the Annoyance Blocking features. I can't think of anything else to do.

Any ideas. I'd appreciate if you would visit the Fandango site and see if your Camino browser encounters the same problem. And I invite your suggestions on how to correct the problem. Thanks!
RPMozley

Re: Curious problem

Post by RPMozley »

Some Javascript code from http://www.nbcudigitaladops.com is causing the white page, mainly due to it trying to load an ad from another server that seems to be offline or unavailable.
If you block scripts from nbcudigitaladops.com then the page shows up fine.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
aragorn_499

Post by aragorn_499 »

How do I block scripts? I do not see this option offered in Preferences.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

There isn't any way to do it in prefs, but you can add a permission manually to permissions.sqlite using a database editor. (If there's an easier way to do it, I'm all ears.)

cl
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

...but if you don't mind blocking *all* access to that site, you can add it to your /etc/hosts file using your favourite text editor (needs to be capable of root privileges):

127.0.0.1 www.nbcudigitaladops.com

That's what I did, because I've never seen a site that needed to access nbcudigitaladops.com in order to function properly.

RPMozley, did you happen to catch the page source when you saw that blanking? I'm curious to know if it's something we can fix in our own ad-blocking.

cl
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

cflawson wrote:(If there's an easier way to do it, I'm all ears.)

We really need someone to write a third-party preference pane that exposes all of the permissions system :-"

/hides
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

cflawson wrote:RPMozley, did you happen to catch the page source when you saw that blanking? I'm curious to know if it's something we can fix in our own ad-blocking.

No, there wasn't any source as the site wasn't loading anything (would have timed out if I had left it) it was "Transfering data from secure.quantserve.com..." showing in the status bar. (Possibly trying to load another script)

cflawson wrote:If there's an easier way to do it, I'm all ears.

Oh, I used CamiNoScript prefpane (Intel only) to edit the permissions info. Only issue with it is you have to look at the source to find the script address, there's no interface like in the NoScript Firefox add-on.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

RPMozley wrote:
cflawson wrote:RPMozley, did you happen to catch the page source when you saw that blanking? I'm curious to know if it's something we can fix in our own ad-blocking.

No, there wasn't any source as the site wasn't loading anything (would have timed out if I had left it) it was "Transfering data from secure.quantserve.com..." showing in the status bar. (Possibly trying to load another script

Color me totally unsurprised that four quantserve.com domains are already being blocked via my hosts file :-p

Smokey, shut it :-p

cl