New Java applet whitelist add-on

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

haleakalari

Re: New Java applet whitelist add-on

Post by haleakalari »

all seems to be working now!
s'wheat.
the bemonstering of your ganache awaits!
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Since the Java sandbox breach is now acknowledged and public (presumably fixed in Apple's recent Java updates for 10.6 and 10.7, though I don't know for sure; it's certainly never going to be fixed on 10.4 and 10.5, though), it's important to release an updated version of aoJavaPolicy.

Version 1.0.1 is now available; it fixes the pref-creation bug haleakalari identified, strips any stray spaces from the preference string before comparing hostnames (the problem phiw13 discovered), and adds an automatic check for updates on startup.

I've been using this version for several weeks now and haven't noticed any problems, but please report back if you discover anything. I'll try to fix any issues as quickly as possible.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

(in the memorable words of one developer…)
Ship It!

Me is grateful that CamiBert is still around every once in while to provide a little something. While Java on 10.6 is supposedly patched, I prefer a no-risk policy and installed it for the one OS user that has Java turned on (games,… ::sigh:: – shouldn't them kid do her homework ?)

Version 1.0.1 works fine (replacing the dev version I had installed)
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

There appears to be a bug in version 1.0.1 where, at least in some circumstances, the (internal) whitelist doesn't get correctly populated from the "ao_java_policy.allowed_sites" preference when Camino is launched (thereby preventing all Java applets from loading).

I've seen this in my use, although it didn't show up in my testing. I've just figured out what the problem is but have yet to debug why it's happening; in the meantime, if you experience this problem, you can work around it simply by adding a dummy value to the end of "ao_java_policy.allowed_sites" preference, pressing the OK button to close the sheet, and then repeating the same steps to remove the dummy value (it's unwise to leave a dummy value in the pref on a permanent basis, lest you forget about it or it accidentally matches some undesired site).
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
haleakalari

Post by haleakalari »

thanks for pointing that out asad! coincidentally i was just experiencing this issue for the first time this morning.
the bemonstering of your ganache awaits!