Where Is Last Pass Hiding On My Camino?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

fyreflye

Where Is Last Pass Hiding On My Camino?

Post by fyreflye »

Recently I stupidly and foolishly downloaded an app that claimed to be a Last Pass "extension" for Camino. Now, I know perfectly well that Camino does't do Extensions but I was curious. When I next opened Camino I got an error message basically telling me that Camino couldn't handle the plugin and that it had been disabled. So I went looking for the plugin in all the Internet Plugin folders I could find and there was no sign of Last Pass in any of them. I searched with "Find" and "Spotlight" to no avail. Well, no problem, right? Except that now every time I open Camino I get the same error message telling me that Camino couldn't use the plugin and had disabled it. Anyone know how I can get rid of that increasingly annoying message? Where is that plugin or its devil spawn?
Last edited by fyreflye on May 10th, 2012, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Re: Where Is Last Pass Hiding On My Camino?

Post by Uncle Asad »

The message isn't coming from Camino; it's coming from LastPass (as detailed here in some other threads, LastPass has broken version-checking and won't run in Camino 2.1 even if LastPass is compatible with Camino 2.1).

I believe it installs as an InputManager, so check /Library/InputManagers (the Library at the root of your disk, not the one in your user folder) first. If it's not there, hopefully some other LastPass users can help.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
fyreflye

Post by fyreflye »

Not there, but thanks for the suggestion.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Check in any other InputManagers folders that might be present, too.

Did the download have an installer? Try running the installer and see if there's an uninstall option.

cl
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

cflawson wrote:Check in any other InputManagers folders that might be present, too.

On 10.5 and up, the OS will only load input managers from the root Library's InputManagers folder, not from other InputManager folders.

cflawson wrote:Did the download have an installer? Try running the installer and see if there's an uninstall option.

If it had an installer that used the standard Mac OS X Installer.app (and didn't do a lot of post-processing via shell script), you can use Installer.app to view the file locations. Open the .pkg and choose "Show Files" from Installer's File menu.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
fyreflye

Post by fyreflye »

There wasn't really any sign of a download and installation. I clicked the link, nothing seemed to happen. The only result was the error message when I reopened Camino.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

If you test with a clean profile, does the same problem happen (quit Camino and move ~/Library/Application Support/Camino to the desktop or some other safe place, then relaunch Camino)?
fyreflye

Post by fyreflye »

phiw13 wrote:If you test with a clean profile, does the same problem happen (quit Camino and move ~/Library/Application Support/Camino to the desktop or some other safe place, then relaunch Camino)?

I have tried your suggestion. With a clean profile the same error message comes up when I start Camino.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

hmm, ok. I'm quite a bit out of ideas (esp not being a last pass user).
One thing you can try is logging in into a new user OS X user account on your Mac, and try Camino from there. If Camino launches without error messages, at least we know that whatever you installed is located somewhere in your normal user account.

Oh, wait, maybe. If you quit Camino and move the file ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.camino.plist and then launch Camino ?

BTW, do you remember where you 'downloaded' that thing ?
jwthomas

Post by jwthomas »

I tried the move the file ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.camino.plist and then launch Camino option but it made no difference. As to where I found the Last Pass download, I wish I could remember, but I'm far too adventurous online for my own good.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
-John Thomas
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Does the console flags anything relevant when you start Camino?
Launch /Applications/Utilities/Console, then launch Camino and look at what (if anything) the Console logs.
(I thought this had been suggested before, but rereading the thread it appears not)
jwthomas

Post by jwthomas »

I'm not familiar enough with console to be certain, but I watched it as Camino booted up and I saw nothing that I could connect to this issue ](*,)
-John Thomas
fyreflye

Post by fyreflye »

I still haven't found the source of the problem, but I've stumbled upon where I found the supposedly Camino compatible download: https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php Note that it specifically claims compatibility with Camino 2.
herbs

Post by herbs »

fyreflye wrote:I still haven't found the source of the problem, but I've stumbled upon where I found the supposedly Camino compatible download: https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php Note that it specifically claims compatibility with Camino 2.

Howdy,

It appears that the Last Pass dmg you download contains an uninstall script.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
fyreflye

Post by fyreflye »

Well, I found the problem and I'm posting the answer here now in case it is or becomes helpful to others.
While browsing my folders intent on a cleanup I came across a folder in Application Support labeled Simbl.
Knowing very well that I currently had nothing on my HD that required Simbl I opened it, found another folder labeled Plugins, and inside it an object labeled LastPass Bundle. Did my heart skip a beat? Needless to say I deleted the Simbl folder and its contents, opened Camino, and the offending message was gone. I can't begin to tell you how much that message was bugging me every time I opened Camino. Thanks to all who tried to help.