Is there a hidden pref to control bandwidth???

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Etnier

Is there a hidden pref to control bandwidth???

Post by Etnier »

Is there a hidden pref to control bandwidth??? Camino seems to take as much as it can when downloading files and I would like to be able to reserve some bandwidth for other operations.

Is this possible, please???
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Is there a hidden pref to control bandwidth???

Post by cflawson »

I don't think OS X allows applications that level of control over the networking stack. The OS itself can probably ration bandwidth somehow, although in ~10 years of using Camino, I've never seen a download or other network access in Camino monopolize the available network connection so that other applications were unable to connect, so long as a reasonable network connection was in place. (Dialup or ISDN doesn't count; it's really easy to saturate either of those, and Camino has nothing to do with it ;) )

cl
Etnier

Post by Etnier »

Thanks for this. I would guess from that the answer to my question is no.

FWIW It's not a case of Camino 'monopolizing', I'm just trying to carve out some wriggle room.

Apps like SpeedDownload, NZBVortex and Unison do have adjustable controls on the max bandwidth consumed.
Drayon

Post by Drayon »

If you have the url for files to be downloaded, rather than links with image verification then maybe you want to try 'wget' from the command line and use the following option
"--limit-rate=128k". This would limit the rate to 128KB/sec. Change the number as required and or change from kilobytes to to megabytes with 'm' rather than 'k'

Here is real world example:

wget --limit-rate=999k "http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/camino/nightly/latest-2.1-M1.9.2/Camino.dmg"

Note: quotation marks around URL are required when URL contains spaces, or weird characters, best to use them all the time regardless.
Etnier

Post by Etnier »

Thanks for that!