List the Firefox Extensions You are Using with Camino Here

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

haleakalari

List the Firefox Extensions You are Using with Camino Here

Post by haleakalari »

i know there is this page, but has anyone compiled a more comprehensive list?

would anyone like to list the extensions they are using, maybe with instructions for which files from the extension package to drop into the components folder?

i'm currently using the following:
- Google Analytics Opt-Out
(instructions for installation on page)
- Uncle Asad's Java Applet Whitelist Add-on*
(instructions for installation on page)
- Universal Behavioral Advertising Opt-out
(instructions for installation listed on the page i linked to at the top of this post)

anyone else care to contribute?

i'm very curious to see what other extensions people have gotten to work with camino.
---

*i know uncle asad's java whitelist add-on isn't a firefox extension, i just mention it because it's really useful and it's installed the same way a compatible firefox extension is.
Last edited by haleakalari on May 12th, 2012, 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the bemonstering of your ganache awaits!
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: List of Firefox Extensions That Can Work with Camino?

Post by cflawson »

As a general rule, anything without UI (or the portions of the extension that don't require UI) that also works with Firefox 3.6.x should work.

cl
haleakalari

Re: List of Firefox Extensions That Can Work with Camino?

Post by haleakalari »

cflawson wrote:As a general rule, anything without UI (or the portions of the extension that don't require UI) that also works with Firefox 3.6.x should work.

cl

thanks cl. i'm just trying to get a feel for what other people are using / have gotten to work. it's easier than searching through the thousands of firefox add-ons out there :mrgreen: i also think it would be super handy if we had a more comprehensive list.
the bemonstering of your ganache awaits!
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: List the Firefox Extensions You are Using with Camino He

Post by cflawson »

Agreed, just trying to give folks an idea of what might be possible if they're motivated to try something new.

Are there any extensions *other* than AdBlock Plus and the Web developer extension du jour (I don't know what that might be at the moment) and maybe NoScript that are really "must-haves" for Firefox users? Last time I used Firefox semi-regularly, those were the only three that I really felt like I needed to install. (There's a Camino-native "equivalent" of NoScript out there called CamiNoScript, but unfortunately the original dev had a HD crash and lost the source, so there won't be any more updates to it. Sadly, CamiNoScript isn't the first Camino add-on to experience that exact fate.)

All the privacy stuff, including both of the ones you mention above, is handled by my giant hosts file. As far as I can tell, blocking all network access to google-analytics.com has not resulted in any serious brokenness in the last year or two; most of the complains about blocking it causing breakage are a couple of years old. Then again, maybe I don't browse any sites that use it for Every Single Thing.

cl
Drayon

Post by Drayon »

I'd love to see HTTPS Everywhere on Camino.
There is an xpi file for FF2x and FF3x
https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Drayon wrote:I'd love to see HTTPS Everywhere on Camino.
There is an xpi file for FF2x and FF3x
https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

I looked at that a long time ago; as I recall, in theory it should (mostly) work, but for some reason it wasn't.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino