version 2.1.2 not displaying web pages

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

kamper318

version 2.1.2 not displaying web pages

Post by kamper318 »

I have upgraded to Camino 2.1.2 running Mac OS X 10.5.8. Since then certain web pages won't display at all such as Yahoo and Google. Other web pages display fine. Any ideas?
HenriHudson

Re: version 2.1.2 not displaying web pages

Post by HenriHudson »

[EDITED for reasons explained below on this page]

As stated in a previous post I have been having some problems in the last two weeks: Facebook chat or messaging is not working anymore, and pages show poorly in terms of online option choices.

I have noticed that Java is not enabled in my Camino Preferences anymore (and the pref is greyed, as in "not possible"). I wonder if this has something to do with the latest Apple security update recently issued (even though Apple had said previously there would be no such update anymore) for MacOS 10.5.8, which was supposed to solve the Flashback "virus" problem, because i remember reading in Tidbits that Apple has dropped Java from MacOS Lion on. May be by "fixing" Java for MacOS 10.5.8, they killed a function central to Camino?
Last edited by HenriHudson on June 15th, 2012, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Can you list specific URLs where pages don't display (and in what manner don't they display? Do they never load, or go blank after loading, or something else)? I haven't seen any issues with Google…

HenriHudson wrote:I have noticed that Java is not enabled in my Camino Preferences anymore (and the pref is greyed, as in "not possible").

This is the default state of Java in Camino 2.1.x, disabled (and greyed out unless you have specifically installed a Java plug-in on 10.4/10.5, or specifically installed Java on 10.7). We turned Java off for 2.1 specifically because it's not often used and is prone to vulnerabilities that are not quickly "fixed by Apple".

HenriHudson wrote:May be by "fixing" Java for MacOS 10.5.8, they killed a function central to Camino?

It's hardly central to Camino since we default to it being off ;-)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
HenriHudson

Post by HenriHudson »

:( I must deeply apologize for making you guys waste your time reading the first version of my post above, as i just discovered that for a totally obscure (to me) reason, LittleSnitch was blocking all Camino http connections (not https ones) on my Mac.

I surely do not remember having ever checked this "block all Camino connections" box in LS, so this is kind of suspicious, but the fact is, after unblocking it, almost everything works now. Except Facebook messaging, chat, and inline options, for some reason.

a very sorry HH