Problems with blocking ads and pop-ups

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Gena-Left

Problems with blocking ads and pop-ups

Post by Gena-Left »

I just switched over to Camino 2.1.2 from Firefox and am very pleased with the browser. However, the ad and pop-up blocker doesn't seem to be working properly as I still get a number of both once in a while and amendments to user_ad_blocking.css or ad_blocking.css seem to have no effect.

As far as I can tell I should be able to block an add on the site http://hbl.fi/ by adding the line

Code: Select all

img[src*="adform.net],

I'm new to editing CSS rules, so I hope someone can help me get rid of these nuisances and get started on further customizing my browsing preferences.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Problems with blocking ads and pop-ups

Post by cflawson »

If that's the last line you're adding, you need to lose that trailing comma. :)

cl
Gena-Left

Post by Gena-Left »

Thanks, but no, I added it above other img rules.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

You've toggled "Block web advertising" off and back on after adding the rule to user_ad_blocking.css, and your block of rules ends with { display: none !important } ?
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

My Finnish is terrible :-p but what I see as obvious ads on that page would be better blocked by:

div[id^="adswrapper"]

and

div[class="ads"]

It's entirely possible that the site is serving up different ads to different people, though. No matter what browser I load it in, I don't see anything coming from adform.net at all. You do have the syntax correct, assuming that you've gone through the steps mentioned by Uncle Asad above.

cl
Gena-Left

Post by Gena-Left »

Thanks, but it seems the ad blocking is just not working at all. There doesn't seem to be any difference on any site I've tried with the ad blocking turned on or off, including pages designed to test ad blockers.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

If you turn on this hidden pref or install ChimericalConsole (both require a restart) and then toggle ad-blocking off and then back on, do you see any error messages when toggling ad-blocking back on?

The only thing I can think of is some sort of CSS syntax error causing Gecko to ignore most or all of the rules in the stylesheet(s)…
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
Gena-Left

Post by Gena-Left »

Thanks, I might have messed up ad_blocking.css earlier, because after a reinstall ad blocking started working and after adding

div[id^="adswrapper"],
div[class="ads"]
{ display: none !important }

into user_ad_blocking.css the ads were gone!