Is there a way to install DoNotTrackPlus in Camino?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

fizzicist

Is there a way to install DoNotTrackPlus in Camino?

Post by fizzicist »

Abine.com's installer page for DoNotTrackPlus recognizes Camino as "Firefox", and does actually allow the extension to download as a file named "dntp-firefox-44.xpi", but it ends there. Camino won't actually install it. Is there a way to get it to work in Camino?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Last edited by fizzicist on September 10th, 2012, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Is there a way to install DoNotTrackPlus in Camino?

Post by cflawson »

Does that add-on work in Firefox 3.6? If it doesn't, you'd be wasting your time regardless. Reason I ask is because I *think* most of the do-not-track stuff didn't make an appearance in Gecko until somewhat recently, well after Gecko 1.9.2 (Firefox 3.6/Camino 2.1) was released, and there may not be Core support for what that add-on does in the first place.

cl
fizzicist

Post by fizzicist »

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, what I really wanted was some kind of do not track add-on for SeaMonkey. DoNotTrackPlus definitely doesn't work in SeaMonkey, and the folks at Abine have explicitly stated that they do not plan to support SeaMonkey "at this time". I thought it was worth asking whether there's a way to make it work with Camino while I was looking for other options.

As it turns out, it doesn't matter. The Ghostery add-on does work with SeaMonkey, so I don't need DoNotTrackPlus now.

BTW, Camino won't install Ghostery, but actually I don't mind. Right now, I'm using Camino as my "pristine" browser, and I think I'll keep it that way.

Thanks again.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

cflawson wrote:Does that add-on work in Firefox 3.6?

It appears that it does.

cflawson wrote:Reason I ask is because I *think* most of the do-not-track stuff didn't make an appearance in Gecko until somewhat recently, well after Gecko 1.9.2 (Firefox 3.6/Camino 2.1) was released

Despite the similar name, this extension has nothing at all in common with the "Do Not Track" support in Gecko (which is just an HTTP header, and which can be enabled in Camino 2.1.x with existing Firefox extension components).

cflawson wrote:and there may not be Core support for what that add-on does in the first place.

The guts of this extension is a standard Gecko content policy (plus a lot of other random JavaScript goop to control which things to block).

Due to the JS goop and the toolbar icon, the extension is not going to work in Camino without an extensive rewrite (I don't know why it wouldn't work in SeaMonkey, though, unless the vendor is just being lazy about what overlay to attach to).
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
fizzicist

Post by fizzicist »

Uncle Asad wrote:...(I don't know why it wouldn't work in SeaMonkey, though, unless the vendor is just being lazy about what overlay to attach to).

Go to this page with SeaMonkey:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... trackplus/

Underneath the Add to Firefox button, there's some red text that says "Not available for Firefox 2.12"...which means it's correctly reading the version of SeaMonkey (v2.12) but interpreting it as "Firefox".

Click Add to Firefox, and the page displays an alert that says "This add-on is not compatible with your version of Firefox." There's a button that says, Install Anyway. Click the button and SeaMonkey downloads the file, but then displays a prompt that says, "DoNotTrackPlus could not be installed because it is not compatible with SeaMonkey 2.12."

I contacted Abine.com and asked whether they have a version that works with SeaMonkey, and if not, whether they plan to offer one. They answered "Not at this time."

They lose. Ghostery works just fine. :mrgreen: