Camino 2.1.2 and annoying message of Gmail

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

upkeep

Re: Camino 2.1.2 and annoying message of Gmail

Post by upkeep »

cflawson wrote:Facebook at least seems smart enough not to show the message repeatedly once you dismiss it the first time. At least, I haven't seen it since it showed up once a day or so ago.

You guys should complain to Google and suggest they do the same.

cl

Sorry. It does still seem to show up every time I've just logged-in since my initial post. Except now. No more annoying Facebook message.

Fun with numbers. I forgot I have the installable User Agent widget in my Preferences Panel, so I just went and got the user-agent string for Safari 5.1.7 (current enough) and entered the info. Problem solved. Now these aggravating sites I periodically visit can annoy someone else. :shock: :wink: NOTE: Don't use Safari 6 user-agent string, as some places are having issues with this version.

OK. Maybe not a recommended practice, but for the time being, it should work pretty well.
rocketmouse

Post by rocketmouse »

Then why are you wasting everybody's time?!
MacBook Pro (model 5,1; 4G RAM; 750G HD; Intel 64-bit mode)
MacBook (model 1,1; 2G RAM; 500G HD; Intel 32-bit)
Access to iBook G4 (model 6,5; 768MB RAM; 30G HD; PowerPC)
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

rocketmouse wrote:Then why are you wasting everybody's time?!

Are you addressing that comment to me, or is it directed elsewhere?
rocketmouse

Post by rocketmouse »

Sorry, upkeep. It was in reply to cflawson's post about not caring about the annoying messages... because he (she?) doesn't use gmail.

And thank you for the idea of using the User Agent widget. I'll be looking into that.
MacBook Pro (model 5,1; 4G RAM; 750G HD; Intel 64-bit mode)
MacBook (model 1,1; 2G RAM; 500G HD; Intel 32-bit)
Access to iBook G4 (model 6,5; 768MB RAM; 30G HD; PowerPC)
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

rocketmouse wrote:Sorry, upkeep. It was in reply to cflawson's post about not caring about the annoying messages... because he (she?) doesn't use gmail.

No worries, and thanx for the clarity. Appreciated.

rocketmouse wrote:And thank you for the idea of using the User Agent widget. I'll be looking into that.

It does work well. But you should note that at certain sites, it is going to assume you are using a more advanced browser, and in some rare cases, may push content at you that this current version of Camino may not be able to actually handle. That said, I have done this 'browser bluffing' before with no notable issues whatsoever, but you just never know what you may run into. As you can see, I'm spoofing as FF 3.6.9 and earlier I was spoofing as Safari 5.1.7 and I'm actually using 10.4.11 on PPC . . . and of course, my fave . . . Camino 2.1.2. You can find it here:

http://derailer.org/useragent/

For the record, I'm using theUser Agent 1.0.1 (53) version.

Over the last day or so, I've found that the Firefox 3.6.9 user-agent string to be the most stable, especially in places like Facebook. Most other places that don't have 'remind-to-update' messages, the default Camino one is fine. Only so much fudging is possible. Eventually, those of us using Caminio on 10.4.11 (like me) will just have to pony up and upgrade our hardware, and probably update significant amounts of productivity software as well. All to support a free browser. :roll:
Last edited by upkeep on October 19th, 2012, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

upkeep wrote:
cflawson wrote:Facebook at least seems smart enough not to show the message repeatedly once you dismiss it the first time. At least, I haven't seen it since it showed up once a day or so ago.

You guys should complain to Google and suggest they do the same.

cl

Sorry. It does still seem to show up every time I've just logged-in since my initial post.

Maybe it only shows on initial login? I keep Facebook logged in.

cl
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

cflawson wrote:
Sorry. It does still seem to show up every time I've just logged-in since my initial post.

Maybe it only shows on initial login? I keep Facebook logged in.

cl

That sounds very plausible. I'm setup to log-in each time, as I normally don't frequent the place. But since changing the user-agent string which 'updated' my browser, I haven't run into anymore nagging notices reminding me I'm out-of-date.
DanDD

Post by DanDD »

The easiest thing to do is go to about:config, type in user, and change where it says (like Firefox/3.6.28) to (like Firefox/4.0), at least it worked for me. Hope this helps.
Last edited by DanDD on January 16th, 2013, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dparker

Post by dparker »

It was a nice post. Even I was facing an issue when I installed Camino ver. 2.1.2 on my Mac computer. It asks me to update the version of Firefox when i am even surfing on the net. Waiting for more updates from you on Camino ver 2.1.2.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

DanDD wrote:The easiest thing to do is go to about:config, type in user, and change where it says (like Firefox/3.6.28) to (like Firefox/4.0), at least it worked for me. Hope this helps.

As has been noted several times, doing that long-term is a bad idea.

cl
pocketdare

Post by pocketdare »

Clearly this is a Chrome advertising banner. Funny thing to me is that gmail seems to work perfectly fine for me despite the fact that I'm apparently using a version of internet explorer which gmail no longer supports. So for now, I get to ignore the ad.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
This thread died nearly a year ago.
Please check the date before posting to these old threads.
Thanks.

Locking due to old age.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)