camino quits when image save attempted

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

tom older

camino quits when image save attempted

Post by tom older »

Every time I try to do a right-click save of an image to desktop, Camino simply quits. Disappears totally, and I have to restart it. This has been going on quite a while.

Is it a known bug? Or is there a fix I am missing? My system is Snow Leopard on a 2010 Mac Mini.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: camino quits when image save attempted

Post by cflawson »

When it quits, do you get the opportunity to submit a crash report? If so, have you done that, and can you visit about:crashes in Camino and paste a couple of the most recent crash IDs here?

cl
tom older

Post by tom older »

I hadn't any reported so I just tried to download one just now and reported the crash. This is the url of the page https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 2222121001

thanks
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Do you have anything that might be modifying open/save dialogs (Default Folder, things like that) installed on your system? If so, try disabling that and check again.

You'll also want to try this in a fresh OS X user account.

cl
tom older

Post by tom older »

Re your suggestion about try different users: I have now established that this quitting problem does not happen with my primary user account, the user name I launched as my prime user account on installation of Snow Leopard. However I have two other user accounts added later that I in fact use myself for different activities. In both of these, though set to be administrative accounts also, Camino quits when a rightclick save of an image is attempted. Not sure what this might narrow the source of the problem to.
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Try moving aside the entire ~/Library/Preferences folder in the affected accounts, then log out and log back in and re-launch Camino. If that works, it's a corrupt pref somewhere.

In theory, Camino shouldn't be crashing anyway, but having looked at that crash report, it doesn't look to me like there's anything we can do about these. They *appear* to be in Camino code, but I'm very suspicious of that, especially since the original user account you set up on the system doesn't have the problem.

cl
tom older

Post by tom older »

When I move ~/library/preferences to the desktop it just duplicates one on the desktop but leaves the original preferences folder sitting where it was, so nothing changes when I try logging out then back in and launching Camino. Wierd. I tried another browser in this account, Omniweb, and the image would dowload without problem on a rightclick. So the problem does seem specific to Camino in this particular user account.
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

OK, there's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say. Try moving the entire *contents* of that folder elsewhere, or try renaming the folder.

cl
tom older

Post by tom older »

I emptied the folder individually to a desktop folder, but no joy, same result.

Looking at the crash result, pretty much the same as the last one. Both say "EXC_BAD_ACCESS / KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE" for the failure and say in processor notes "WARNING: JSON file missing Add-ons"

I couldn't find a json file with spotlight though in the primary account, the one that has no problems, I got a result citing an "amdlog txt" file which opened to show details there of when I had downloaded music tracks, with much technical detail. Don't know if that's relevant
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

You probably ought to try Troubleshoot Camino, too: http://www.ardisson.org/smokey/moz/

That'll test with a fresh profile, in case it's something specifically in Camino's profile folder causing the issue.

cl
tom older

Post by tom older »

Thanks for pursuing this.

When I go to the Troubleshoot Camino link and click on it I get the message

</Users/new/Desktop could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred.

Try saving to a different location.>
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

tom,

* Can you look in Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) and see if there are entries at the moment the problem happened?

* Do you se the same problem if you download to a different location than 'Desktop' (e.g. the 'Dowloads' folder)

* try testing when booting your Mac in 'Safe' mode and see if the problem(s) happen again.