Camino doesn't show all fileds of a web page

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

krs99

Camino doesn't show all fileds of a web page

Post by krs99 »

I just upgraded to 2.1.2 hoping this ongoing issue would be resolved, but no such luck.

I find that Camino often does not show all fileds of a web page.
Trouble is - if something is missing, one usually doesn't know it's missing unless one has looked at that web page with another browser or it's a field that just has to be there.

The current example I have is with this web page:

http://tinyurl.com/8hd59uj

With Safari there is a field/pull down menu just above the first listing where one can select the order in one wishes to view the listings, ie by Recommended, by Location, by Price, by newest.
That option is missing in Camino completely.

I als find the same type of problem on many commercial booking sites, even the Dell site had that problem where I get right to the end of a list of items I wanted to purchase and the field to go to the final page is just not there in Camino but it's there in Safari - my first alternate browser.

I really like Camino and would like to continue using it, but having bits and pieces of web sites not rendering is a big problem.

Knut
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Camino doesn't show all fileds of a web page

Post by cflawson »

It's some sort of browser-sniffing, at least in the AirBNB case, because if I spoof Camino's UA string as Safari, the menu shows up. You should complain to the site (and also see if it shows up properly in Firefox 3.6; if it does, they DEFINITELY need to fix it).

Other sites with similar problems are likely to be browser-sniffing, too, but it's impossible to say for certain without evaluating each specific example.

cl
krs99

Post by krs99 »

Thanks for the reply.

I just did some more checking.

With Firefox 15.0.1 (which supposedly is the latest when I check for FF updates), I get the same problem as with Camino.
Tried it with Chrome, that works fine, same as Safari.

So what does that mean?
A 'Gecko' problem?
Maybe I need to report this as a bug.

Did a final test using Safari but setting the User Agent in Safari to Firefox 4.0.1
With that set up the field shows up correctly which tells me it's not a User Agent related issue, it's a rendering issue.
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

It's probably not a Gecko bug; it's very likely a bug in the code the site is serving to Gecko browsers. That's something the site needs to fix on their end, probably by actually testing with Firefox while doing development, which they clearly aren't doing if even the latest stable release doesn't render it properly.

cl
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

krs99 wrote:Did a final test using Safari but setting the User Agent in Safari to Firefox 4.0.1
With that set up the field shows up correctly which tells me it's not a User Agent related issue, it's a rendering issue.

If it were truly a rendering issue, Camino spoofed as Safari wouldn't work. I don't know specifics of how your test in Safari worked, but it sounds like it might not have been a valid test.

cl
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

That site is doing some completely crazy (and stupid) browser detection. If I go there with Camino under my normal OS X account (language is set to French), then the offending drop down appears correctly (and the site's language is set to French and currency to Jpn ¥).

With a test OS X account (language: English), nope, no drop down. Safari, no matter what UA string I use (Developer menu > User Agent), always works (and the site is always in English). Fizzledfox up till 15 (the en-us release builds) fails, but the 'firefoxaurora' build (fx 17 beta) works. So they are doing some checks on whatever language header Gecko sets (Gecko removed one relatively recently, forgot where the cut is with their stupid fast release cycles).
krs99

Post by krs99 »

Turns out this is not a site-specific problem.

I just ran into the same type of issue on ebay.

Did a search, tried to add the search to my searches with email notification but couldn't find the option/link to do that.
It used to be right near the top of the search results page.

So after looking all over for that option I remembered the AirBnB issue and used Safari to render that same webpage.
I didn't actually repeat the search, I just copied the URL in Camino and pasted it into Safari...and sure enough, the option to save the search is right where it always was, right at the top in plain view.
With Camino it just does not show up!

This is becoming a rather serious problem if Camino fails to render bits and pieces of websites.
If one doesn't know a particular piece of information is supposed to be there when it is not, one would not even know that there is a problem unless it's information that is absolutely required - like the button to complete an order which has been a problem as well on the Dell website.

PS: Just tried it with firefox. Firefox renders the page quite differently than Camino and Firefox does show the missing items that Camino does not show.
Turns out there are actually more than just the one I mentioned.
I took a screen shot of the page as rendered by Camino next to the identical page rendered by Firefos and the differences are amazing!
Not sure if I can attach an image here - I would post what I get.

And remember - this is an ebay search I did using Camino, the FF website was rendered by simply copying the URL in the Camino page and pasting it in the URL field of FF, I did not go through the search exercise on FF.
So even if the two web pages don't look identical, they should at least have the same information.

Camino is version 2.1.2
FF is version 15.0.1
Running on a Mac with OS 10.6.8

All the latest software as far as I can tell
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Comparison with Firefox 15 is not a valid comparison. Only comparison with Firefox 3.6 is a valid comparison.

I haven't had any problems with eBay lately, but I also haven't tried to edit or save any searches in the last couple months, either. It's possible they just recently changed something, but I think it's a lot more likely something in your settings might be causing the problem, if indeed there is any difference between Camino 2.1.2 and Firefox 3.6.

cl
krs99

Post by krs99 »

Sorry, but I don't follow you at all......

I don't normally use Firefox at all so the version I had on the Mac was out of date.
I checked for software updates of Firefox and version 15 was offered as the latest version - I have no idea where Firefox 3.6 gets in the picture that you keep referring to. If 3.6 was the latest one I was supposed to use, that is the version that should have been downloaded.
I also checked this webpage with the latest version of Safari and also with the latest version of Chrome - all three render the page pretty much identical, most important, they all show the various links and windows that are totally missing with Camino.
Camino is the odd man out - and not only on this site.

And this issue cannot be setting related as you suggest - there should be no setting in any browser that selectively prevents any links from showing.

The main reason I checked with Firefox is because FF and Camino use the same rendering engine.

As to you not noticing any problems - well, I haven't noticed any either and I would have never noiced any part of the web page missing if I wasn't looking for that link specifically and knew it had to be there.
It's really a mystery to me how a browser can just ignore certain parts of the website that are obviously there since three other major browsers display them.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Firefox 15 uses a different (newer) version of Gecko (the rendering engine) than Camino. It is very possible that that ebay page relies on something that Camino does not understand.
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

krs99 wrote:Did a search, tried to add the search to my searches with email notification but couldn't find the option/link to do that.
It used to be right near the top of the search results page.

I just tried it in Camino, and it's right there next to the results count: "17,694 results found for moto guzzi Save search".

The page looks essentially identical in Safari 5.1.7 on 10.6 (there are minor font differences, for instance, but nothing that actually matters), with the link in the exact same spot.

You should try using Troubleshoot Camino to test a fresh profile. I suspect you've got a corrupt cookie or something that's screwing up your eBay results. You should probably try deleting all your eBay cookies if it works fine using Troubleshoot Camino.

cl
krs99

Post by krs99 »

I just tried "Troubleshoot Camino" - got a new profile, but when I do the search on ebay I get exactly the same results as before.
When I copy the link in Camino and paste it into Chrome or any of the other browsers, the "Save Search" option appears - it's not there with Camino.

I hope by doing that I didn't lose all my bookmarks; I assume the previous download of Camino is still there.
And remember, I noticed that issue on three different web sites so far, so it's not some corrupt cookie of a single site.

Maybe I should go and find FF 3.6 somewhere and see what it does.
krs99

Post by krs99 »

Well, I downloaded FF 3.6 even though it's not officially supported on Snow Leopard.
But it worked and when I did the ebay search the link to add this search to my email notifications showed right up in the same place as with Chrome and Safari.

So....I wonder if it's one of the settings in Camino that is causing the problem.

Tried every setting in the web feature settings - I had all of them enabled except Java but that made no difference.
This whole thing is a bit of a mystery especially in that FF 3.6 renders fine and Camino doesn't.