Cannot open Google related websites

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

monkeyth

Cannot open Google related websites

Post by monkeyth »

Hello people,

I've been trying to find something in this forum and in the web but I cannot find anything, so here I am. Maybe somebody can point me in the right direccion.

I've been using Camino for a couple of months now and appart from the "old firefox version" message that I get on some sites as many of you report (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2550545), I didn't have big issues... until now. It's been three days that I cannot open Google or any related website, named Gmail, Youtube, Google Maps, etc. and that includes the search engine box. I had to use the old Firefox version that I had but I really don't like it, it's so slow!!

I want Camino back but I already erased and reinstalled the app and nothing. I also used Troubleshoot Camino (http://www.ardisson.org/smokey/moz/) with the same result, I write any word in the google box, enter, conectiong with google and then nothing, like if I haven't given enter in the first place. I've noticed that ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/Camino doesn't exits, I don't know what that means. Somehow I suspect that it's something related to this viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2548541 but I don't know what to do with that.

The rest of the websites work normally.

I use Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Camino 2.1.2 (1.9.2.28 20120308211433)

Can somebody help me please?
David Munch

Re: Cannot open Google related websites

Post by David Munch »

~/Library/ApplicationSupport/Camino absolutely exists, if you've ever launched Camino, which you have.

The Library is per default hidden as of OSX 10.7.

1. In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.
2. In the Go To Folder dialog, type ~/Library
3. Click Go.
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

ApplicationSupport does not exist, as it should have a space between the words. Maybe that was just a typo?

I suspect this issue you're having with google is related to JavaScript. If you can temporarily turn JavaScript off before visiting the affected sites and report back as to how it went.

Or, spotting the user agent of your post, are you spoofing the UA within Camino?
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
monkeyth

Post by monkeyth »

Thank you very much for your reply.

I was looking for the Camino profile folder in C rather than in Home directory, that's why I couldn't find it. I'm sorry for the silly mistake. So many years not using Windows and there are still reminiscences in my brain.

Java is disabled, and I keep on getting the same mistake. Also, I sent my previous message from Firefox, not from Camino, therefore the UA.

I enabled Console.log and I got the followig when trying to load google.com

13/11/12 07:53:30 p.m. Camino[602] *** Assertion failure in -[NSMenuItem setTitle:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-949.54/Menus.subproj/NSMenuItem.m:743
13/11/12 07:53:30 p.m. Camino[602] Invalid parameter not satisfying: aString != nil

Any other idea?
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

I do hope you meant JavaScript was disabled, rather than just Java. :shock:

Not sure what those console messages are about. Would have to wait for some who knows about that.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
monkeyth

Post by monkeyth »

Yes, I meant JavaScript, actually I played with different combinations of enabling-disabling and nothing. It seems that this is long term, too bad. I was so happy with Camino.

Anyway, I hope somebody can do something about it. In the meantime, I guess I have to start looking for a replacement. Thank you both for your reply.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Can you reproduce the same error while logged in under another user on your Mac ?
There are two possibilities:
1. your Camino install is messed up somehow. Try downloading Camino again and check if the problems still happens
2. you have some kind of problem with your OS, either at the user level (logging in as another user might help figuring that out) or deeper inside the OS (in which case I'm afraid a full clean reinstall is called for - don't forget to back up your data).
monkeyth

Post by monkeyth »

I reinstalled Camino and I'm afraid I had was the same error, I haven't tried with another user but I started having some trouble with different software so I think I'll reinstall Leopard.

The funny thing is that Camino was the first one that failed.

Thank you very much for your answers.