Camino 3 using WebKit instead of Gecko

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

krs99

Camino 3 using WebKit instead of Gecko

Post by krs99 »

I came across this in the Camino Wiki
WebKit:Timeline describes a timeline toward shipping Camino 3 using WebKit instead of Gecko.

Is anything actually happening in that area?
If so, any rough timeframes?
phiw13

Re: Camino 3 using WebKit instead of Gecko

Post by phiw13 »

There is currently not much if any work being done at the moment :(

See the end of this thread.
krs99

Post by krs99 »

Thanks,

I haven't read every post in that thread - just enough to get a feel for things.

Seems to me the obvious option is to move forward using webkit, that seems to be the most future-proof and also the least problematic with embedding.
To get things off the ground with that approach, we need at least $80,000 to hire someone full-time for a year to get things moving - at least that's what I read.

There is a "donate" option on the Camino main website, but I don't think that brings in much the way it is structured. There is no incentive to donate anything - no explanation what will be done with the donation, no specific target, it's sort of set up like a tip jar at Tim Horton's (in Canada); you throw in some loose change if you have it and if you don't, you throw in nothing.

I was having trouble finding a good application to download YouTube videos so that I can watch them later.
Tried dozends of applications, but none of them worked withevery video I threw at it - it was a hit and miss exercise.
Then I came across an application called ClipGrab - I have only used it for a few weeks and downloaded maybe 6 or 7 Youtube videos, but it worked perfectly each time.
The reason I bring that up is because the developer(s) there are also looking for some funding.
But opposed to what Camino has with their generic "Donate" link, the ClipGrab crew spelles out how much money they are looking for, exactly what it is for and most important, how much of their target they have reached. A few days ago they were at 71% of their target, just now they are at 80%
I realize that they are only looking for 1500 Euros for Option 1 and another 1500 Euros for option 2 compared to the $US 80000 for Camino, but there have to be a lot more people interested in keeping Camino alive that ClipGrab.
I don't know how much is in the Camino "Donate" kitty, but maybe that should be used as the initial percentage shown - not great to start off with zero.

I personally would be much more willing to contribute if I know what the money will be used for than just "donate".
My feeling is a "campaign" like that would be successful if Camino takes the ClipGrab approach.

PS: the only thing I could personally contribute (besides $$$) is to be either a beta tester (I visit a wide range of web sites every day) and/or do some translation into German.
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

It would be a problem to setup a timeframe for how much time it would take to implement Webkit. Also, taking out a month or 2, or how long it would take to implement, is not something that is a realistic, since all the developers probably have full time jobs.

Put yes, it is a pity. IF Camino suddenly got webkit, then people would jump ship to add features. But unfortunately, currently it is dead in the water.