Drop-down menus suddenly stopped working

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Jonelle

Drop-down menus suddenly stopped working

Post by Jonelle »

I've been a Camino user since .. forever (e.g. before Firefox ever appeared). For some things recently I've had to move to Safari, but I still prefer Camino's user interface and power.

However I may have to drop Camino, if this can't be fixed: this afternoon drop-down menus on web pages suddenly stopped working. (I mean: you click a bar, which expands to reveal several options.) The bar highlights, but offers no options. If I switch to Safari, such pages work as normal.

I was using 2.1.2, but "just in case" I've installed the latest Nightly download (v2.1.3pre): no joy -- the drop-downs don't work.

I've noticed no other anomalies on my Mac (running 10.6.8 btw). The only odd thing that happened today was that I used "Trip Advisor", which unbeknown to me opened a page (from Holiday Inn IIRC) behind the main pages, which was demanding a response; I only discovered this when re-starting in an attempt to cure this condition.

Cheers
Jonelle
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Drop-down menus suddenly stopped working

Post by cflawson »

Without knowing any specific site where this is happening, it's pretty much impossible to say what might be going on. There are a multitude of different ways Web designers could be creating those menus, many of which are fully compatible with older Gecko versions, and many of which are likely not. Letting the site know they have a problem is your best bet, because nothing we can do in Camino (short of moving to a different rendering engine, and see other threads here about our lack of manpower to do so for more on that) is going to fix it.

cl
Jonelle

Post by Jonelle »

Thanks CL, but that doesn't address the issues of why this should suddenly start to happen, or why Safari works properly?

The two sites that showed the problem are my bank's login page (which uses drop-downs to enter elements of the security word), and one that you DO know: Googlemaps: if you ask Googlemaps to elaborate on the Est. Fuel Cost of a journey between two points, it presents a pop-up, which offers drop-downs to enable selection of vehicle type, and type of fuel. These do not work in Camino -- although before today they did!

So has something maybe been overwritten in my Mac's system library, which pertains to Camino? No way could both those providers have made the same change on the same day ... but in any case, Safari works fine (except that it's not Camino!).

JL
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

It's more likely that both those sites just happened to change something today, or their previous code that worked finally expired from the cache. I can assure you nothing in Camino changed.

cl