Blink?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

thebobcampbell

Blink?

Post by thebobcampbell »

Any chance for Camino to jump on the Blink bandwagon? I imagine it would be the same or similar effort as jumping to WebKit, though. Just wondering if there's any discussion on the developer's list..
BruceAWittmeier

Re: Blink?

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Not desirable but do you have an example of what you are trying?

http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Elements/blink
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
thebobcampbell

Post by thebobcampbell »

Sorry, not the infamous blink tag, the Blink project just announced by Google that's a fork of the WebKit rendering engine.
James

Post by James »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:Not desirable but do you have an example of what you are trying?

If you read the the post you would see it was not that kind of blink but this kind of <blink>
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

thebobcampbell wrote:Any chance for Camino to jump on the Blink bandwagon? I imagine it would be the same or similar effort as jumping to WebKit, though. Just wondering if there's any discussion on the developer's list..

Same amount of effort unfortunately.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:Not desirable but do you have an example of what you are trying?

This is exactly why you should never have a naming conference in a bar....
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
lucasbytegenius

Post by lucasbytegenius »

Would be cool seeing Camino on Blink but I think there would still be some performance issues on PPC Macs.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

lucasbytegenius wrote:Would be cool seeing Camino on Blink but I think there would still be some performance issues on PPC Macs.

I don't think current Webkit (or Blink, who choose that name, seriously…) support PPC anymore. Iirc, minimum requirement is 10.6 nowadays. I suspect that an eventual future Camino would have to use system Webkit to support older OS (the same way as iCab).

As for the Blink route, colour me suspicious of Google. For Camino the route would be to use the ChromiumEmbeding frameworks (I think that is also the route Opera/Yandex are going through). What is the guarantee that Blink/Google will keep supporting that, if it doesn't fit in their corporate strategy anymore?

(and as David notes above, using Blink is the same amount of work, and as has been mentioned before, nobody is currently working on a future Camino, unfortunately – unless a very secret lab somewhere in AlphaCentaur is hidden)