Camino Nighty Still Going?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

James

Re: Camino Nighty Still Going?

Post by James »

upkeep wrote:
LoudNoise wrote:It likely has a good deal of known vulnerabilities by now.

Most likely. It seems that if a browser isn't updated 'near-hourly' the nasties are going to try to get through. Pity, isn't it? :wink:

It likely has not had any real security patches since the equivalent of Firefox 3.6.28 release back in March 2012 as the builds were automated ever since until the servers were finally shut down.

upkeep wrote:
haleakalari wrote:i think you may have it done already! just replaced the like section with this:

Code: Select all

(like Firefox/9.0.1)

I thought that may have been it. Thanx.

It is more like Firefox 3.6.28 actually.
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

James wrote:It is more like Firefox 3.6.28 actually.

Umm James, I know you mean well but I think they know that already. They are just changing it to get around some of the poor browser sniffing out on the web.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Regardless of when the last security patches have been applied it certainly hasn't had any since the project ended. Things are only going to get worse.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
upkeep

Post by upkeep »

Yeah . . . I think we pretty much know that as well. Thanx all the same. :wink:
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

I'm pretty sure that someone deliberately choosing to use a browser that's effectively four years old is also smart enough not to expose himself to vulnerabilities that might affect said browser.

cl
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I'm not. I have been at this since Netscape and the last time I got closelined was from an ad on a perfectly safe and somewhat dull site. The techy conceit of "I am smarter then them and don't do things like download unknown things or visit shady sites" is pretty well gone. If you use software that has been abandoned by its developers you are simply going to be owned sooner or later.

Have the build machines been shut down?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

cflawson wrote:I'm pretty sure that someone deliberately choosing to use…

Particularly if that person is using (by necessary ’choice’ I think) and old OS (OS X 10.4 Tiger) for which no up-to-date browser is available.

Have the build machines been shut down?

viewtopic.php?p=12902933#p12902933
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

phiw13 wrote:
cflawson wrote:I'm pretty sure that someone deliberately choosing to use…

Particularly if that person is using (by necessary ’choice’ I think) and old OS (OS X 10.4 Tiger) for which no up-to-date browser is available.

You might want to check out our Third Party Builds forum. hikerbiker seems to being doing a good job of worrying over it. You cannot expect main stream software to support an old OS once the new operating system breaks the old one. Mozilla actually does a good job of supporting old OS's until things have changed enough that it is no longer possible.
Post wrangler
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

LoudNoise wrote:Mozilla actually does a good job of supporting old OS's until things have changed enough that it is no longer possible.

That's only true for Micro$oft labeled OSes. Tiger isn't really that old and in the most part is hardly different to Snow Leopard (sure some system calls have been depreciated but most are still backwards compatible). Dropping support for Tiger and Leopard (PPC) was purely a choice by Mozilla and to say otherwise is foolhardy.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9