Black youtube screen

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

TolikLavonovitch

Black youtube screen

Post by TolikLavonovitch »

It was working fine yesterday , now when I go to youtube , I have audio but the screen is black . Updated everything .
jwthomas

Re: Black youtube screen

Post by jwthomas »

Just a guess: If you have the ad blocking feature on Camino checked try unchecking it and see what happens.
-John Thomas
TolikLavonovitch

Post by TolikLavonovitch »

Nope that didnt do it , if I click on the black screen Camino crashes .
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

What version of Flash have you got installed?
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
jwthomas

Post by jwthomas »

RPMozley wrote:What version of Flash have you got installed?

Yes, I see that Adobe Flash was updated around 8/20-21.
-John Thomas
MBL369

Post by MBL369 »

Hi everyone with Youtube Black Screen.

I to have been having this issue since late last month with Camino, Firefox, and the Opera web browsers on the Mac Pro running OSX 10.7.5... It has been frustrating to say the least.. and btw: Google Chrome browser does NOT display a black screen.

Today, Sunday Sept. 29th I looked again at this Camino User Forum and saw the 'Black Screen' issue had a fair amount of people baffled, including myself..

My Youtube was always fine as I remember, 'til about a month ago.. Questions raised "What version of Flash do you have?" abound..

Mine was recently updated, several times again & again to no avail. ( Flash Player.plugin version 11.8.800.168 ). It does NOT work, and in my opinion for the black screen bug, is incompatible with the above browsers.. This newest Flash plugin causes the black screen.

Luckily I have another hard drive with a complete & working operating system on it that had an EARLIER version of these components to test my theory..In testing, I went into System Library > Internet Plugins > Flash Player.plugin & the flashplayer.xpt seem to be the culprits.

I replaced the latest Flash 11.8.800.168 with earlier Flash Player.plugin 11.7.700.169 and voila! All browsers now play Youtube without a hitch. The flash videos on weather.com now work as well.

My workaround was to replace the latest flash with the earlier version and that resolved the issue. This worked on my Mac.. the way I described the process... Your mileage may vary... If you are at all uncomfortable messing around in the system library.. for heaven's sake stay outta there..

I guess we shall have to wait and see when the next flash update comes along if the Youtubes work again. For now I shall stay with the earlier version 11.7.700.168 as I expect things to just work for me.

Cheers & good luck, MBL
MBL369

Post by MBL369 »

Hi again fellow black screen sufferers,

Since my last post I have found that my Safari browser [ Version 6.0.5 (7536.30.1) ] will reject my workaround and blocks the Flash Player plugin.

I also found on the Adobe Flash site they DO post a download archive of earlier versions for a lot of differing operating systems..

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ ... sions.html I am sure one can find what they seek here as there are seemingly zillions of differing versions available.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers, Good Luck, MBL
fyreflye

Post by fyreflye »

You should understand that downgrading your flash version increases your vulnerability to various bots, bugs and worms that you're already chancing by continuing to use Camino. If you want a modest browser similar to Camino I'd recommend OmniWeb. Though it's no longer under development its owners continue to use it for work on their other products and you should find working YouTube screens there.