Update to newest Mozilla

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

chevy

Update to newest Mozilla

Post by chevy »

The newest Mozilla is now faster than Chimera. It there a way to have the nice interface of Chimera, with the speed of Mozilla (probably even faster).
Clungel

Post by Clungel »

misterjingles

Post by misterjingles »

Mozilla faster than Chimera.....? My mozilla must be broken :(
unruly

Post by unruly »

um, the new mozilla is overall faster than before, but still holds no candle to the Chimera, even a nightly build.
de_schok

Mozilla faster? Yes and no

Post by de_schok »

Today I extensively tested the new Mozilla release 1.3.a and I indeed came to the conclusion that Mozilla renders complex web pages as fast or even faster than Chimera (latest nightly, Saturday 14.12). This testing occured on G4/500/osx. But Mozilla on the Mac still has a super slow start up. This will probably be like that forever because Mozilla is designed to be a cross-platform browser and offers 400% more features than Chimera.
But who needs them anyway on a Mac running OSX and using Mail.app....

Mozilla is a heavy-weight. But once it runs nobody can stop it. It most probably has the most advanced and the fastest render engine out there.

see you

de_schok
misterjingles

Post by misterjingles »

I use mozilla on occasion. Usually for the DOM inspector, and yes it does render fast. But that is not the reason I use Chimera on a regular basis. It is more about the native UI for me. And Chimera is specifically targeted at browsing, it doesn't have all the bloat of mozilla. Much like Phoenix for Windows and Linux.
Millennium

Post by Millennium »

I think what he's really asking for is a way to update Chimera to a recent version of Gecko, as opposed to the aging 1.0.1 branch which is currently used.