[SOC] Improvements to the Camino tabbed-browsing experience

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Hudsong

Post by Hudsong »

Wow man calm the f#&k down. Just making a suggestion here.
nufferkay

Post by nufferkay »

Uncle Asad wrote:You just have to go back to 0.8.x; it was 16 tabs in the window and then *each* new tab went into its *own* new window....

Yeah, that's what I meant. Heck, if overflowed tabs meant creating new windows, but additional overflowed tabs would keep going into the same new windows instead of creating new ones, that would rock!

But I won't even pretend to know whether that would be an easy or a difficult thing to implement - nor whether it's an intuitive interface choice (it is to me, but maybe not to anyone else).
delliott

Post by delliott »

Hudsong wrote:Wow man calm the f#&k down. Just making a suggestion here.

Well said Hudsong! It looks like cflawson has a bit of a temper. Let us not forget that this is the Internet and it's not as serious as we sometimes think it is :)

I'm just chiming in here to make sure that people remember that the deadline for discussion in this thread is midnight! Get your creative brainstorming hats on people. We are going to be discussing these proposals soon and by Sunday evening I plan to have a really nice set of high-level descriptions relating to what we decide to do.
evenprimes

Adding ColorTab like features to Camino

Post by evenprimes »

Check out the ColorTabs extension for FireFox. Th actual colorizing of tabs is nice, but in the latest version the tab fade is really really nice.

I like to know exactly what tab on on especially since Camino puts close tab buttons on each tab, if you think you're on a tab and close it you may close the wrong tab. I do this far too often myself! It's not a huge deal, but giving a strong visual cue as to which tab is active would be nice.

Chris
gaomay

Post by gaomay »

delliott,

Congratulations on getting the SoC position. I attended Edinburgh also and have many happy memories of the place particularly Teviot Friday nights in my first year...

I liked the idea of having a drop-down tab preview but as you mentioned the implementation described here:

osono.design wrote:A preview of all opened tabs would be cool. Like in OmniWeb or Shiira... Here you get an idea: http://www.osono.ch/files/preview.gif (700 KB)

does seem a little clunky. However, what if the previews rolled down from individual tabs after the mouse pointer had hovered over them for more than a predetermined (and maybe also user-definable?) period of time? Each user could then set the delay period according to their wants, which would avoid the situation where people become annoyed by previews appearing when not needed/wanted.

Does anybody else like this idea or am I completely barmy?
nufferkay

Post by nufferkay »

gaomay - I'm just curious: if you're only going to get a preview of one tab at a time, why bother hovering over the tab for a couple seconds rather than just clicking the tab and viewing the page immediately, full size?
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: Adding ColorTab like features to Camino

Post by cflawson »

evenprimes wrote:I like to know exactly what tab on on especially since Camino puts close tab buttons on each tab, if you think you're on a tab and close it you may close the wrong tab. I do this far too often myself! It's not a huge deal, but giving a strong visual cue as to which tab is active would be nice.

Aaron Schulman's patch for proper rollover highlighting of the close tab widget just landed a couple weeks ago on branch and trunk, and will be in 1.1. That helps some. You might find it useful to use one of the many alternative tab themes on pimpmycamino, too. Several of those are more contrasty and make it easier to determine which is the active tab.

cl
gaomay

Post by gaomay »

nufferkay wrote:gaomay - I'm just curious: if you're only going to get a preview of one tab at a time, why bother hovering over the tab for a couple seconds rather than just clicking the tab and viewing the page immediately, full size?

Yes, I see your point! Maybe it could be activated for all tabs simultaneously? Would look a little better than the other implementation.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

gaomay wrote:
nufferkay wrote:gaomay - I'm just curious: if you're only going to get a preview of one tab at a time, why bother hovering over the tab for a couple seconds rather than just clicking the tab and viewing the page immediately, full size?

Yes, I see your point! Maybe it could be activated for all tabs simultaneously? Would look a little better than the other implementation.

Better option is (as already mention early on in the thread), mousing over the (background) tab pops up a preview image of the page, and the full title. There are some (? at least one) extensions for Fx that do this. Opera 9 beta has a similar tab-preview that works quite well, and fast.
nufferkay

Post by nufferkay »

Has anyone here used IE 7? Pretty much everything about that browser interface-wise is somehow worse than IE 6 -- except for their tab gallery feature, which is actually kind of nice.

Much like Camino's or Safari's bookmark manager, it takes over the entire document area. There's lots of room to scan the tabs, and it doesn't make the rest of the interface move around. I think it's a great way to do tab previews.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

nufferkay wrote:Much like Camino's or Safari's bookmark manager, it takes over the entire document area. There's lots of room to scan the tabs, and it doesn't make the rest of the interface move around. I think it's a great way to do tab previews.

That might be what pinkerton is calling Tab Exposé ;)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
delliott

Post by delliott »

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread. We hope to be able to report back by the weekend with the ideas that we will be carrying forward.
I was a Google Summer of Code Student working on Camino, I now work on Camino in my own time.
the Falcon

Post by the Falcon »

I know the deadline has already passed, but after reading Camino's SoC's wiki page, this idea suddenly struck me like lightning: Tab Magnification à la the Dock! :shock:
Of course, it would be different from the Dock in that Camino wouldn't merely blow up the image off the tab but rather would give whatever tab you're hovering over extra space to display its text. Of course, tooltips could do the same thing, but that's not quite the same, now is it?
So… Good, bad or ugly? Love it or hate it?
And: Could it be done? I would hazard to say "yes", since the Dock pulls it off so smoothly, but then again, I wouldn't know the first thing about programming Cocoa. :roll:
Even if this idea is not eligible for inclusion in the SoC project, I thought I'd at least share it with you folks over here.
The Unfeasible Adventures of Beaver & Steve
delliott

Post by delliott »

Uhm, so yeah, I have been working on things!

http://summerofcamino.blogspot.com/2006 ... ation.html

For your viewing pleasure.
I was a Google Summer of Code Student working on Camino, I now work on Camino in my own time.
val1984

Post by val1984 »

Will you implement tab closing with middle click?