[SOC] Improvements to the Camino tabbed-browsing experience

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

froodiantherapy wrote:
phiw13 wrote:On an unrelated note, if I increase the minimum width of a tab (changing it in BrowserTabBarView.mm) would that blow up the whole house of cards ? :-)

There's an open bug to make the value user-changeable (either through some sort of clever UI or by about:config), so testing it would be useful. IE I don't think it'll make anything blow up, and if it does, that's something we ought to know. ;)

Well, I've build Camino with <code>kMinTabWidth</code> set to 150,0 (instead of 100). So far I haven't experienced any problems, my cat still insist at playing with my my mouse.
Tabs scroll nicely. I think I saw some small rendering glitch (using custom images for the active tab, not sure, I have to investigate more closely (anyway, probably bug 356119).
SickSadWorld

Post by SickSadWorld »

delliott wrote:Thanks for all of the discussion so far, it is very useful.

What do people think about scrolling tabs by width-of-window as a default?

If not made a default, I'd like to see it made a user option without requiring the use of a modifier.

Where the window scrollbar analogy fails is that the tab scrollbar lacks an apparent mechanism (the aqua scroll bar itself) that permits easy and rapid navigation to a particular point in the range of content, as well as providing an indicator of the amount of content, and the location of current focus within that content.

In both cases, the arrows are adequate for small jumps or for precise movements, but are inefficient for large or quick jumps. (Yet I've seen users rely solely on arrow buttons to navigate within long documents -- typically novices) Increasing the scroll rate to alleviate that would only hamper their accuracy.

On a side note, with regard to the arrow buttons themselves, dual arrows at both ends would be my preference, even at the cost of some tab space.

Making the tab bar scroll-wheel aware as others have suggested would be a nice alternative, but not everyone has a scrolling mouse.

Having a method to rapidly navigate the range of content is something heavy users of multiple tabs would appreciate.

Not having such an alternative method, whether a popup menu, window-width increment, scroll-wheel awareness, or even a mini scroll bar, would only penalise proficient users to keep things simple for novices.

I suspect that tabbed-browsing is not something that most novices make much use of anyway, so a situation where the overflow UI comes into play is infrequent enough to justify catering so much to their needs.
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

Dont know if this has been mentioned, but I would like to be able to hold down a modifer-key (Command for instance) and then double-click a tab to make a dublicate of it.. :)
natebeaty

Post by natebeaty »

David Munch wrote:Dont know if this has been mentioned, but I would like to be able to hold down a modifer-key (Command for instance) and then double-click a tab to make a dublicate of it.. :)

cmd-l, cmd-enter works great for this.
GrumpyLump

Post by GrumpyLump »

... And how about simply implementing a "click on bookmark opens a new tab" policy? I've posted a topic in that regard: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=585019

It would be cool, and would also make up for the lack of real customization Camino experiences. I currently use Opera and Firefox more often, because of the way they open bookmarks in new tabs without resorting to punching the Cmd key...
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

SoC 2006 has been over for quite some time; this thread is no longer relevant.