[SOC] Improvements to the Camino tabbed-browsing experience

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I see two parts where Camino need some improvements/new features:
* Tab reordering. Reorder the current tabs by drag and drop.
* Tab overflow. The current overflow implementation dont support the normal context menu through ctrl-click, or 'click to close' (there are no X button). Which "regular" tabs support.
buddhahead

Post by buddhahead »

there are a lot of things i like about the tab options in the firefox tab mix plus extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1122/), for example, changing the font of unviewed tabs, displaying progress bars on the tabs, the handling of overflow tabs, setting tab min/max width, being able to change the location of the close button (on individual tabs v. single 'x' on the right side of the tab bar), and all of the options to open/close individual tabs.

i don't remember if tab mix plus has this option, but some ffx extension i was using a while back let you choose whether you wanted new tabs opened from links to open adjacent to the existing tab (so all tabs from same site are grouped) or at the end of the tabs (so tabs are in chronological order of clicking). thought it was a really convenient option!

i'll also add another vote for being able to somehow adjust the text that's displayed on the tabs because there will be many times when i have to cycle through 10 tabs on different pages of the same forum before finding the tab i want.

i think soc is a great program and wish you the best of luck. guess this means i have to switch back to camino from ffx for the summer ;) just wish krmathis was still building his optimized nightlies for the community!
BDog

Post by BDog »

An option to overflow the tabs in the same way the BM bar does (with new lines) would be nice.
Tooltips with page title and URL.
Tab expose.
John Bailey (BDog)
MacBook | 2GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM | Mac OS X.4.10
Camino 1.5 | Intel Optimized By wrc_fan
brutal

Post by brutal »

I'd like to see a tab sidebar like in Omniweb or the Tab Sidebar extension for Firefox.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

BDog wrote:An option to overflow the tabs in the same way the BM bar does (with new lines) would be nice.

And tabs would retain their connection to the content area how?

cl
BDog

Post by BDog »

cflawson wrote:
BDog wrote:An option to overflow the tabs in the same way the BM bar does (with new lines) would be nice.

And tabs would retain their connection to the content area how?

cl
Doh! I thought there was something I missed...
DrawingBusiness

Post by DrawingBusiness »

I'd like to be able to hover over the border between any tab while holding the option key, and drag-resize all the tabs so that I can squeeze more in, or read long page titles.
I'm not tense. I'm just terribly, terribly alert.
-------------------------------------------------
Richard Smith: Drawing Business
Illustration, Design, Animation
SickSadWorld

Post by SickSadWorld »

How about a tab bar that handles overflow in a manner similar to the way a Finder window does?

The display capacity of Finder windows are determined by their size and the manner in which the contents are viewed.

When that capacity is exceeded for the given size of the window, the scroll bars appear and are then used to manoeuvre to the items which are hidden beyond the field of view.

I imagine a kind of thin horizontal glide bar, which could scroll between the the tabs that appear within the window, and those "outside" of it.

If that's too complicated, maybe a set of arrows which could toggle between "sets" of tabs, while keeping the tab for the current content area anchored to one side.

The current method with the popup menu is ok, but I try to avoid overflow situations when I can.
edduddiee

Post by edduddiee »

One small thing that I think many people would like is if you remove the close tab button and make it a hover where the favicon is. Just like it is done in adium. This would free up lots of space and allow more tabs to be visible.

Just an idea.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

edduddiee wrote:One small thing that I think many people would like is if you remove the close tab button and make it a hover where the favicon is. Just like it is done in adium. This would free up lots of space and allow more tabs to be visible.

That's a really bad idea, for several reasons, most of which were discussed in the WONTFIXed bug on it. (I'd post a bug number, but I can't find it right now. I know it's been discussed and shot down at least twice, though.)

cl
nufferkay

Post by nufferkay »

DrawingBusiness wrote:I'd like to be able to hover over the border between any tab while holding the option key, and drag-resize all the tabs so that I can squeeze more in, or read long page titles.

Ooh, I love that idea, especially as a solution to the tab title problem!
jedik

Post by jedik »

nufferkay wrote:
DrawingBusiness wrote:I'd like to be able to hover over the border between any tab while holding the option key, and drag-resize all the tabs so that I can squeeze more in, or read long page titles.

Ooh, I love that idea, especially as a solution to the tab title problem!

Tooltips aren't better? I've read somewhere that it's fixed in the nightlies (or about to be fixed...).

Cheers