OMFG! All my Bookmarks are GONE! :o

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

bassmule

Post by bassmule »

I'm on an Intel Mac running Tiger 10.4.7. I have now lost my bookmarks for the second time, and enough is enough. I love Camino, but I just can't justify using it when this keeps happening. I even went to pimpmycamino and got a bookmark backup program, but apparently I used it incorrectly, because there was no backup file to be found when the time came.

This is a serious flaw in an otherwise wonderful browser.
fishhead

Post by fishhead »

I just got hit with this on an Intel mac running 10.4.7. No NAV. Luckily I keep regular backups of my homedir, so I didn't lose anything. Anyone reading this should keep in mind that no Hard Drive is immortal, so if you are not backing up files you care about, you are are begging the fates. I have lost three PowerBook/iBook HDs over the years.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Heh. Only three? My last PowerBook ate four HDs in a six-month span. :-p

(Yes, I kept fairly regular backups, so I didn't lose much. Even with backups, I lost a little, though.)

cl
cine

Post by cine »

I also lost all my bookmarks yesterday (fairly new to Camino).

I have a bookmark-corrupted-1.plist file.

Is there anything I can do with that to restore the bookmarks?
froodiantherapy
Camino Developer

Post by froodiantherapy »

If it's not empty, yes. But chances are, it's empty.

/me wishes we knew why the hell this was happening
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
10.4.x iBook G4 1.33 GHz
<a href="http://www.jonagold.org/~froodian/MoreCamino/">MoreCamino - More preferences for Camino</a>
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

cine: not that this will absolutely prove anything, but...

1) Are you on 10.4+?

2) Are you running Spotlight?
2a) Is it indexing your profile folder?

See also http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 38#2436438

cl
cine

Post by cine »

sorry about the time lag
- the corrupted bookmark plist isn't empty
(the code looks pretty strange though)
- I'm on 10.3.9 (no spotlight)
Is there anything I can do with corrupted file?
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

IIRC, this is the first case we've had of this on 10.3.9.

Do me a favour...

Go into Console and open console.log. In the search field in the Console toolbar, type "corrupt". That *should* find the line where the corrupted bookmarks plist was written aside. Copy and paste whatever you find here (unless it's really long, in which case please e-mail it to me instead).

Since it's not empty, try importing that plist file using the Import Bookmarks... menu item.

cl
froodiantherapy
Camino Developer

Post by froodiantherapy »

this is different though, since it's not empty. right? In every other (10.4) case the corrupted plist has always been empty.
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
10.4.x iBook G4 1.33 GHz
<a href="http://www.jonagold.org/~froodian/MoreCamino/">MoreCamino - More preferences for Camino</a>
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

If there's no "corrupt" line in your console (what cflawson suggested you look for), also look at the time stamp on the bookmarks-corrupted plist and then look in the console for messages from about that time. Again, copy/paste here unless it's really long.

If the import attempt fails, or doesn't re-import all of your bookmarks, it's probably possible to manually re-create a valid plist, but it'll be some work.

(I'd also recommend doing any re-import or reconstruction attempts with a copy of the file, not the original bookmarks-corrupted-1.plist)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
cine

Post by cine »

When I type "corrput" into the console search and find fields nothing appears (blank).
The bits below are the only things I could find that seemed to be relevant (but I'm new to this).
Is the plist idea: make a copy, put it on the desktop and then try importing it into Camino?
(what happens to the corrupt part?)
There is no time stamp on the bookmarks-corrupt plist. It starts - ?ÿ?‡

Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
2006-08-21 23:01:28 -0700
2006-08-21 23:01:45.101 Camino[359] CFLog (0):
CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
/Users/kdhoch/Library/Application Support/Camino/bookmarks.plist
The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
2006-08-21 23:01:45.865 Camino[359] Copied corrupted bookmarks file to /kdhoch/Library/Application Support/Camino/bookmarks-corrupted-1.plist

Aug 21 18:43:53 localhost /Volumes/Camino/Camino.app/Contents/MacOS/Camino: *** Warning: ATSUSetFontFallbacks has been deprecated. Use ATSUFontFallbacks objects instead. ***

7BAE7C9F-2A43-36A8-953D-EDDF469D1C13 Camino [not mounted]
Aug 21 23:01:35 localhost diskarbitrationd[88]: disk1s2 hfs 7BAE7C9F-2A43-36A8-953D-EDDF469D1C13 Camino /Volumes/Camino
Aug 21 23:03:20 localhost /Volumes/Camino/Camino.app/Contents/MacOS/Camino: objc: Both /Volumes/Camino/Camino.app/Contents/PreferencePanes/Appearance.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Appearance and /Volumes/Camino/Camino.app/Contents/PreferencePanes/Downloads.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Downloads have implementations of class PreferencePaneBase.
Aug 21 23:03:20 localhost /Volumes/Camino/Camino.app/Contents/MacOS/Camino: objc: Using implementation from /Volumes/Camino/Camino.app/Contents/PreferencePanes/Downloads.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Downloads.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

cine wrote:When I type "corrput" into the console search and find fields nothing appears (blank).
The bits below are the only things I could find that seemed to be relevant (but I'm new to this).

Code: Select all

Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
2006-08-21 23:01:28 -0700
2006-08-21 23:01:45.101 Camino[359] CFLog (0):
   CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
   /Users/kdhoch/Library/Application Support/Camino/bookmarks.plist
   The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
2006-08-21 23:01:45.865 Camino[359] Copied corrupted bookmarks file to /kdhoch/Library/Application Support/Camino/bookmarks-corrupted-1.plist

Yes, that's the relevant bit in question. Is there anything before that? (You may have to click the "Reload" button and drag the slider to a slightly larger size if that snippet is at the beginning of the log; if there's no more log to show, then the "Reload" button will do nothing.)

cine wrote:Is the plist idea: make a copy, put it on the desktop and then try importing it into Camino?
(what happens to the corrupt part?)

Yes, put a copy of the bookmarks-corrupted plist somewhere, then launch Camino and choose "Import Bookmarks…" from the File menu, then choose "Select a File…" from the drop-down menu, select the copy, and let Camino try to import the corrupted file. According to cflawson, it should be able to re-import some of your bookmarks, depending on where the corruption happened in the file.

If there's nothing personal in your bookmarks, it would be useful to have a copy of that file to see how/where the corruption happened....
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
cine

Post by cine »

There is nothing on the console prior to that entry, that entry is gone too (everything pre 8-21)
When I imported the the corrupted file it showed 0 contents:
Below is what it looks like. What does it mean? Can any of this be salvaged? Do I need
to convert this into something readable?
(I just looked at the preview and won't print the bizarre code
you probably know what it is)

?ÿ?‡
?ÿ?‡
cine

Post by cine »

The code seems to have to many unusal letters and symbols for
this post forum.

%&'()*456789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyzÉÑÖÜáàâäíìîïñóòôö¢£§
cine

Post by cine »

Is there anything I can with the corrupt file or