OMFG! All my Bookmarks are GONE! :o

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

J600Rracer

Post by J600Rracer »

A question. Will spotlight by default, index the file in question, or is it something I have to turn on?

I want to know so if it is on, I can turn it off.
Who Dares, Wins
J600Rracer

Post by J600Rracer »

Actually, I just did a spotlight search for some of my bookmarks and it found them, so does that mean I have the potential for a corrupted bookmarks file now?

Good thing I have a backup.
Last edited by J600Rracer on August 25th, 2006, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Dares, Wins
J600Rracer

Post by J600Rracer »

Also, I rarely use spotlight now that I found quicksilver.
Who Dares, Wins
froodiantherapy
Camino Developer

Post by froodiantherapy »

We don't know for sure this has anything to do with Spotlight.

But, System Preferences->Spotlight->Privacy->The plus button
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
10.4.x iBook G4 1.33 GHz
<a href="http://www.jonagold.org/~froodian/MoreCamino/">MoreCamino - More preferences for Camino</a>
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Spotlight's indexing of the bookmarks and its indexing of the bookmarks.plist file are actually two separate processes. You should be able to safely prevent Spotlight from indexing your Camino profile without affecting its ability to index your bookmarks. (No, I don't understand how this works either.)

cl
bassmule

Post by bassmule »

eccoana wrote:CamiTools help you to easily backup your profile folder (including the bookmarks) and/or to copy your bookmarks onto a ftp server. So you'll always have a backup somewhere...

I installed Camino Backup & Restore, and here's the message I got when I tried to back up:

Can't set <<class>> “Camino Backup, September 15 2006” of <<class>> (alias “Macintosh HD:Users:myname:Desktop:”) of application “Finder” to file “bookmarks.xml” of <<class>> (alias “Macintosh HD:Users:myname:Library:Application Support

I'm sorely deficient in the necessary geekitude to understand this error message. Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

PS: I had given up on Camino because of this losing bookmarks business, but decided to give it another go with the new stable release. But I have got to have at minimum a hassle-free way to backup my bookmarks, otherwise it's back to Brand X.

Thanks.
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

You're right, it no longer works on 1.0.3. Looks like it needs to be updated.
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Well, there's always the tried-and-true "select bookmarks.plist and hit Command-D" method...

cl
bassmule

Post by bassmule »

cflawson wrote:Well, there's always the tried-and-true "select bookmarks.plist and hit Command-D" method...

cl

Thank you! That seems to work nicely. (I'm not particularly computer-literate, but I can follow instructions) 8-)
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Happy to help. :)

Keep in mind that you'll need to do that on a fairly regular basis if you're in the habit of bookmarking things often. I don't bookmark stuff much, so I tend not to do backups but once a week or so (although I tend to forget and sometimes go as long as a month).

cl
ishermandom

Post by ishermandom »

Out of curiousity, are there plans to have bookmarks be automatically backed up with Time Machine in Leopard?
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

We'll look into that when one of the devs who has Leopard gets enough time to look into it ;)

Not sure when that might happen, and we definitely don't want to force anything into the browser that would break compatibility with pre-10.5 OS versions for at least a couple more years.

cl
froodiantherapy
Camino Developer

Post by froodiantherapy »

The bookmarks file will be automatically backed up with Time Machine, as will all files. I doubt Camino would work in its own "Time Machine support", since it would clash with history, and would be very strange for people.
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
10.4.x iBook G4 1.33 GHz
<a href="http://www.jonagold.org/~froodian/MoreCamino/">MoreCamino - More preferences for Camino</a>
ishermandom

Post by ishermandom »

Ah, thanks for the responses :)

A backed up browser history, now that would be confusing.
JB

Post by JB »

bassmule wrote:
cflawson wrote:Well, there's always the tried-and-true "select bookmarks.plist and hit Command-D" method...

cl

I've been exporting bookmarks to the desktop and e-mailing the file to my net based mail client (Yahoo) to save there in a draft folder.
It takes a little longer than your method, but covers, in case of emergency.
Camino Lives!
Yes Indeed!