Camino Users: Who Are You?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Purple

Post by Purple »

David
A 46 year old fellow of the royal geographical society, with an MSc who earns a crust as a wildlife artist, rural development advisor and erstwhile scientific illustrator.
First computers I used were macs, because the graphics guys did and the scientific guys did - horrified when latterly I had to struggle with a windows machine in the 'office' environment - no struggles now.
Just waiting for full integration of RSS in Camino.
Mac Mini 1.42 Ghz G4 512 MB SDRAM OSX 10.4.9
jcraig

Post by jcraig »

Purple wrote:Just waiting for full integration of RSS in Camino.

Gonna be a long wait. ;-)
There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.
azra

Post by azra »

Name: Charles
Nationality: French
I live in London, UK, with a cat. I have a girlfriend and no kids.
I work for a bank as a legal advisor, having studied law in Paris and London and having an MSc from UCL in Public Policy.
I have a Macmini first generation which I bought when I got fed up with MS and the incessant maintenance it required.
Using Camino and my girlfriend uses Safari - mostly because I disable the cookies features on Camino and enable them on Safari and we both use the same login anyway on the computer.
musti

Post by musti »

Turkish/Canadian, 33, Montreal, IT & HR Consultant (don't ask, lol).
Used PCs for nearly a decade. Then on a bright day seven years ago, got my first Mac.
Currently providing services for a gorgeous black cat who owns me.
Coffee, cigarettes, reading, research and friends rock my world. So does my sister.
Whatever I use, I come back to Camino. So, thank you. You know who you are :)
xslf

Re: Camino Users: Who Are You?

Post by xslf »

davedit wrote:So I made this thread for fun because I'm curious what kind of people use Camino (and this forum). Who are you? Where are you from? What do you do?

I'm Shoshannah (yeah, a female :-) ), 28 from Israel. I work as i18n QA at a large software company.
I use Windows Mac and Linux on a regular basis. For a while I was active with testing Hebrew support in Mozilla, but I scaled back some time ago. I have also been active with OpenOffice (and a little less with NeoOffice).
I have been playing with Camino on and off since the early days (Chimera anyone?) and switched to it as my default browser around the time of Camino 1.0 (although I tend to use G4 7400 optimized nightly builds. Thanks wrc_fan for your builds!)

That's abut it :-)
Purple

Post by Purple »

jcraig wrote:
Purple wrote:Just waiting for full integration of RSS in Camino.

Gonna be a long wait. ;-)

hmm... Minefield is on it's way :)
Mac Mini 1.42 Ghz G4 512 MB SDRAM OSX 10.4.9
Kurtbw

Post by Kurtbw »

Okay...

Name: Kurt

Currently a part-time member of the mainstream media as video camera guy to ensure my mortgage payment, free-lance for "toy" budget.

First computer experience (outside of punching paper tape with my dad's Teletype machines) was at school with a Polymorphic System 80 S-100 bus computer. Had a semester of Fortran IV programming in college -- with punch cards, no less -- which convinced me I wasn't much of a programmer. I've used pretty much every commercial OS out there, with the exception of Amiga. Never had the time to putz with Linux, or Windows ME. Have to use Win 2K and XP at the steady job. Everything else -- Mac OS X, which positively rocks.

As for Mozilla and Camino: I first started testing Mozilla builds back at Mac OS 9.0.4. I filed a couple bugs. Simon Fraser became annoyed with the lack of detail I was providing, and sent me a semi-polite email asking me to install MacsBug and post stacks. That seemed like something I could do without upsetting the family, so I did just that, and started posting better bug reports. I forget exactly when I made the switch to Chimera/Camino for nearly all my browsing, but I think it was sometime around 0.7. Can't remember. These days, I tend to keep a nightly build on my current Mac for a week for testing purposes.

The time I devote to bugtesting Camino ebbs and flows according to the freelance schedule. Sometimes I have more time to play, sometimes I don't.
xexagon

Post by xexagon »

Name: xexagon
Job: teacher

Used Camino when it was called Chimera; my first Mac's (an eMac) screen bombed out on several occasions. Switched back to Windows, where I use Firefox.

Using Camino on my second Mac (an iBook) because Firefox is pretty ugly on the Mac. Don't like Macs really, so will be switching back soon. Look out for the iBook on eBay!
buddhahead

Post by buddhahead »

keith
24m
l.a., california
environmental engineer
been on apples since my hand-me-down IIe (yay chopper, carmen sandiego, and karateka), then fat mac, quadra, and now g4 ibook.
go back and forth between minefield, deer park, and camino b/c of various bug issues, extension support, and b/c places still sucks.
bruno_04

Post by bruno_04 »

Name : Bruno
Job : Senior technician (Mac)

* Puting Camino everywhere on my Customer's computers :)
* I love climbing cliffs everywhere
* Trying to change country because too much taxes in France (it is indecent)
ANIMI LIMINA [The limit off soul] Telepopmusik on[√]• 1 MBP 2.5GHz Alu (Last 2008) 15"/4 Go/512 Vram/250 Go • 1 MBP 2.66 GHz (Unibody) 15"/4Go/512/320 Go •Mac OS X.6.1 \ Camino4Ever ®©™
encro

Post by encro »

I'll cut my effort in half and post it to my blog :)

http://encro.livejournal.com/1376.html
blauigel

Post by blauigel »

I really like the international quality of this community. I remember back in the very early days of the Mac platform (circa 1985 or 86) there was a BBS around Washington DC run by a British guy named Terry Monks. This board attracted the most amazing range of people from all over the place, every imaginable age and background. All we really had in common, at first glance, was this little Macintosh box and a modem. But somehow a genuine sense of community arose from this tenuous connection. It's like, we had all chosen to step outside the "consensus reality" of the computer scene in those days (which was all about MS-DOS), and this fact -- more than the details of our jobs and ages and nationalities -- turned out to reveal something important about the kind of people we were. Anyhow, it felt like that at the time.
carboncopy

Post by carboncopy »

name : anonymous
internet handle : carboncopy
Job : Research Assistant for a project titled 'Volumetric Display using LEDs'
Blog : http://salinankarbon.com (salinankarbon is carboncopy in Malay language)
cyber-dissenting @ http://salinankarbon.com
dashbrd - Dashboard start/stop control
fatdove52

Who am I ?

Post by fatdove52 »

I used to know this one, lemme think a minute.
L.N. from northern Colorado, US
53 years young, retired hippie, married 21 yrs.
Small biz owner; landscape contractor specializing in Xeriscape installations/remodels
Growing to like Camino browser even more.

Much health and happiness to you and yours.
Lost User 232755

Post by Lost User 232755 »

Hi - I'm Bob and I'm a youthful 73. Exercise when not 'puting with my iMac.
I started with IE and thought it was great until Safari, thought it was great until Firefox; thought it was great until Camino; think Camino is great until ??
Looked at others as curiosity pieces.
I write this to add a non geek comment. Ah well.
Here's to Happy Endings.
Bob