[ANN] Troubleshoot Camino 1.2.1.1

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

[ANN] Troubleshoot Camino 1.2.1.1

Post by Uncle Asad »

Hi all,

With the imminent release of Camino 1.1a1 (soon—we finally got access to the tinderboxen again!), I'm happy to announce a new QA/troubleshooting tool that takes advantage of the "custom profile location" feature of Camino 1.1 and above.

Basically, Troubleshoot Camino is a quick and simple way to launch Camino with fresh profile while leaving your existing profile alone and requiring no command-line knowledge ;)

Drag your Camino app to the Troubleshoot Camino icon, and Camino starts up with a temporary fresh profile. Test your bug, quit Camino, and next time you launch Camino, it's your regular profile back again.

Current release: Troubleshoot Camino 1.2.1.1

Disabling Third-Party Add-ons
Beginning in version 1.1, Troubleshoot Camino provides the ability for add-on authors to detect Camino is running in "Troubleshoot Camino mode" and to disable their add-ons for even cleaner "fresh profile" operation.

The following add-ons are known to honor this setting:
  • ChimericalConsole, from v0.7
  • AsceticBar, from v0.5
  • 1passwd, from 2.4(?)
  • GrowlCamino, from 1.1
  • UnifyCamino, from 1.0
  • CaminoSpace, from 0.4
  • CaminoZoom, from 0.2
  • ShapeShifter, from 2.5
Any other add-ons that exist wholly or in part outside the Camino profile folder (e.g., those with elements in (~)/Library/InputManagers) will still have to be disabled manually.

I'll update this list as I'm aware of more Troubleshoot Camino-compliant add-ons
Last edited by Uncle Asad on December 5th, 2007, 4:03 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
herbs

Post by herbs »

Howdy,

Ummm... the link is linked to... this message!? :-)

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

The link works fine: downloads a little app. Click and you will see :-)

@ Uncle Asad, that sounds pretty sweet.
I haven't had the opportunity to test yet.
Kurtbw

Post by Kurtbw »

Uncle Asad, your little app deletes the temporary profile on exit, right?

Wouldn't want to have Camino temporary profiles scattered all over a hard drive...
froodiantherapy
Camino Developer

Post by froodiantherapy »

As I understand it, it makes the profile in /tmp/SOMERANDOMNUMBER/, which since it's in /tmp/ gets cleaned up automatically by the operating system periodically.
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
10.4.x iBook G4 1.33 GHz
<a href="http://www.jonagold.org/~froodian/MoreCamino/">MoreCamino - More preferences for Camino</a>
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Yeah, the app launches Camino and goes away (so I can launch a trunk build and a branch build with fresh profiles at the same time ;)), but the profiles are stored in /tmp, so the OS takes care of them (weekly, I think, but I haven't done an detailed study; I don't have any older than Sunday, and I've been using the app regularly for more than a month...).
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
herbs

Post by herbs »

Howdy,

Now that I look in my download directory I see I downloaded the program twice! The download went so quickly I couldn't tell anything actually happened! (I have the prefs set to hide the download window when the download completes.) :-)

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
BDog

Post by BDog »

The system deletes the contents of /tmp on restart, (maybe a periodic script does it to?)
John Bailey (BDog)
MacBook | 2GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM | Mac OS X.4.10
Camino 1.5 | Intel Optimized By wrc_fan
froodiantherapy
Camino Developer

Post by froodiantherapy »

I'm sure it's in one of the periodic /etc housecleaning scripts, since the Unix part was designed to never be restarted.
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
10.4.x iBook G4 1.33 GHz
<a href="http://www.jonagold.org/~froodian/MoreCamino/">MoreCamino - More preferences for Camino</a>
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Since my uptime is 8 days going on 9, I'd bet on periodic weekly ;)
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Got my first bug report: it won't work on Camino apps whose path contains spaces because I was an idiot and forgot a bit of code. Expect 1.0.1 soon-ish ;)

Also, there may be issues where the path to Camino.app contains non-ASCII characters. AppleScript is picky about that, although I am led to believe that that bug was fixed in 10.4.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Uncle Asad wrote:Got my first bug report: it won't work on Camino apps whose path contains spaces because I was an idiot and forgot a bit of code. Expect 1.0.1 soon-ish ;)

I was going to complain, guess I'm to slow :(. Looking forward to an upgrade.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

phiw13 wrote:I was going to complain, guess I'm to slow :(.

;)

phiw13 wrote:Looking forward to an upgrade.

1.0.1 is now available with that fix (package filename is unchanged).
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

1.1 is now available (package filename is unchanged).

This version is all about third-party add-ons; I've implemented a mechanism authors can use to check and see if Camino is running in "troubleshooting fresh profile" mode and disable their add-ons if that's the case. This should help in cases of InputManager-type add-ons gone awry.

Of course it all depends on add-on authors adding this checking to their add-ons, but I hope that they'll all be willing to do this. It will make all of our lives (Camino QA, users, add-on authors) easier in the long run ;)

Edit: "devised" was the wrong word there ;)
jedik

Post by jedik »

Nice. Thanks. =)

Cheers