[ANN] Troubleshoot Camino 1.2.1.1

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Something I wanted to ask for some time: is there a way for it to bypass the ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.camino.plist file?
froodiantherapy
Camino Developer

Post by froodiantherapy »

Unfortunately, it's not currently possible (<a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341296">Bug 341296</a>). I mean, I suppose you could move the file to a temporary location and then put it back on quit (comment 8 in that bug), but that seems very error/breakage prone.
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
10.4.x iBook G4 1.33 GHz
<a href="http://www.jonagold.org/~froodian/MoreCamino/">MoreCamino - More preferences for Camino</a>
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Sure I can (I do that often, actually). I was just wondering if it was possible... (I don't think that .plist file causes any problems, anyway)
froodiantherapy
Camino Developer

Post by froodiantherapy »

I just meant that doing so programatically would be breakage prone. If you're doing it by hand, you're probably ok. ;) And yeah, in Camino's case, most of the things stored there are for the standard OS controls (like remembering Toolbar prefs).
"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
10.4.x iBook G4 1.33 GHz
<a href="http://www.jonagold.org/~froodian/MoreCamino/">MoreCamino - More preferences for Camino</a>
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

froodiantherapy wrote:I just meant that doing so programatically would be breakage prone. If you're doing it by hand, you're probably ok. ;) And yeah, in Camino's case, most of the things stored there are for the standard OS controls (like remembering Toolbar prefs).

I was debating that last night, and it's something I'll consider if we start to run across a lot of problems caused by bad window sizes or toolbar settings ;) The great thing about the way TC works, as I mentioned elsewhere yesterday, is that it doesn't actually touch your profile, so there's never any danger involved....

The other thing that is stored in that plist is the "tracking setting" for crash recovery....
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

BTW, I'm updating the first post in the thread with add-ons that disable themselves when running under TC as I learn of them :)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

I just got an email from the 1passwd folks, and they'll be supporting self-disabling when running under Troubleshoot Camino in their next version; thanks guys! (I'll add it to the list at the top of the thread when it's released.)

I've already emailed beniamino38 (at the same time I emailed 1passwd); are there other authors of InputManager-style Camino add-ons? If anyone brings them to my attention, I'll be glad to email the authors about this, too.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

The latest version of 1passwd is supposed* to disable itself when Camino is running under Troubleshoot Camino, as is the latest version of GrowlCamino.

If you're experiencing crashes or strange behavior and have third-party add-ons installed, please reproduce the behavior under Troubleshoot Camino before filing a bug.

* I say "supposed to" here only because the 1passwd folks told me "in the next version" and I really wasn't keeping track of versions and don't use it; I expect the version released this week is "the next version."
beniamino38

Post by beniamino38 »

UnifyCamino 1.0
GrowlCamino 1.1
CaminoSpace 0.4
CaminoZoom 0.2

The above all honour the environment variable.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Thanks beniamino38, both for the update and for honoring the variable :)

(When I checked this morning, you'd only released GrowlCamino ;) )
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Troubleshoot Camino 1.2 now available

Post by Uncle Asad »

1.2 is now available (package filename is unchanged).

This version is all about localization; there are now Dutch, French, German, and Portuguese (Brazilian) localizations in addition to the original English. Thanks to the translators (listed in the Readme) for their effort and testing!

Version 1.2 also makes sure that the copy of Camino it's about to launch will work with the fresh profile mechanism (and will also prevent you, er, me, from “launching Chess.app with a fresh profile” ;) )

Enjoy!
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

1.2.1 is now available (package filename is unchanged).

This version is all about making things work better on Mac OS X 10.5 (and fixing bugs on 10.3 and 10.4 that arose from the changes to fix things on 10.5 :p ).
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Re: [ANN] Troubleshoot Camino 1.2.1.1

Post by Uncle Asad »

1.2.1.1 is now available (package filename is unchanged).

This version is all about making things work better on Mac OS X 10.6 (and backporting two years worth of bugfixes from my development version, which has all sorts of neat new features but which apparently is still too buggy for release :( ).