Camino [2.1.2] optimized G3, G4(7400 & 7450) and G5

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

RPMozley

Re: Camino [2.0.6] optimized G3, G4(7400 & 7450) and G5

Post by RPMozley »

bittin wrote:nice stuff, your gonna update this to Camino 2.0.7 in the near future?

Yes, in a couple of days time. Hopefully Friday everything will be ready.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
RPMozley

Camino 2.0.7

Post by RPMozley »

Optimised Camino 2.0.7 builds should be available now. A day early!
O:)
RPMozley

Camino [2.1b1] optimized G3, G4(7400 & 7450) and G5

Post by RPMozley »

Just a small notice, for interested people, I will have some optimised builds of Camino 2.1b1 available some time soon (barring any uploading problems). As some may already know, I'm not able to test these builds directly as my iBook G4 has gone back to office for someone else to use and I've started building on a new MacBook with Snow Leopard installed.
So, best take a few precautions before trying out the first time around, back up your Camino profile (found in ~/Library/Application Support/) and generally test things out. :!:
RPMozley

Camino 2.0.8 & 2.1b2

Post by RPMozley »

Ok, I have my optimised builds of Camino 2.0.8 and 2.1b2 available to download from File Factory and Media Fire (currently in the process of uploading as I am writing this).

P.S. I've done a test optimised build of Camino 2.1b2 for Intel Core 2 processors ("nocona" was used for optimisation), I might think about sharing it later.
blanchesdad

Re: Camino [2.0.8 & 2.1b2] optimized G3, G4(7400 & 7450) and

Post by blanchesdad »

Howdy, and thanks for the optimized build as always. I have, however, one little problem with this particular build (2.0.8) that I haven't had with any of the others you've done, and just wanted to know if there was a workaround.

I have this particular little "hack" that I like to do where I open the "MainMenu.nib" file and change the first lines in the "Bookmarks" tab. Since i have a lot of folders in the Bookmarks menu, I change the first one to "Bookmark Page...", second to "Bookmark Tab Group...", since this gives me a much "skinnier" bookmark menu, resulting in much easier access to the sub-menus for each folder on this old PowerBook...results in much less "white space" to try and get across with the trackpad, easier to open the folders.

Sorry for the long explanation, but the prob with this build is when I click on the "MainMenu.nib" file, Interface Builder says the file cannot be opened. I downloaded the "regular" Camino and was able to do my little hack without a prob. Would like to keep using your Optimized build if I can, so if there's some way to get that file to open, please let me know. Thanks!
RPMozley

Camino 2.0.8

Post by RPMozley »

blanchesdad wrote:Sorry for the long explanation, but the prob with this build is when I click on the "MainMenu.nib" file, Interface Builder says the file cannot be opened. I downloaded the "regular" Camino and was able to do my little hack without a prob. Would like to keep using your Optimized build if I can, so if there's some way to get that file to open, please let me know. Thanks!

Well there shouldn't be any harm in just replacing the "MainMenu.nib" with the official (edited by you) into my optimised build. In fact people can use any one of the other languages available in the official build and just drop them into the Resources folder (also the preference panes, to be complete).

Oh, there may well be an update to Camino 2.0 soon as there's a problem with this 2.0.8 (RC2 or was it RC3?) Not sure if that was what caused the odd thing which you saw. I'll check things out anyway, make sure it doesn't reoccur.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

@blanchesdad – is that only the mainmenu.nib ? Can you try to open any other nib file, including the preference pane files (right click and dive into the packages) ? (I'm just curious)

@RPMozley – did you change (something in) your build environment? That possibly sounds a bit like Xcode 3.2 / Snow Leopard stripping the nibs – see bug 641852.
RPMozley

Camino 2.0.8

Post by RPMozley »

phiw13 wrote:Did you change (something in) your build environment? That possibly sounds a bit like Xcode 3.2 / Snow Leopard stripping the nibs – see bug 641852.

Well I do now have to cross compile my builds on Snow Leopard. That bug could well be the problem.
blanchesdad

Post by blanchesdad »

@phiw13: Just tried opening several of the "nib" files, and they all do the same thing. Interface Builder gets launched and I get the "cannot be opened" message. Went to the Preference Panes folder and dug down to the "nib" files in each, and got the same. Whatever it is, it doesn't like people opening nibs! An aside: when I first dug into the the Preference Pane folder, I double clicked on the individual "panes" and found to my surprise that the System Preferences launched, and asked if I wanted to install this pane into the actual System Prefs. Didn't know THAT was even possible. Learn sump'n new every day. :)

@RPMozley: I did as you suggested and just dropped my "altered" MainMenu.nib into the English.lproj folder, and all is well. 8-) Many thanks!

From all us Tiger-usin'-G4-lovin' Luddites still out here: WE SALUTE YOU! :mrgreen:
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

blanchesdad wrote:@phiw13: Just tried opening several of the "nib" files, and they all do the same thing.

Thanks for testing - that confirms my theory about building on Snow Leopard being the reason.
blanchesdad wrote:Whatever it is, it doesn't like people opening nibs!

Those nibs are compressed now, that is why IB can't open them.
blanchesdad wrote:An aside: when I first dug into the the Preference Pane folder, I double clicked on the individual "panes" and found to my surprise that the System Preferences launched, and asked if I wanted to install this pane into the actual System Prefs. Didn't know THAT was even possible. Learn sump'n new every day. :)

Yeah, those are 'prefpanes' and by default open in System Preferences (the default app for that kind of file). I should have been a little more clear in y explanation… You didn't actually install it, did you? I don't expect bad things to happen, but who knows.

@RPMozley: can you try to apply the patch in that bug? That should fix the issue. (dunno if it applies cleanly to the Camino 2.0.x tree)
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Re: Camino 2.0.8

Post by Uncle Asad »

RPMozley wrote:Oh, there may well be an update to Camino 2.0 soon as there's a problem with this 2.0.8 (RC2 or was it RC3?)

It was RC4, but who's counting :P ;)

Anyway, big thanks to RPMozley for alerting us to the problem with 2.0.8 (which is entirely unrelated to these nibs; that's a function of compiling on 10.6, as phiw13 noted).
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

phiw13 wrote:Can you try to apply the patch in that bug? That should fix the issue. (dunno if it applies cleanly to the Camino 2.0.x tree)

Well I've added the changes from the patch manually to my source tree (looked like it wouldn't work in the usual patch applying manner, too many differences in some of the files - mainly the Sparkle files). Then quickly ran a build last night and it did fix up the problem nibs.
RPMozley

Camino 2.0.9

Post by RPMozley »

My optimised builds of Camino 2.0.9 are available as of a few minutes ago (File Factory & Media Fire).

Enjoy the slightly snappier feel on PowerPC once again. O:)
RPMozley

Camino 2.1rc2

Post by RPMozley »

PowerPC optimised builds of Camino 2.1rc2 are available from both hosting sites.

Hopefully version should be released as official very shortly.

RPMozley

Camino 2.1rc3

Post by RPMozley »

PowerPC builds are also available for 2.1rc3.