Inline PDF solution available for Camino 2.0a1pre builds

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

anhdru

Re: Inline PDF solution available for Camino 2.0a1pre builds

Post by anhdru »

Uncle Assad and others,

I'm still using the ancient Schubert PDF plugin, but with Camino 1.6.5 there are serious scrolling/rendering problems, plus the "save" and "print" buttons on the plugin's interface don't work at all. Any thoughts or solutions?

I'm running 10.4.11 on a PowerBook G4 15" 1.5GHz
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

anhdru wrote:I'm still using the ancient Schubert PDF plugin, but with Camino 1.6.5 there are serious scrolling/rendering problems

Those have been present forever, and continue to be present in trunk builds (though less noticeable). I've had similar issues with the buttons, though most of the time they work if I try them a second time.

cl
cgaboy

Post by cgaboy »

For those experimenting with the quartz inline pdf viewer, version 1.0 was released on 12/29/08. Using Uncle Asad's latest instructions I was able to get it to work with Camino 2.0b2.
stardomains

Post by stardomains »

I figured out why his instructions weren't working for me: the 1.0 release will not work with my Intel optimized build. I tried the universal and it worked as the person above wrote.
manuchao

Post by manuchao »

I still get crashes with anything higher than 0.9.9.2, even using Uncle Asad's instructions. Described in more detail here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1025795&p=5880485#p5880485
heckthewhat

Post by heckthewhat »

For what it's worth, I have found that if I manually install the PDF plugin per Uncle Asad's instructions, everything works if I start with a fresh Camino profile. I am using version 1.01 of the plugin, and Camino 2.0b2RC. Over time, I find the crashing problem returns, but I haven't noticed a pattern. I have all but eliminated any guesswork by making a habit of a) backing up my bookmarks and creating a new profile, b) installing a new version of Camino and c) installing the latest available PDF inline plugin.

I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot this any further, but this workaround has worked for me.
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

How is the PDF plugin working for you guys? I'm having several issues:
• Scrolling is pretty bad, with the page jumping entire pages instead of being smooth.
• Sometimes the formatting fucks up when scrolling, but scrolling itself is smooth.
• When clicking the save-to-disk button, it sometimes appears a random place in the window... You then have to keep holding down the mouse button, and then move the cursor to the 'new' save button and release, in order to save.
stardomains

Post by stardomains »

I don't use the Schubert PDF plugin. The Firefox plugin works excellently for me. You have to use one of the the older versions though. The only thing that doesn't work for me is Save As item. Otherwise it loads very fast, scrolls great and looks clean.

Use Version 0.9.9

http://code.google.com/p/firefox-mac-pd ... nloadCount

Unzip and get the pdfplugin.plugin item and put it here: ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/pdfplugin.plugin

Restart.

That's it. I don't even use those other components and it works fine.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

You shouldn't use the Firefox PDF plug-in at all. It's buggy, crash-prone, requires you to hack your bundle, and there's now a compatible version of the Schubert PDF Browser Plugin, which works much better.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
stardomains

Post by stardomains »

I think the David Munch fellow is talking about how the Schubert Plugin is buggy. I'm talking about the Firefox plugin. You don't need to hack the bundle. If you use the 0.9.9 version and place it in your internet plugins folder it works great. I've never had any problems with it. No crashes.
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

Yeah, I am talking about the Schubert plugin. Sorry for the misunderstanding.. :)

I'll try the Firefox one..
paulc

Post by paulc »

stardomains wrote:I think the David Munch fellow is talking about how the Schubert Plugin is buggy. I'm talking about the Firefox plugin. You don't need to hack the bundle. If you use the 0.9.9 version and place it in your internet plugins folder it works great. I've never had any problems with it. No crashes.

Does one the one have to remove the Shubert plugin before the "FF" one kicks in?

FWIW, I find the latest5 Shubert one to be far better than before, but still not very consistent in performance or operation. While it seems to have fewer bugs, it still has some major ones. There have been one or three occasions where I couldn't even save the pdf!
paulc

Post by paulc »

stardomains wrote:I don't use the Schubert PDF plugin. The Firefox plugin works excellently for me. You have to use one of the the older versions though. The only thing that doesn't work for me is Save As item. Otherwise it loads very fast, scrolls great and looks clean.

Use Version 0.9.9

http://code.google.com/p/firefox-mac-pd ... nloadCount

Unzip and get the pdfplugin.plugin item and put it here: ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/pdfplugin.plugin

Restart.

That's it. I don't even use those other components and it works fine.

Uh, that is listed as released 10/08 and is deprecated. Current is 1.1.2. Is it that post 0.9.9 they do NOT work except in FF?

Oh, no such item as "pdfplugin.plugin" exists in that location... are you saying to rename the xpi file?
stardomains

Post by stardomains »

Uh, that is listed as released 10/08 and is deprecated. Current is 1.1.2. Is it that post 0.9.9 they do NOT work except in FF?

Oh, no such item as "pdfplugin.plugin" exists in that location... are you saying to rename the xpi file?

The current 1.1.2 one does do not work for me in Camino. 0.9.9 works well for me in Camino.

Download the file and unzip it. You can do that by removing the xpi and replacing it with zip instead. In the resultant extracted files you will see a folder "plugins." In that folder will be a file entitled "pdfplugin.plugin." Move that file to your Internet plugin folder, i.e. ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ . That procedure works for me. I don't have the schubert plugin installed but I personally would remove it before I tried the Firefox 0.9.9 one.
paulc

Post by paulc »

Ah, much better (may not work at all for me as I'm a Tiger, but now I have a shot!).