Multiple tabs

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

josmith1

Multiple tabs

Post by josmith1 »

How do you create a bookmark where multiple tabs open together?
Just like the "Mac News Tabs".
bipto

Post by bipto »

Have all the tabs you want in the bookmark open, then select Bookmarks>Add Page to Bookmarks and check the 'Bookmark all tabs' checkbox. Easy!
pinkerton
Camino Developer

Post by pinkerton »

But I agree we need to make it easier. It is sorta hidden the way we have it now. Simon and I were chatting a little about this today.

--Mike
bipto

Post by bipto »

I think right-clicking on a tab would be a very intuitive way to do it...
pmd

Post by pmd »

Speaking of right-clicking on tabs, it seems that Chimera's handling of context menus of background tabs isn't as good as Phoenix's. If you bring up the context menu of a background tab and select 'Close tab', the foreground tab closes, rather than the one you clicked on. I use Phoenix all day at work (which correctly closes the background tab) so the difference is going to get annoying.

Or did I just dream it? :wink:
bipto

Post by bipto »

Hmm. Could have been a dream. I'm using .6 and right-clicking on a tab and slecting close tab closes that background tab, not the foreground. Maybe this is an older bug?
enamu

Post by enamu »

I think it might be helpful if one can merge existing bookmarks in Bookmarks Sidebar. That was the first place where I looked for the feature. ;)
VGZ

Post by VGZ »

enamu wrote:I think it might be helpful if one can merge existing bookmarks in Bookmarks Sidebar. That was the first place where I looked for the feature. ;)

Yeah, that would be nice. You CAN add and remove bookmarks to/from Multi-Tabmarks (any other idea what to call them?) so it shouldn't be to difficult to allow merging them. Maybe adding a button to add a Multi-Tab bookmark the way you add a folder.
VGZ; Otaku, Fanfic author, and Mac Zealot.
enamu

Post by enamu »

Actually, the way you add or remove items to "multi-tabmarks" is pretty intuitive already. They act just like folders in Bookmarks drawer. I like it.

Hmm.. What if you can simply make a new "multi-tabmarks" with a click of button, like you make a new folder?

And/or you can convert a folder to a "multi-tabmarks" and vice versa?
WeSaySo

Post by WeSaySo »

enamu wrote:Hmm.. What if you can simply make a new "multi-tabmarks" with a click of button, like you make a new folder?

And/or you can convert a folder to a "multi-tabmarks" and vice versa?

Even better than having two fixed states (folder v multi-bookmark) would be to have one single container type that has two possible actions. For example, you could double click the icon in the drawer to expand and see the contents, or you could context-menu it to open all the enclosed bookmarks as new tabs.
Ad astra
laurik

Post by laurik »

WeSaySo wrote:Even better than having two fixed states (folder v multi-bookmark) would be to have one single container type that has two possible actions.

Indeed. I believe this is what Phoenix does. Bookmark folders act like folders, except that a modified click (a middle-click, I believe) opens all of the folder's bookmarks into tabs, like a tab set would.

Currently, there is no way to make a new, empty tab group in Chimera and drag sites into it, but one can move items out of and into a group that has been generated by bookmarking a set of tabs. They're sort of like folders, but the slight differences make them counterintuitive. So why not go the extra mile and collapse the tab group system into bookmark folders?
pixelcentric.net -- penguins! we need more penguins!