Outlook2003 skin for thundebird [Very close to..er finished]

Discuss application theming and theme development.
jeanjean

Post by jeanjean »

dbrands wrote:I am working on an Outlook 2003 Theme too. <a href="http://www.grasschnixe.de/meri/mozilla/Thunderbird/themes/outbird/outbird-preview.png">Here</a> is a Screenshot of what I have done.

Parts of the Adressbook are also already skinned. Compose-Window has to be skinned and I think it will be done this Weekend. Sunday, I am going to release the first beta.

Nice one ^^ I was thinking about releasing one without the special office ui because this is what requires most of the work.
Dave88

Post by Dave88 »

Nice job dbrands, looking forward to the Outbird theme.
dbrands

Post by dbrands »

The biggest problem is, that I do not find all Icons in a width of 24 x 24 pixel. Despite of that, I am going to try to remake the missing Icons. But I don't know if I will succeed. Stay tuned guys.

The support for the "Purge" extension is finished. Everyone who is using IMAP and this extension will also see a new Icon :-)

Support for Buttons! 0.5.0 and MagicSLR will follow soon. But I have to create some Icons on my own. Dunno how long this will take.

<a href="http://www.grasschnixe.de/meri/mozilla/Thunderbird/themes/outbird/outbird-preview.png">Here is a new Screenshot with a clearer look</a>

So long,

Daniel
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

Looks fine so far. Keep up your great work ;)
thorazine

Post by thorazine »

@dbrands: it looks great!!! I'm waiting to try that first beta.

It could be the screenshot but the toolbar icons doesnt look as clear as the folder pane icons? Are they resized or modified some way?

Have u thought about adding support for right-aligned icon labels? Thats the default Office 2003 look I think, it would look better with small icons if u dont manage to get the larger size. Maybe you can borrow some of the code from one of Phoenity's sub-skins.
dbrands

Post by dbrands »

thorazine wrote:It could be the screenshot but the toolbar icons doesnt look as clear as the folder pane icons? Are they resized or modified some way?

Have u thought about adding support for right-aligned icon labels? Thats the default Office 2003 look I think, it would look better with small icons if u dont manage to get the larger size. Maybe you can borrow some of the code from one of Phoenity's sub-skins.

The icons in the toolbar are resized from 32x32 to 24x24. But I think they are quite looking clear.

right-aligned icon labels? <-- I do not know what you mean. That's my bad english ;-)

I'll have a look at the Phoenity Skins and ask for code if I have found something useful.
thorazine

Post by thorazine »

This is what I mean with my even-worse-english :-P:

As u can see the icon labels are placed to the right of the icons instead of below. I think this setup could look great with 16x16 px outlook icons and mimi office ui better than the default placement.
dbrands

Outbird 2003 Alpha

Post by dbrands »

I decided to give you the first alpha release now!

What has been done:

- Icons for toolbar new skinned
- adressbook contactspane skinned
- folderpane designed new
- messagepane has new icons
- horizontal toolbar button text
- "Purge" extension support
- only small icons available in 16x16 *

*Addition
It is not possible to disable text beside the icons. Text will always be shown

To do:

- compose window has to be reskinned completely new
- adressbook has to be reskinned partly new
- support for several extension has to be added (MagigSLR, Buttons! etc.)

<a href="http://www.grasschnixe.de/meri/mozilla/Thunderbird/themes/outbird/outbird-preview.png">Here is a Screenshot</a>

<a href="http://www.grasschnixe.de/meri/mozilla/Thunderbird/themes/outbird/outbird2003alpha.jar">Here is the download of Outbird 2003 Alpha</a>

Have phun with it and please report any bugs or errors.

Thanks,

Daniel
Systemlord

Post by Systemlord »

I'm sorry, but I've found the first big bug. It's impossible to chage the button type between "Symbols", "Symbols and Text" and "Text". Whatever I choose there is always the symbol text on the right side of the symbol :-(

BTW: If the text would be under the icons, IMHO the skin would be look much better :-)
Autumnmist

Post by Autumnmist »

Looking good.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Daniel,

Unfortunately, you missed the only good part of the look to Outlook, and that is the message preview looks like the print preview. The other Outlook theme in this thread by jeanjean did just that. Maybe you guys can come to an agreement to share the header code?

Otherwise, looks good. Would like to see the no icon text implemented as well. Sorry to be such a nitpick! :)
Systemlord

Post by Systemlord »

smsmith wrote:Maybe you guys can come to an agreement to share the header code?

Why just the header code?? IMHO it would make more sense if they would collaborate and create this theme together
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Systemlord wrote:Why just the header code?? IMHO it would make more sense if they would collaborate and create this theme together

I guess I was letting them go their seperate ways on the rest of the project, but the print preview header in the preview pane is one of the most distinct styles of the Outlook, well, look.
Pikachu90000

Post by Pikachu90000 »

Shouldn't you do something that has Office 2003's theme
pika9@ deviantART ~Home to the Winstripe Classic theme.
Pikachu90000's Firefox Theme Review Blog
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Pikachu90000 wrote:Shouldn't you do something that has Office 2003's theme

I've been mulling this post for a while as to gather what you are trying to say. Is it "Shouldn't you do something that has Office 2003's theme?", or is it "You shouldn't do something that has Office 2003's theme."

Personally, the only thing I like about the "upgrade" that is Office 2003 is the preview pane in Outlook and some of the Word/Excel icons. They seem to glow. Pretty cool.

But, I really hate those damn "smart" tags. All they ever do is get in the way...