Big Theme change again in Firefox 4?

Discuss application theming and theme development.
DonGato

Re: Big Theme change again in Firefox 4?

Post by DonGato »

If you can't handle criticism just don't work for an Open Source project. :P
patheticcockroach

Post by patheticcockroach »

WattsvilleBlues wrote:For the interested, here are mockups (not wireframes) for Firefox 4.0.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Wi ... me_Mockups
Discuss:-)

Where's the search bar? Most screens are like over 1400 pixels wide nowadays, why place the URL box almost alone on its line? :roll:

Aronnax! wrote:If you read the proposal, there's a lot of new interesting things hidden here (home tab, progress bar, the stop/reload/go combination), but it's not all expanded on at once.

Progress bar? I already have a progress bar... Oh no, wait, I don't have it anymore, because the extension that used to place it got BROKEN by the last Firefox update.
Stop button just right near the instant bookmark button? Don't you think I don't already accidentally hit that damn button often enough without adding a real point of interest around it?

Aronnax! wrote:Just because another browser has something, doesn't mean we *have* to do it differently.

Just because another browser has something, doesn't mean we *have* to do it the same.

Aronnax! wrote:There's a lot of cool things in all the major browsers these days.

And a lot of useless gadgets too.

Aronnax! wrote:"Whoever thought it was a good idea to remove the menu bar?" — Quite a number of other browsers. But to give you a proper answer, the amount of functionality you use in day-to-day use of the browser really isn't that large, so having a dedicated bar for the menu makes less sense. On the Mac side, things work differently, and the menu bar will probably stay in place, as the OS X user interface has a different approach to menus.

So... you're telling me I need to get a Mac? Not fair, why would Mac users be spared?

some people wrote:about Fx 3.5/3.6pre speed

Open a session with 2-3 auto-surf tabs. Let them run for 10 hours. Then come back and tell me about Firefox's, speed. Usually in these conditions I get a CPU core permanently at 100%. I think probably it can't handle such a big history.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

@patheticcockroach
Aronnax! just quoted what Alexander Limi wrote...
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
Kuden

Post by Kuden »

Firefox 3.7 Mockup Redux 2.5

Firefox 3.7 Mockup has already been made a theme...
KLB

Post by KLB »

Kuden wrote:Firefox 3.7 Mockup Redux 2.5

Firefox 3.7 Mockup has already been made a theme...

This is better. The URL and search boxes are separate and I like that they fixed the back/forward arrows to be real arrows rather than gt/lt bird beaks (I never liked the bird beaks). As long as there was a built in option (e.g. no add-on needed) to restore the traditional menus, I'd be okay with this.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

Progress bar? I already have a progress bar...

Hi,
i`m pretty sure that every Firefox developer will write especially for you a personal excuse with:
"We are so sorry patheticcockroach ..we are so sorry that Firefox is not exactly what you want .. so sorry that it is not exactly around your setup and your wishes. We have build it as well for 300 millions other guys, but the next version is then again especially for you". :D

So... you're telling me I need to get a Mac? Not fair, why would Mac users be spared?

:D the Mac OS has even advanced UI conventions and there is no reason to change and fix something .. unlike Windows/Linux :shock: :-"
KLB

Post by KLB »

Aronnax! wrote: :D the Mac OS as even advanced UI conventions and there is no reason to change and fix something .. unlike Windows/Linux :shock: :-"

You're just trying to start a Mac vs. everyone else flame war aren't you. :wink:
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
patheticcockroach

Post by patheticcockroach »

ShareBird wrote:@patheticcockroach
Aronnax! just quoted what Alexander Limi wrote...

Oops :oops: Anyway, that's what happens when you don't use the quote tag...

Aronnax! wrote:
Progress bar? I already have a progress bar...

[...] so sorry that it is not exactly around your setup and your wishes. We have build it as well for 300 millions other guys, but the next version is then again especially for you". :D

Are you trying to tell me I'm the only one using Tab Mix Plus? :P
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

KLB wrote:
Aronnax! wrote:You're just trying to start a Mac vs. everyone else flame war aren't you. :wink:

I would never start a flame war. But together with my old fellow (the Pope and Osama) is it from time time necessary to deliver the sinner the true. [-o<
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

patheticcockroach wrote:Are you trying to tell me I'm the only one using Tab Mix Plus? :P

Only the worst evil sinner use Tab Mix Plus .. and we should naturally not build Firefox around the evil wishes from these poor sinner [-o< [-o< [-o<
James

Post by James »

Aronnax! wrote:

:D the Mac OS has even advanced UI conventions and there is no reason to change and fix something .. unlike Windows/Linux :shock: :-"

Hey Linux users does not need fixing... :twisted:
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

I think the confusion over the Mac way not needing to be 'fixed' is that on Windows the menus are handled within the window, so changes to window structure include alterations to menu display and structure. On Mac OS X, the menus are not part of the window, they are displayed in the Menu bar contextually to what program is currently in focus. Some other *nix implementations have used this too, via various GUIs available. If there's a platform switch implied by the discussion of menu choices, it'd seem that Linux would be your 'winner' - it can go both ways if you really want it to, and you don't have to change hardware to run it.
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

I really like the integrated URL/search box and streamlined UI planned for Firefox 4. :) The less a browser get in the way of browsing, the better. The more bold Mozilla dare to be to achieve what they want, the better. Sure, they should listen to user input while doing this, but also keep in mind that people even preferred mind boggling menu hierarchies over the ribbon bar in Office 2007, just out of being afraid of changes. Yes, it resembles especially Chrome, but I like Chrome's UI too. :p

However, I'm also very curious about how the theme will look like on Mac, as that's my main system at home.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

IMO...

Status bar:
+status bar should be like in Chromium, it only should shown himself when you move mouse/keyboard to link...
+status bar for percent page loading should be integrated in address bar (like i Safari?)

-but option to add old static status bar must be... thats the main problem for me (Yes popups, Greasemonkey, Adblock Plus etc...) I dont want to trash "upper menus" with icons...

Bookmarks:
+Bookmarks menu and option to add "Bookmarks" to menu bar near Tools and Page is a must

And the main features in next Firefox...
-attach old theme to Firefox too, like in many nowadays programs...
-will be good when this new theme will be very customizable for moving bars, menus etc...
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

For people using addons status bar is not that easy to hide. It has a lot of information and actions.
Page loading progress indication is much more expressive in the tab as Tab Mix Plus does.