Mozilla 2.0 / Firefox 4.0 theme changes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
mcdavis

Re: Mozilla 2.0 / Firefox 4.0 theme changes

Post by mcdavis »

That looks like Bug 582485 - Remove history dropdown arrow behind back button

The impact for me is that I'll need app-version-specific styling, probably using chrome.manifest and appversion flags, or maybe testing for #tab-view-deck, which is always present for 4.0 and never present for 3.6.

EDIT - Updated to use Patrick's suggestion for #tab-view-deck below.
Last edited by mcdavis on October 26th, 2010, 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Unfortunately, in my infinite genius I decided to make the dropmarker central to most of my themes.... and I thought for sure Mozilla would leave it in for themes that wanted it. How silly of me.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

I updated the comment about bug 590039 to make it more clear that Fx4 supports both box-shadow and -moz-box-shadow. The radius is interpreted differently for Fx3.6 vs. Fx4, but you can use the same -moz-box-shadow name with both browser versions.

Patrick - I see what you mean about the dropmarker. :S
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Bug 543910 - [Windows] Improve Windows OS theme detection for Firefox.next

Lets you write media queries based on the Windows desktop theme.

@media all and (-moz-windows-theme: aero) { /* some rules here */ }

Legal values:

-moz-windows-theme: aero
-moz-windows-theme: luna-blue
-moz-windows-theme: luna-olive
-moz-windows-theme: luna-silver
-moz-windows-theme: royale
-moz-windows-theme: zune
-moz-windows-theme: generic

Also lets you use corresponding values with the :-moz-system-metric() pseudo-class in CSS rule selectors.

#urlbar:-moz-system-metric(windows-theme-aero) {}

Presumed legal values (I didn't test all of them):

:-moz-system-metric(windows-theme-generic)
:-moz-system-metric(windows-theme-luna-blue) verified on XP
:-moz-system-metric(windows-theme-luna-olive) verified on XP
:-moz-system-metric(windows-theme-luna-silver)
:-moz-system-metric(windows-theme-royale)
:-moz-system-metric(windows-theme-zune)
:-moz-system-metric(windows-theme-aero) verified on Vista

This is all new, so there's no theme impact as such, other than giving you the option to better match the desktop theme in your styling.
patrickjdempsey

That's actually pretty cool! I'm using Highlight color liberally through my themes but in Luna Silver the Highlight color is way too close to other theme colors so it would be great to be able to use a darker grey for highlighting buttons and tabs in Luna Silver! Have they stripped out "classic" and replaced it with "generic"?
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

patrickjdempsey wrote:That's actually pretty cool! I'm using Highlight color liberally through my themes but in Luna Silver the Highlight color is way too close to other theme colors so it would be great to be able to use a darker grey for highlighting buttons and tabs in Luna Silver! Have they stripped out "classic" and replaced it with "generic"?

I couldn't get a "generic" rule to fire with any of the Vista desktop settings, so it doesn't have to do with classic. In some of the C++ code comments it says "unknown theme" next to that case, so I guess it means "none of the above", such as when you're using a StarDock WindowBlinds theme.

I still have questions about how these overlap with -moz-windows-default-theme, -moz-windows-classic and -moz-windows-compositor. I haven't had to go into this much before, since I mostly ignore the desktop theme and handle all that myself.
patrickjdempsey

mcdavis wrote:That looks like Bug 582485 - Remove history dropdown arrow behind back button.

The impact for me is that I'll need app-version-specific styling, probably using chrome.manifest and appversion flags, or maybe testing toolbox[tabsontop], which is always true for 4.0 and never true for 3.6.

Just use tav-view-deck to detect 4.0, tabsontop is true in 3.6 if the user has 4.0 and 3.6 in the same profile. I've filed Bug 606878 to restore it... it will probably be WONTFIXED but it's worth a shot:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=606878
akayser

Post by akayser »

The bug that removed the history dropdown:
Bug 582485 - Remove history dropdown arrow behind back button.

Bug 465839 - Controls for <video> content are missing.
This one adds a new label, but hides it in the non-fennec themes:

Code: Select all

.positionLabel{display:none}
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
akayser

Post by akayser »

Doorhanger problem as reported by me:
Bug 607252 - Doorhanger arrow is within content area, so easy to simulate by a webpage

In Default theme:
Doorhanger panel in default theme by alfredkayser, on Flickr

In Nautipolis, it looks like this:
Doorhanger panel in Nautipolis by alfredkayser, on Flickr
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
akayser

Post by akayser »

Support your faithful reporter, and nominate me for a Firefox 4 t-shirt!.
P.s., My country is The Netherlands, and email consists of gmail.com and alfredkayser.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Knowing Mozilla they wouldn't allow you to get one 'cause you are helpful over here.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 588655 - When in private browsing mode, make the Firefox button purple
Bug 591930 - Persona background is drawn too high in titlebar
Bug 597178 - about:addons has extra back-forward buttons

As long as Firefox doesn't allow Themes with Personas, one could question why bother supporting Personas in themes?
last one is not a real theme change, but back/forward buttons in addons will be hidden, when the outerframe has back/forward buttons
stratareloaded

Post by stratareloaded »

As long as Firefox doesn't allow Themes with Personas, one could question why bother supporting Personas in themes?

Just add <em:skinnable>true</em:skinnable> to your install.rdf and Personas work just fine.
patrickjdempsey

stratareloaded wrote:

Just add <em:skinnable>true</em:skinnable> to your install.rdf and Personas work just fine.

...after you go through the trouble of finding all of the details of how to skin them. I'm actually far less worried about Personas than I am Glass... at least Personas I can test myself.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

akayser wrote:The bug that removed the history dropdown: Bug 582485 - Remove history dropdown arrow behind back button.

This makes the unified back-forward button work on Windows and Linux platforms the way it's already been working on the Mac.

1 - changes the back and forward buttons to tbb[type="menu"]
2 - enables click-and-hold on either button to see the nav history menupopup

I didn't see right away where the [type="menu"] came from so I looked a little deeper. It turns out it's not in the XUL source; it's added by JS code instead. I would guess it's leftover from when things had to be done differently for the Mac vs. the rest, since doing it in XUL would be simpler and more obvious.

Specifically:
- completely removes the XUL that formerly created the dropmarker within the unified-back-forward-button
- from browser.css, removes the rules that formerly targeted that dropmarker
- also enables click-and-hold (to show the nav history menupopup) for all platforms
-- for fx3.6, only the mac had this
-- for fx4, all platforms have this
- changes the type of the contained #back-button and #forward-button from vanilla tbb.tbb-1 to tbb[type="menu"].tbb-1
-- the mac already was this way (for fx3.6 and 4, probably since fx3)
-- but now, all platforms have it for fx4
-- this code change doesn't show up in the diff per se because it was already there but formerly ifdef'd out to make it mac specific
--- by removing the ifdef, it's now enabled for all platforms
-- because they're now tbb[type="menu"], both back and forward now have dropmarkers
--- via the standard type="menu" binding
--- the dropmarkers are hidden by existing rules in content/browser.css
---- these rules were already present, for use on the mac, but didn't formerly apply w winstripe and gnomestripe because those dropmarkers weren't there until now

Patrick, those dropmarkers don't seem to be hooked up to anything, but since you're already on this I stopped looking at that point.

akayser wrote:Bug 588655 - When in private browsing mode, make the Firefox button purple

(OT: The color PURPLE is a trademark of 3M)