We need more themers.

Discuss application theming and theme development.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Hey great - the community will have 50-60+ more themes to choose from! Just so you know, I will add credits in preview for all those that help. Not a big deal but I always give credit where credit is due.
xN8x

Post by xN8x »

I have Crystal running with back and forward buttons now. I have a few other bugs to work out on it. The scrollbar isn't there, when a file can either be opened or saved from the internet, it doesn't have the save option, I need to color the scrollbars, and the extensions windows need to have the theme applied to them. I would be making faster progress, but I have school and stuff that's taking up my theming time. Oh well, it will get done, slowly but surely.
Firefox is the best browser known to mankind. 2 out of 3 geeks agree. <br>
<a href="http://nate.teamstortz.com/index.html">Nate's Corner of the Web</a>
<br>
Check out my site, I made sure it was firefox compatible the easiest way I knew how; I developed and tested it using firefox. :)
xN8x

Post by xN8x »

HAHAHAHA, I'm such an idiot.... I said there was a bug with the scrollbars. I spent like an hour pouring over the code looking for typos. Then I saw "widgets" ... I soon realized that THIS IS AN OSX THEME and I'm on Windows... So I simply changed widgets to bindings and ba-da-boom-ba-da-bing... we have scrollbars. I'll fix the other bugs that are actually bugs and then send you the mac and windows versions.
<br>
Check out my site, I made sure it was firefox compatible the easiest way I knew how; I developed and tested it using firefox. :)
lucx

Post by lucx »

It’s one thing to have an elaborate theme system for technical reasons. It’s wonderful that it allows for greater expression. But let’s not justify it by saying it weeds out the less dedicated themes.

lynchknot wrote:... look at Luna and IE icons - yuk!

A great disservice to the community and profession come from the knee-jerk criticism that occurs. Luna and IE icons were not made by some engineer at Microsoft, but by the fine people at Iconfactory. Negative jabs for personal or political resons do little but add to the Winstripe-is-crap-and-I-don’t-know-why-the-developers-chose-to-use-it noise, but it’s great if you want to devalue to importance of effective communication.
aaron

Post by aaron »

I'd just like to say that it's nice see some themers getting recognition. It's nice to know that the time and effort put in to the themes is worth it :)
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Hey lucx, no offense but - how about a big \/\/hatever. I'm not here to debate with you and I really don't care for this "conversation". You seem to want to argue. Perhaps you should take up this topic with someone who can make a difference (devs). Sorry.

I don't know if you realize it or it's my imagination but you seem to "come off" with some sort of grating, descending arrogance about your manner. Perhaps you are unaware that you exhude such a demeanor. Anyway, it annoys me so i'm ending this now. I don't want ill feelings toward each other.

My apologies if I am incorrect.
lucx

Post by lucx »

We can't have a robust debate if we sugar-coat our words. The stuff I say isn't being pull randomly out of my posterior, so I speak them with confidence. I see no reason why this discussion shouldn't tango with a little controversy and dwelve into issues outside the general comfort zone.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

By all means, feel free. I only excused myself. I'm just not interested in the topic direction nor am I interested in "robust" debate at this time. Besides, it would be constructive debate if you included one of the developers - without them, it's more a bitch and moan session. Have you thought of submitting a bug? You can start a nice dialog there.

aaaanyway - xN8x, it's your thread - take it where you will.
xN8x

Post by xN8x »

I started this thread to tell people I think we need more themers and see whether or not people agreed. I didn't expect a difficult vs. easy theming debate and an ugly icons arguement. Then again, I can't control what you guys post, after all, I'm one of you. So I dont' care what this thread does... lol. Let it die if it's going to start a big fight.... unless you guys wanna fight. W/e it's up to you.
<br>
Terpfen

Post by Terpfen »

Just my non-themer opinion: you'll get more themers when making themes becomes easier (perhaps someone could code an extension to do this) and when up-to-date tutorials become available. I can run a search for "Firefox theme tutorial" and most of the results will be forum posts asking for the location of tutorials.
xN8x

Post by xN8x »

I was thinking the other day about that, the theming extension or a whole theming program. If it gave you the basic GUI and let you make changes and see theme right away like a WYSIWYG editor. Sort of like dreamweaver or frontpage. But, that would mean the "coders" would have to recognize that we exist and idk when that will happen. Post a suggestion for it in the extensions forum.
<br>
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Theme tutorial (the easy way) Not a photoshop tutorial

1. Find similar size theme that you would like to use your icons with (and ask author for permission - it's just proper)
2. import icons (png) to photoshop as well as your own
3. Use existing theme images as a template
4. drag and drop new image over old one - careful lining it up
5. delete old layer png
6. drag and drop new png into theme jar
7. rename theme jar and contents of install.rdf, contents.rdf

If you work right out of Firefox profile you can restart browser anytime to see your new images

xN8x - I did not appreciate where the thread was headed so I excused myself. No problems. I do admire lucx's work and respect him/her - I just don't want to debate as it won't change anything.
aconbere

Post by aconbere »

Something I've been considering since my work on Whitehart, is taking a basic theme, and really making common sense, easy to understand comments on as many features in the code as I can. This template could then be made available with a fairly basic guide and would be VERY usefull. If people are interested. um.. yeah... tell me. I'll probably put something together this christmas.

Anders
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

If people are interested. um.. yeah... tell me.

Very interested...

I believe someone over at the Mozdev theme archive once upon a time took a stab at this concept, by creating a very bare-boned <a href="http://themes.mozdev.org/basic.html">basic theme</a>, from which others could potentially build.
I believe it was destined for the Suite, originally, but never came to fruition, unfortunately.

If you could pull it off Anders, it would be one hell of a boon to novices and masters alike.
aconbere

Post by aconbere »

While I'm partial to starting with Whitehart since many of the redundant and uncessary parts of classic have been removed in it while it remains fully featured. I would probably start with the "classic" backbone, and just start commenting. I could put up a little web page, to get people together, and we could dole out tasks. If we broke up the theme into sections, for example, browser/browser.css, is a big one (of course), but also the global files are all so imporant, that they might take a little more time to flesh out, and If we had 10 people commenting I bet we could finnish it in a weekend or two.

Anders