Native appearance issues

Discuss application theming and theme development.
cheeaun

Native appearance issues

Post by cheeaun »

I would like to raise a few issues about the native look of the themes on different OSes. Here are some points:
  1. Dropmarker appearance. In older Windows, the native dropmarker is simply a 1px border, but WinXP uses some border-radius and couldn't be emulated from whatever method I've used. I've tried applying -moz-appearance: toolbarbutton directly to the dropmarker id but seems still problematic, with odd extra paddings. AFAIK, even the 'real' Classic couldn't emulate this native effect in Windows XP.
  2. Toolbar seperator (so-called horizontal line). In WinXP, the seperator uses a different color instead of using ThreedShadow and ThreedHighlight. I found out that WinXP uses a lighter color which explains why the seperators look darker. I've thought of using ThreedLightShadow, but that is not native in older Windows anymore. And there seems to have no values for the -moz-appearance property for these elements.
  3. Menu items and popups. The menu effects and menu popup appearance are totally different in both WinXP and older Windows. Older Windows uses the normal 1px border for the menuitem in the menubar and '-moz-border-colors' for the popups, natively. But in WinXP, the native menus are much flat. Are there any values for its -moz-appearance?

Well, I only capable of comparing these in Windows. How about *nix users? Any ideas?
Phoenity http://phoenity.com/
You should follow me on Twitter here http://twitter.com/cheeaun
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Well, for me, userChrome.css no longer overrode anything.
djst

Re: Native appearance issues

Post by djst »

cheeaun wrote:I would like to raise a few issues about the native look of the themes on different OSes. Here are some points:
  1. Dropmarker appearance. In older Windows, the native dropmarker is simply a 1px border, but WinXP uses some border-radius and couldn't be emulated from whatever method I've used. I've tried applying -moz-appearance: toolbarbutton directly to the dropmarker id but seems still problematic, with odd extra paddings. AFAIK, even the 'real' Classic couldn't emulate this native effect in Windows XP.
  2. Toolbar seperator (so-called horizontal line). In WinXP, the seperator uses a different color instead of using ThreedShadow and ThreedHighlight. I found out that WinXP uses a lighter color which explains why the seperators look darker. I've thought of using ThreedLightShadow, but that is not native in older Windows anymore. And there seems to have no values for the -moz-appearance property for these elements.
  3. Menu items and popups. The menu effects and menu popup appearance are totally different in both WinXP and older Windows. Older Windows uses the normal 1px border for the menuitem in the menubar and '-moz-border-colors' for the popups, natively. But in WinXP, the native menus are much flat. Are there any values for its -moz-appearance?
Well, I only capable of comparing these in Windows. How about *nix users? Any ideas?

These are all problems with the nsITheme (is that what it's called?) for Windows XP. I think David Hyatt is the one in charge for Windows XP. I sure hope all these issues will be fixed in the future.