Seriously hacking the new Addons Manager

Discuss application theming and theme development.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Seriously hacking the new Addons Manager

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Discovered a weird bug in this week's nightlies that causes all of the content of my hacked Addons Manager to overflow off the right edge of the screen. VERY ANNOYING. After several hours of hunting and pecking I've finally found the culprits and the fix:

Code: Select all

/* fix weird problem where overflow gets cut off */
#addons-page .alert-container,
#addons-page #view-port-container {
overflow: hidden !important; }
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Thanks for posting that, I've been wondering what the problem was. Very nice.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

New question about hacking the Add-ons Manager: on the "Available Updates" view, if you don't have any updates, you see any empty richlistbox. See screenshot.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/ ... istbox.png

This looks fine if you don't decorate your richlistbox (the Windows default theme, Charamel) but if you use a richlistbox background and/or borders then it looks funny (NNL, Walnut).

Is there any way to write a CSS selector to match the richlistbox in this case, or any other ideas? I looked once and didn't see any attributes we could use.

To get this view:
1 - go the the Addons Manager, check for updates, find some
2 - leave it on that view
3 - restart Firefox
4 - when Firefox restarts, it'll come back up to the same view, but there won't be any updates listed

OK, so I wrote that and thought I'll look really silly if the answer is right there so I better look again. And what do you know:

Code: Select all

#updates-list-empty:not([hidden="true"]) + #update-actions + #updates-list {
  visibility: collapse !important;
}

Funny how the mind works. How the act of forming the question, and of having the desire for the answer that's necessary to form the question in the first place, prepares you to receive the answer.

Anyway ... this is probably incomplete UI design. Rather than telling you there are no updates when actually you didn't yet ask it to check for updates and it doesn't yet know whether there are any or not, it should probably just do something else like switch to the Get Add-ons view.
patrickjdempsey

Yeah man, that seems like it's worth filing a bug on. The manager shouldn't be looking for updates that don't exist between sessions.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
T0morrow

Post by T0morrow »

Just wanted to ask.Should i begin with my own userChrome.css tweaks or should i wait some more?.I mean not much point in starting to tweak if i find out the next day that all my previous work(or even part of it) has been rendered useless by update.I always use the latest b?pre version.

I mean according to this: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4/Beta#Milestones Beta 7 had:
Finalize all interfaces, no more API changes on mozilla 2.0, no new feature work,String freeze
Zigboom

Post by Zigboom »

@mcdavis:

Thanks for the info, my themes have the same bug.

I'm trying this approach that is stretches the empty box up (because the empty box has a nice image inside it that I don't want to give-up.

#updates-list-empty {
max-height: 30px !important;
}

I couldn't test it yet when there are updates available.
Do you think it'll work?

Before screenshot:
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6959 ... rd01mn.jpg
After Screenshot:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6356 ... rd02lw.jpg
-=# LavaFox & Black Fox - Dark & hot themes for Firefox #=-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/4710003/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Zigboom wrote:Do you think it'll work?

Yeah, that seems good too. That'll work for you because the background color of your richlistbox is the same as the color of the surroundings, so you don't need to hide it.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

T0morrow wrote:Just wanted to ask.Should i begin with my own userChrome.css tweaks or should i wait some more?.

There will be changes right up to the end, no matter what the statement is about feature freeze. This is because it's almost always a win for Mozilla developers to fix these low risk and high reward UI things now that the underpinnings are in place. Dao just said the same thing in Alfred's and Kuden's thread, and that's how it always is.

Are you talking about userChrome.css changes for your own use? If so, then you can wait or not, right? Must be nice to be on your own schedule. ;)

Personally, I find it a lot more fun to do it once and get it right than to redo it. That's why I haven't done TabCandy/Panorama yet. I hope to just do that once at the end, although I'm sure I'll have deal with a few more changes trailing in.
T0morrow

Post by T0morrow »

mcdavis wrote:
T0morrow wrote:Just wanted to ask.Should i begin with my own userChrome.css tweaks or should i wait some more?.

There will be changes right up to the end, no matter what the statement is about feature freeze. This is because it's almost always a win for Mozilla developers to fix these low risk and high reward UI things now that the underpinnings are in place. Dao just said the same thing in Alfred's and Kuden's thread, and that's how it always is.

Are you talking about userChrome.css changes for your own use? If so, then you can wait or not, right? Must be nice to be on your own schedule. ;)

Personally, I find it a lot more fun to do it once and get it right than to redo it. That's why I haven't done TabCandy/Panorama yet. I hope to just do that once at the end, although I'm sure I'll have deal with a few more changes trailing in.

Well currently im planning on doing this when the first RC comes.Should be ok enough and should have week or two to figure things(and ask for help at mozillazine :twisted: ) out until final release comes.
Yes im doing this for myself so im not constrained by needs to keep this or keep that thing at default.Firefox 4 will be a major upgrade for me.Im planning on redoing some things from ground up as opposed to simply importing whole files like have been doing since 2.0
Zigboom

Post by Zigboom »

mcdavis wrote:
Zigboom wrote:Do you think it'll work?

Yeah, that seems good too. That'll work for you because the background color of your richlistbox is the same as the color of the surroundings, so you don't need to hide it.

Thanks mcdavis!
-=# LavaFox & Black Fox - Dark & hot themes for Firefox #=-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/4710003/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

I've been noticing the back and forward arrows inside the Add-ons Manager showing up or not for no reason I can understand. Is this a known issue, or just me?
patrickjdempsey

I'm seeing it running just the default theme in a clean profile ever since they decided to hide the other toolbars. I think it's supposed to show when tabs are on top, and it's supposed to hide when tabs are on bottom, but it appears to be very broken.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

mcdavis wrote:I've been noticing the back and forward arrows inside the Add-ons Manager showing up or not for no reason I can understand. Is this a known issue, or just me?

I guess I know what you mean, sometimes it appears and sometimes not... Very weird. I'm also noticing this (I'm observing this without changing my setup, i.e. using all the time tabs on top)
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
Paenglab

Post by Paenglab »

mcdavis wrote:I've been noticing the back and forward arrows inside the Add-ons Manager showing up or not for no reason I can understand. Is this a known issue, or just me?

This may be Bug 629418
Nuvola theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Ah, thank you. I keep the Add-ons Manager in an app tab, so that bug would be relevant.