Seriously hacking the new Addons Manager

Discuss application theming and theme development.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Seriously hacking the new Addons Manager

Post by patrickjdempsey »

mcdavis wrote:Ah, thank you. I keep the Add-ons Manager in an app tab, so that bug would be relevant.

Yup, same here.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

Thanks for the link Philip. I'm glad Sharebird took up the initiative here, there was a ton of inflexible poorly written code going on in here! I had filed a bug some time ago with a similar intent, but there was no interest in it, and I haven't peeked recently to see if this stuff is even in the structure:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=593754
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

I was working on the Add-ons Manager "available updates" badge where it shows the little number in the button/richlistitem. I'm trying to use a binding to put the badge where I need it and I noticed a couple things. Anybody seen this too?

1) If you use something like -moz-margin-start: -5em on .category-badge to move the badge over, the number in the badge is drawn in front but the background color on the badge is drawn behind an entirely different element (behind the text label "Available Updates"). That's weird. And it's bad for me because I want to move the badge.

2) If you view a binding in a browsertab, it seems to always report an error. This is even with bindings in the default theme, viewed using the default theme e.g. chrome://global/skin/globalBindings.xml .
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
patrickjdempsey

Hmmm... I haven't played around with them... I'm just out-and-out hiding them for now. Can you move the background-color to apply to the label of the badge instead of where-ever it's sitting now?
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Hmmm... I haven't played around with them... I'm just out-and-out hiding them for now. Can you move the background-color to apply to the label of the badge instead of where-ever it's sitting now?

Unfortunately, it seems like it has to be on .category-badge (which is also the number, and also a label) because it's there to give contrast and make the number stand out against whatever's behind it. I may be able to get away with using a fat text-shadow, which unlike background-color is layering up the right way.

Also: bindings are from a parallel universe and don't obey the usual laws of physics that I can see. Just a general observation there.
patrickjdempsey

Yes bindings are certainly from a parallel universe.. one thing that makes them super screwy is that selectors don't work as you expect them to:

#anonymous-element + #xul-element { style; }

Will do nothing, because anonymous content is not recognized as a sibling in the DOM. And they also don't work properly in parent/child chains:

#xul-parent-element > #anonymous-element > #xul-child-elment { style; }

Won't work... but it seems like sometimes in that case it works if it's:

#xul-parent-element > #xul-child-elment { style; }

...completely ignoring the anonymous content. And yet at other times it all seems to work fine. I actually ran into both of these problems moving the status text to the urlbar (I know, tsk tsk). Have you tried using -moz-box-ordinal-group to move the arrangements of the elements in the category tab?
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I actually ran into both of these problems moving the status text to the urlbar (I know, tsk tsk).

Hehe. :) Honestly - I liked it both of the other places it's been better than where it ended up. I'm pretty used to having a statusbar and looking for it there. I guess I might be saying something else if I spent most of my time on a netbook, but - two monitors here.

Have you tried using -moz-box-ordinal-group to move the arrangements of the elements in the category tab?

Yeah, thanks, I gave up on the binding for now, in the interests of time. (Check out the haters in my reviews on AMO.) What you suggested seems to be working great.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

mcdavis, I'm using a binding exactly for moving this .category-badge around... In the case you decide to do in his way and I could help, please, let me know, ok? Anyway, have a look on the devs versions from silvermel...
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
patrickjdempsey

Yeah I'm getting them too... it amazes me that some people think that being rude and giving low ratings is supposed to make us want to continue to produce something for free... and in your case people apparently think *they* should be paid? Seriously has the entitlement culture gone that far that people expect to get paid for doing something an automated screen capture program could do? Ahem AMO!!! The nicer people I've talked to were very understanding when I informed them that Mozilla had made many last-minute changes and that some things that appeared simple have turned out to be far more difficult to fix then they appeared. The rude ones... well I don't have much patience for it. :P I went ahead and reported that UsernameNN for making inappropriate reviews and foul language. Trolls be gone!
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

ShareBird wrote:mcdavis, I'm using a binding exactly for moving this .category-badge around... In the case you decide to do in his way and I could help, please, let me know, ok? Anyway, have a look on the devs versions from silvermel...

That's a great offer, I'll take you up on it. In a few days, probably. I think I'll need to get with a binding to get pixel-perfect layout with varying font sizes. What I have now is fine for the default size, and I'm using -moz-calc to help with that, but it'll be off a little if they go much larger or smaller.

OK, so that's the update badge.

New question now. I still need to add styling for the progressmeter that shows in the arrowpanel when installing an add-on. Does anyone know how to make it show up and stay up long enough to use Stylish on it? Also -- which bug that was?

EDIT: said throbber, meant progressmeter
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

mcdavis wrote:That's a great offer, I'll take you up on it. In a few days, probably. I think I'll need to get with a binding to get pixel-perfect layout with varying font sizes. What I have now is fine for the default size, and I'm using -moz-calc to help with that, but it'll be off a little if they go much larger or smaller.

Actually what I did will not work with a large choice of font sizes... But it's ok for what I want, I guess...

mcdavis wrote:New question now. I still need to add styling for the progressmeter that shows in the arrowpanel when installing an add-on. Does anyone know how to make it show up and stay up long enough to use Stylish on it? Also -- which bug that was?

What is the "arrowpanel"??
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

ShareBird wrote:Actually what I did will not work with a large choice of font sizes... But it's ok for what I want, I guess...

OK, but I can probably learn a lot from what you did either way. I'll take a look.

What is the "arrowpanel"??

Another term for doorhanger notifications. Like Save Password, Edit This Bookmark, or the geolocation popup.

(60-mph storms in the area, very exciting!)
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

mcdavis wrote:Another term for doorhanger notifications. Like Save Password, Edit This Bookmark, or the geolocation popup.(60-mph storms in the area, very exciting!)

Ohhh.... Yeah I know... I'm having a lot of annoyances with this that I have to investigate. This means I'm also looking for a way to "freeze" this panel to work on it... :-)
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

This bug I think.

Handle Bug 570012 - Show download progress indicator when installing add-ons