Theme changes from 1.0 to 1.5.0.*

Discuss application theming and theme development.
ehume

Post by ehume »

I do have a one-off suggestion for updating Firefox 1.0-compatible themes to 1.5-compatible: using ExamDiff or ExamDiff Pro, compare the Firefox 1.5 (released today) classic.jar with Firefox 1.0 classic.jar. That will give you all the changes in one fell swoop.

Many of the changes are just to make the default theme nicer.

As for the 22 pages here, the entries discussed the changes as they occurred, and give tips on how to make themes compatible with both firefox 1.0 and 1.5.

What I did wiith my own themes (created by some guy who goes by the name of Lynchknot, BTW) was to use the then-default theme as a skeleton, transferring the theme-specific files of SphereGnome to the new structure. Then when I was done debugging that, I copied the SphereGnome skeleton and transferred the theme-specific elements of the Scribblies themes to that new structrue.

Now I have a single basic structure that is reasonably up-to-date (I keep it so) for all of my SphereGnome-based themes, and a very similar one (a non-identical twin, if you will) for the Scribblies-related themes. It makes maintaining 13 themes (soon to be 14) possible, even though they are in 3 different sizes and have differing font sizes and font weights.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

@lynchknot

I remember I've answered you on this topic:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 27#1546827

ShareBird wrote:Try for example <em:id>Revolution@lynchknot.com</em:id>...

Old Greg S

Post by Old Greg S »

lynchknot wrote:whatever. I used the damn guid generator here: http://www.michaellefevre.com/cgi-bin/uuidgen.pl

Try some of these and see if one will work for ya or use the one Sharebird posted with your name/site in it
<em:id>{c59d698e-190d-4894-8da7-745d07ab13aa}</em:id>

<em:id>{B36DEB2F-5ECC-49a6-9AA5-7B06B8129F89}</em:id>

<em:id>{6A79B190-A705-417e-8291-2FF6301175D2}</em:id>

<em:id>{5912B768-1A3A-47b5-8CC3-931218ED9C67}</em:id>
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

thanks. It installed but why bother? It's causing high CPU and it's all screwed up - it's just going to be more of the same in June with version 2. I'm not going to waste my time. I am so damn burnt out updating themes and answering emails ect. I don't think opera breaks themes every version change do they?

ehume

Post by ehume »

The relevant code from Spheregnome's browser/browser.css:

Code: Select all

/* ::::: Feed Button ::::: */

#feed-button, #feed-button > .button-box,
#feed-button:hover:active > .button-box {
  padding: 0px;
  margin: 0px;
  border: 0px;
  background-color: transparent;
}

#feed-button .button-menu-dropmarker,
#feed-button .button-text {
  display: none;
}

#feed-button {
  -moz-binding: url("chrome://global/content/bindings/button.xml#menu");
  -moz-appearance: none;
  min-width: 0px;
  margin-right: 1px !important;
}

/* Feed Button[feeds] */

#feed-button[feeds] {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/page-livemarks.png");
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 16px, 16px, 0px);
}
#feed-button[chromedir="rtl"][feeds] {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/page-livemarks-rtl.png");
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 16px, 16px, 0px);
}
#feed-button[feeds]:hover {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/page-livemarks-hover.png");
}
#feed-button[feeds]:active {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/page-livemarks-active.png");
}
ehume

Post by ehume »

I just edited the name of this thread, since a thread in the Builds forum indicates that development will continue on the branch for the security updates, etc.

We have another themes thread for the trunk (from 1.5 to 1.6).

Now, should we have a third thread for what I am calling the "limb" - the ongoing Gecko 1.8-based development that will lead to Firefox 2.0 (based on Gecko 1.8)? I'm thinking that we should probably wait on that issue until after limb-based builds start showing up with different theme-related code.

On a positive note, I think I read somewhere that the next theme changes are envisioned for Firefox 3, which ought to leave us in peace.

Yup. Says here that "Improving Theme Capabilities" is set for FFx3, not FFx2.
kanine

Post by kanine »

UM Ed...isn't the 1.9 Gecko supposedto be leading toward 2.0, not the 1.8?? Otherwise, what the heck is the whole point of the 1.6a1 nightlies??

Oh, and from reading a little further into the roadmap you linked to, I don't think us themers are going to get off scott-free...note the intent to now add the feed button to 2.0 (no doubt that will require more theme-based changes)...close buttons added to tabs (hoping they won't cause some of the damned issues that the TabMix "appear on hover" instance poses for 3-part tab structures!)...and I'm sure the developers will think of more.

True the changes will most likely not be as dramatic or severe, but I guaruntee there will be some headaches
kanine

Post by kanine »

OK...now I'm confused...it says here that the livefeed in the urlbar had been backed out, yet just tried on my partners Mac (she's using 1.5) and it's still there - what the heck are they on about??
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

You're really confused... Your link point to an article about FeedView being backed out, nothing about livefeed on urlbar...
Old MTD

Post by Old MTD »

crayola_kidd wrote:UM Ed...isn't the 1.9 Gecko supposedto be leading toward 2.0, not the 1.8?? Otherwise, what the heck is the whole point of the 1.6a1 nightlies??

No, Gecko 1.8.1 (branch builds) will lead in Fx 2.0 (release date: Summer 2006) and Gecko 1.9 (trunk builds) will lead in Fx 3.0 (2007)

For more information read this sticky:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=305281
ehume

Post by ehume »

As for Feedview, that was put into and backed out of 1.4 or so, if memory serves me. It was pulled for a number of reasons.

They plan to put it back, though. I'm doubting they will have it the way they want it by 2.0, but you never know.

In any case, the Feedview extension does work, and can be themed.
ehume

Post by ehume »

BTW - I have found no theme changes between the pre-release Firefox 1.5 (2005-10-23 build) and the 1.5.0.1 release.