Theme changes from 1.0 to 1.5.0.*

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat

Post by Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat »

ehume wrote:global/browser.css

Code: Select all

tab[busy] > .tab-middle > .tab-icon {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/Throbber-small.gif");
  -moz-opacity: 0.5;
}

becomes

tab[busy] > .tab-middle > .tab-icon {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/Throbber-small.gif");
  opacity: 0.5;
}

Just FYI: No need to replace -moz-opacity with opacity as -moz-opacity is not going to be deprecated for the time being.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well. -- Missy Dizick

My Firefox themes: Red Cats (blue & green flavor), Curacao
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

What's going on with selected text? It isn't picking up the OS defaults anymore. Here's the build I am using:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050227 Firefox/1.0+

I'm seeing this in all input boxes - urlbar, options panel, etc. And I'm also seeing it if page content is selected. The text color is showing up black even though my OS defaults to white when text is selected. (The background color is ok.) The only place I see selected text behaving like it should is when menuitems and bookmarks are selected, but then these are not input boxes nor are they web page content. The blasted Find Toolbar highlighting is affected, too.

I'm testing this on the default theme as well, with no userChrome options whatsoever. I don't see any changes in textbox.css. Is anyone else seeing this?
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

CatThief wrote:Aaron, I'm not really changing anything just yet... just trying to get a head start on what lies ahead. So far the new Preferences/Options box code is a snap, but this padding and margin stuff looks like a real mess.

Well, thank someone for small favors. It seems like they've created a new stylesheet file, browser/preferences/preferences.css, for the new Options dialog. So far, it looks like I can keep the old Options dialog stylesheet, browser/pref/pref.css, and the theme file will continue to work for previous versions. I know I'll have to eventually break off another set of theme files but I'm resisting ... mightily! :-)

As far as the RTL margin/padding changes, there sure are a whole lot of them. The problem is, without having a localized RTL browser, it's next to impossible to determine what values make sense for my themes. Thus, I've decided that rather than assuming what they should be I'm going to take a more pragmatic approach. When someone with a RTL browser complains about some alignment and provides a screenshot, I will only then consider making a change.

Just to be clear, for anyone interested, I still have work to do before my themes will work for the trunk so the existing hosted versions are still not compatible.
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Sailfish wrote:Thus, I've decided that rather than assuming what they should be I'm going to take a more pragmatic approach. When someone with a RTL browser complains about some alignment and provides a screenshot, I will only then consider making a change.

Sounds like a good approach to me. :D
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

I'll admit that part of the reason I decided to not attempt it was out of laziness on my part but after thinking about it, I realized that it makes little sense adding RTL stuff unless I could test the changes. On further reflection, I also remembered that my themes may have other visually-challenged aspects when used on a localized non-English browser in that all of the toolbarbutton labels and other text areas probably don't line up real well either.

On another note, I just found out that the trunk has had some binding changes to it. The one that affected my theme (Toy Factory) was the removal of the toolbar binding (ID="toolbar-primary") placeholder from the toolkit. Since that theme used that binding for it's own binding modification, I was somewhat stumped when the theme no longer displayed the navbar. Luckily, I was able to devise a workaround.

Also, for those who are interested, both Sky Pilot Classic and Toy Factory should now work for the trunk.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Hi Sailfish,

There are no icons at PrefWindow by Sky Pilot Classic (cause outcomment in browser/preferences/preferences.css). The problem is if you have an Extension that brings an Icon for itself, the whole impression is not so good...
Last edited by ShareBird on March 4th, 2005, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Hi ShareBird, I believe you mean the buttons at the top (General, Privacy, ...), see below:
The decision to remove the images was intentional. I had images for these (and other) buttons initially but decided that it looked better the way it was originally designed (without button images.)

Let me know the extension that conflicts with the theme and I believe I can find a workaround for you that will not display the images for this theme but not affect other themes.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Hi Sailfish,

Thanks for answer.

The Icon I have is from Java Script Options, but I think there are more Extensions that will bring itselfs Icons. I think one solution could be the this modification in your global/preferences:

.paneButtonIcon {
  /*width: 32px;
  height: 32px;*/
display: none;
}

And no other Icons will appear...

I agree it looks much better without icons... Ahhh... Congratulations! Beautifull Theme!
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Okay, I added your recommended modification (thanks) and uploaded the modified themes (Toy Factory, as well.) Let me know if it solves the extension conflict.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Thank you. It works.
ehume

Post by ehume »

For the record, the Bugzilla bug for the RTL changes is here.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

A recent binding change (addition) was made to browser/browser.xml

<binding id="autocomplete-security-wrapper" extends="xul:hbox">
    <content>
      <xul:hbox id="autocomplete-security-wrapper" flex="1">
        <children/>
      </xul:hbox>
    </content>
  </binding>
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Sailfish, do you know how the new binding is used? I don't see a reference to this id anywhere in the default theme. In fact I don't see any references at all to browser.xml anywhere in the default theme.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

I don't know other than what I can conjecture which is that has something to do with the security icon in the urlbar?

I should have mentioned it before but I didn't find it referenced in any other place but the xml file.

I suppose it could be themed dynamically via some javascript function but that's just a guess, too?
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Thunderbird has recently updated its Option dialog panel similarly to Firefox. It added a directory messenger/preferences.