A million little questions

Discuss application theming and theme development.
patrickjdempsey

Re: A million little questions

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I'm thinking this is for local websites, so the editor will automatically update when you save changes to your CSS files?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

In Fx29, in Toolbar.png and menuPanel.png, what's the icon with the white glyph on a purple-and-blue gradient background for? It's the one in the first position (left-most, or top-left) in those files.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
ehume

Post by ehume »

Boy! I go away for a mere couple of years, and all H-E-doubleHockeySticks breaks out! What are the devs up to this time? I think we should call them Devils, not devs. I had to interrupt work on a review of the Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 to work on these themes.

Harumph. Well, I had to fork Aeon. Now I have it split to Aeon Small and Aeon. Separate themes for 24px, 32px, 48px and 64px main toolbar icons is not my idea of a good time. One less customization available to users. Ah, well.

My Little Question for the day is, Where are the Global files? I see the Default theme making reference to them, but i cannot find them in omni.jar. Where should I look?

Anyway, it's good to see you guys are still here. Or, as they say up buy NYC, Youse Guys.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

The answer is simple. Don't go away for a couple of years :)
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
David.Vincent

Post by David.Vincent »

There are 2 omni.ja in the Mozilla Firefox folder :

1) .../Mozilla Firefox/omni.ja -> when you unpack it you will have
...\chrome\toolkit\skin\classic\(aero)\global\
...\chrome\toolkit\skin\classic\(aero)\mozapps\

2) .../Mozilla Firefox/browser/omni.ja -> when you unpack it you will have
...\chrome\browser\skin\classic\(aero)\browser\
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

ehume wrote:Anyway, it's good to see you guys are still here. Or, as they say up buy NYC, Youse Guys.

Hi Ed, here's something you may want to look at, if you're not past that already: viewtopic.php?p=13528523#p13528523
ehume

Post by ehume »

David.Vincent wrote:There are 2 omni.ja in the Mozilla Firefox folder :

1) .../Mozilla Firefox/omni.ja -> when you unpack it you will have
...\chrome\toolkit\skin\classic\(aero)\global\
...\chrome\toolkit\skin\classic\(aero)\mozapps\

2) .../Mozilla Firefox/browser/omni.ja -> when you unpack it you will have
...\chrome\browser\skin\classic\(aero)\browser\

Thank you so much.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Now I have run up against a problem I cannot fathom. I run Aeon and Aeon Big. I copied most files from Aeon Big to Aeon. But when I open Aeon, I get the old smaller 24-pixel Aeon icons, not the Aeon Big 32-pixel icons I want it to have. I cleared the cache. I removed prefs.js. I killed sessionstore.xyz. I'm stumped.
ehume

Post by ehume »

So, when we run Classic Theme Restorer extension, we get back the capacity to choose between large and small icons.

But I cannot figure out how to make those buttons appear. They are #customization-smallnavbut-button1 and #customization-smallnavbut-button2 in the extension.

With the Icon/Icon+Test/Text buttons, all I had to do was add a margin-bottom: declaration to the #customization-footer statement (I added this), and I was fine.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Did fonts just get worse in Nightly on Vista/W7 Aero Glass? (Maybe yesterday, maybe the day before.)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mcdavis wrote:Did fonts just get worse in Nightly on Vista/W7 Aero Glass? (Maybe yesterday, maybe the day before.)
OMTC (Off Main Thread Composition) got turned on a couple of days ago. Lots of screen artefacts when you try to scroll quickly. Or just PgUp and PgDown repeatedly. Sometimes sub menu items aren't painted until you click on it.

Phil
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Sounds beautiful. And something that definitely needed to be "fixed".
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ehume

Post by ehume »

1. How does one invoke the Add-Ons Bar? I need to test the skin for #addon-bar

2. What and where is the selector for the side bar that pops up when you click on the History button? I need to put a border around it and I need to change the font size.

3. I may have a question about the BMP menu. I'm currently working on that. We'll see.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

ehume wrote:1. How does one invoke the Add-Ons Bar? I need to test the skin for #addon-bar

For Fx28 and down, that's Ctrl+/

2. What and where is the selector for the side bar that pops up when you click on the History button? I need to put a border around it and I need to change the font size.

I haven't found a way to inspect that popup at all. I tried DOM Inspector, my domtreeproperties tool, and Firefox's own devtool's remote debugger and got nowhere. Some trial and error with Stylish and some reading the JS that constructs it gave me this:

Code: Select all

- new DOM: the history subview when shown as a popup from the history tbb
  - outer popup structure is dynamically created in JS
  - payload content is temporarily cut-and-pasted from the corresponding subview in the panelui menupanel
  - this is representative of the DOM for all the other subviews which can also be shown as popups from tbb
    - ie, history, characterencoding, subscribe, developer
      - although the details of the payload content vary based on the particular button
    - but not bookmarks, because "bookmarks are different"

>   toolbar#nav-bar
    >     [...]
    >     panel#customizationui-widget-panel[type="arrow"].cui-widget-panel.cui-widget-panelWithFooter  // instantiated from scratch in panelUI.js:showSubView()
    >       vbox.panel-arrowcontainer                                                                   // from the arrowpanel binding
    >         box.panel-arrowbox                                                                        // from the arrowpanel binding
    >           image.panel-arrow                                                                       // from the arrowpanel binding
    >         box.panel-arrowcontent                                                                    // from the arrowpanel binding
    >           panelmultiview[nosubviews="true"][mainViewIsSubView="true"]                             // instantiated from scratch in panelUI.js:showSubView()
    >             box.panel-viewcontainer                                                               // from panelmultiview binding
    >               stack.panel-viewstack                                                               // from panelmultiview binding
    >                 vbox.panel-mainview                                                               // from panelmultiview binding
    >                   panelview#PanelUI-history[mainview="true"].cui-widget-panelview.PanelUI-subView // DOM cut out of the PanelUI menupanel and pasted in here, in panelUI.xml:setMainView()
    >                     label.panel-subview-header
    >                     vbox.panel-subview-body
    >                       toolbarbutton#appMenuViewHistorySidebar.subviewbutton [+]                   // View History Sidebar
    >                       toolbarbutton#appMenuClearRecentHistory.subviewbutton [+]                   // Clear Recent History ...
    >                       toolbarbutton#sync-tabs-menuitem2.syncTabsMenuItem.subviewbutton [+]        // Tabs From Other Devices
    >                       toolbarbutton#appMenuRestoreLastSession.subviewbutton [+]                   // Restore Previous Session
    >                       menuseparator#PanelUI-recentlyClosedTabs-separator
    >                       vbox#PanelUI-recentlyClosedTabs
    >                         toolbarbutton.restoreallitem.subviewbutton [+]                            // Restore Closed Tabs
    >                         toolbarbutton.subviewbutton [+]
    >                         [...]
    >                       menuseparator#PanelUI-recentlyClosedWindows-separator
    >                       vbox#PanelUI-recentlyClosedWindows
    >                         toolbarbutton.restoreallitem.subviewbutton [+]                            // Restore Closed Windows
    >                       menuseparator#PanelUI-historyItems-separator
    >                       vbox#PanelUI-historyItems
    >                         [...]
    >                     toolbarbutton#PanelUI-historyMore.panel-subview-footer.subviewbutton [+]      // Show All History
    >                 vbox.panel-clickcapturer                                                          // from panelmultiview binding
    >                 vbox.panel-subviews [+]                                                           // from panelmultiview binding
    >           box.panel-inner-arrowcontentfooter                                                      // from the arrowpanel binding

Most of the rules for that live in panelUIOverlay.css.
ehume

Post by ehume »

mcdavis wrote:
ehume wrote:1. How does one invoke the Add-Ons Bar? I need to test the skin for #addon-bar

For Fx28 and down, that's Ctrl+/

That doesn't work for me, even in the default theme. Is there an extension that invokes it?
mcdavis wrote:
ehume wrote:2. What and where is the selector for the side bar that pops up when you click on the History button? I need to put a border around it and I need to change the font size.

I haven't found a way to inspect that popup at all. I tried DOM Inspector, my domtreeproperties tool, and Firefox's own devtool's remote debugger and got nowhere. . . . Most of the rules for that live in panelUIOverlay.css.

Well, I changed the font size when I changed the font size for the bookmark panels. I still can't put a border around the blessed thing, but I'm going to give it a rest -- too time-consuming.

Can you or anyone else point me at an explanation of what is happening with the download button? I have skinned it until you press it. Then it vanishes. I even put a border around the little panel that pops up. But the button vanishes, even when I have closed the Downloads window.
Last edited by ehume on May 23rd, 2014, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.