Classic Compact v29.0a1 (Australis) OS X testing Needed

Discuss application theming and theme development.
XJCoupe

Re: Need theme tested on Linux and Mac OS/X

Post by XJCoupe »

Also on OS X, some dialog boxes have differing button styles:
KLB

Post by KLB »

I'm ironing out a last few details and then will be posting a new test version of Classic Compact along with a FF4 version of Classic Compact Options.

@XJCoupe,

Hopefully this afternoon's beta I'll be posting will resolve the OS X button issue.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
KLB

Post by KLB »

I've just uploaded a revised version of Classic Compact v4 (CC4) and my first test version of its options panel Classic Compact Options v4 (CCO4). I'm hoping this update will have resolved most of the issues reported thus far. For those worried about having CC3 version toolbar buttons, CCO4 does provide access to those buttons along with CC2 buttons. The new test files can be downloaded from my site at:

http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... .0.0b1.jar
http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... ons4.0.xpi
XJCoupe

Post by XJCoupe »

KLB wrote:Hopefully this afternoon's beta I'll be posting will resolve the OS X button issue.

Yep, and the scrollbars are now visible, too. Thanks!
edwardb

Post by edwardb »

Firefox 4.0 on Linux (openSuSE 11.3).

I actually think that the tab bar is a little too small.
And the bookmark toolbar is bizarrely huge.

Thanks very much for developing this, and maintaining it.
Your work makes my life a little bit better, every day.

Cheers,
-Edward
MURZ

Post by MURZ »

I test Classic Compact theme 4.0.2 and Classic Compact Options 4.0.0 on Firefox 4.0 & Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.6 - all works and looks good with different settings.
Can you add to Classic Compact Options in "Background style" new mode "Gradiend all, but tabs are flat"?
Because when I use vertical tab list, gradient looks not so good: http://wstaw.org/m/2011/03/25/plasma-desktopwP2617.jpg
KLB

Post by KLB »

@edwardb,

Both the tabs and bookmarks bar are displaying wrong in your screen capture. What add-ons do you have installed? I'm wondering if an extension is mucking things up. The screen captures on page two of this thread shows examples of how the theme is displaying on Linux for other users.

@MURZ,

How do you get vertical tabs? Adding in a "gradient all but tabs" isn't practical due to the need to get the new option phrase translated into around a dozen languages, but if I can figure out how you get vertical tabs I might be able to add in an extra rule to just get vertical tabs to render without gradients normally.
settle

Post by settle »

LinuxMint10 Gnome x32
Clean Firefox 4 install, Classic Compact 4.0.2
http://blog.lrytas.lt/settle/files/2011 ... shot13.png

"Firefox button" and "Bookmark Toolbar Items" are still not compact.

Actually, Firefox default theme is more compact than "Classic compact" at this moment.
KLB

Post by KLB »

@settle,

I think I just solved the Bookmark Toolbar not being compact. It was really weird, but under classic windows style it was compact, then when I changed to Windows XP style it wasn't compact. I found a stray "-moz-appearance: toolbarbutton;" that had to be killed and once I did the bookmark toolbar was compact under Windows XP style. I'm sure this was also causing the problem with Linux. I'll post the fix with 4.0.3 in a little while once I iron out a few other issues like the "Firefox" button.
KLB

Post by KLB »

The next test build of Classic Compact has now been uploaded. Version 4.0.3 is the latest version. Classic Compact Options remains unchanged and is still at v4.0.0.

Get the latest CC build at: http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... .0.0b1.jar

I believe I have fixed the bloated bookmark bar issue and have added a little more height to tabs so that the icons don't spill over the border.

Other refinements include (but not limited to):
  • Fixed styling of menu under "Firefox" button
  • Improved Personas support and added flag for Personas Plus for when they get around to supporting it.
  • Compacted add-ons panel
  • Hopefully fixed inconsistent buttons on OS X
  • Fixed Aero support when menubar is turned off (big thanks to patrickjdempsey & CatThief for this fix)

If you find any issues please let me know. I'll post baseline screen captures of the the way things should look shortly.
settle

Post by settle »

Looks fine in Linux Mint 10.
hunterX

Post by hunterX »

Hello,

I'm using Vista SP2 32-bit and in "Classic Compact Options", when I switch "OS system colors" from "Light/gray backgrounds (default)" to "Very dark/black backgrounds", I get this:

Furthermore, I have a question: does Classic Compact support Aero transparency?

Thanks for updating to Firefox 4.0. Keep up the good work!

PS: you should edit the title of the topic and add "Classic Compact"...
My addons: Change Referer Button | Copy Frame Address | Gawker Blog View | SearchThisSite | Skip Feedsportal | Space Next (available here)
makiao

Post by makiao »

Hi, i like this theme and its options, but i`m a little sad. why u loose the compactness of the 3.6 build?

Thats my realy compact firefox for netbook ;) the first is firefox 4 with cc 3.6 and the second firefox 4 with cc 4
you see how much space has gone.
ff4cc3.6 vs. ff4cc4.0

The only great thing that does not work (for me) in cc 3.6 on ff4 is the linktarget (no background) and some little things.
In cc4 on ff4 there is also a problem with the exit minimize maximixe buttons, overlay of the original buttons or anything like this.
Sorry for my bad english.

Is there a way to keep the best theme as compact as possible? I also dont like the button style of the buttons ;) dont like the borders arround the buttons
Thanks for your great work.
KLB

Post by KLB »

@hunterX,

The check marks disappear because they are white gliphs. The OS system colors option is for users who have their computers set to black/dark backgrounds with light/white text. The OS system colors option doesn't actually change the colors in Firefox, it just makes the check marks, etc. compatible with dark backgrounds.

@makiao,

Are you using small icons and are you running Classic Compact v4.0.3? The toolbar button height is supposed to be the same height as the address box height. Looking at the back/forward buttons, it looks like you might be running a previous test build of CC4. The most current version is 4.0.3, which I uploaded about an hour ago. This version fixed a host of height issues.

Here are screen captures of the way the main browser window looks on Windows XP using Windows Classic Style theme.
makiao

Post by makiao »

The height is okay but look at the weight of all the buttons, thats what i mean.
Yes i used the newest version of cc and cco, and i use the newest hide caption titlebarbar plugin and compact menu 2 to.
And with 3.6 on ff4 the close,max,min buttons work fine, but with cc4 on ff4 there is a overlayproblem, the original buttons are not visible but klickable.