Classic Compact v29.0a1 (Australis) OS X testing Needed

Discuss application theming and theme development.
KLB

Re: Need theme tested on Linux and Mac OS/X

Post by KLB »

I see what you are saying. I'm using borders because the default theme uses them. I could add an option into Classic Compact Options to make the borders go away except when hovering over them. The big key will be getting the phrases for the option translated pretty quickly as Classic Compact Options has been translated into about a dozen languages.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
makiao

Post by makiao »

If you do the borders away, is then the width smaller? like cc3.6onff4 in my pictue?
(sorry i mean the width of the buttons, not the weight hehe funny mistake)
if it is not smaller. I'll get used to the width. If its smaller then, i would like it ;)
Thanks. so i have to go to sleep now, its 1 at night... im back tomorow.
SvEgiiVEteR

Post by SvEgiiVEteR »

Hide Caption Titlebar Plus (Smart) 2.1.7rc + Classic Compact 4.0.3 not working in windowed mode
from Classic Compact 4.0.0 is not a problem
PS win7
I am a Russian :)
longuste

Post by longuste »

sys: xp_sp3
if you disable the gradients you see that there is too much space on top of the tabs
if tabmix+ is activated and all buttons on the tabbar are removed the tabs shrink. (there was no problem with ff3.6 nor with cc_4.0.1b)

btw, is it possible to make the menubutton movable. (i needed to move everything to menubar)
thanks for your efforts++
KLB

Post by KLB »

@makiao,

I could certainly make buttons narrower by default. I never have that many buttons on my toolbar so I efforts tend to focus on vertical space savings, not horizontal. In the mean time, add the following code to your userChrome.css (I think it still works), it will cause the border to go away around buttons except when they are hovered or active. It does not effect the back/forward buttons as they look goofy when only one is highlighted:

Code: Select all

#nav-bar > .toolbarbutton-1 > .toolbarbutton-menubutton-button:not(:active):not(:hover),
#nav-bar > .toolbarbutton-1 > .toolbarbutton-menubutton-dropmarker:not(:active):not(:hover),
#nav-bar > .toolbarbutton-1:not(:active):not(:hover) {
   border-color:transparent !important;
   box-shadow:none !important;
}

Let me know how it works.

@SvEgiiVEteR,
Does the Hide Caption Titlebar Plus (Smart) 2.1.7rc extension work in windowed mode using the default theme?
BTW: my wife is Russian also.
KLB

Post by KLB »

@longuste,
There are two or three pixels between the top of tabs and the bottom of the address bar buttons or whatever is above the tabs. Initially I had only one pixel between them but the look was driving me nuts. It just felt too cluttered. I added a pixel back in to add a little extra separation. The menu button isn't movable because it is actually a menuitem, not a toolbar button. If I make it a toolbar button it loses the access key magic (alt+m). I'll work on the tab height issue, I think I know a quick fix.
SvEgiiVEteR

Post by SvEgiiVEteR »

KLB wrote:@SvEgiiVEteR,
Does the Hide Caption Titlebar Plus (Smart) 2.1.7rc extension work in windowed mode using the default theme?
BTW: my wife is Russian also.

Yes screenshot using the default theme to show this bug.
your theme 4.0.3
because your subject is not transparent and the buttons are not visible. only the edge, but when pressed they work, and the buttons "Hide Caption Titlebar Plus" do not work.
click minimize the window to "Hide Caption Titlebar Plus" and is triggered to close because it is very broad in win7.
The same problem in the default theme, and with your 4.0.3.
with 4.0.0 all ok
PS
if I can in this case, write in Russian?
KLB

Post by KLB »

The problem with 4.0.0 was that it was broken in Win7. When the menu bar was turned off the minimize, maximize & close button were missing. The fix I had to put in to make Classic Compact work in Win7 with the menu bar turned off is probably what breaks Hide Caption Titlebar Plus. If I understand you correctly the default Firefox theme also has this problem. If, the problem also exists with the default theme then the issue will have to be fixed by the developer of Hide Caption Titlebar Plus.

If I could create a workaround in Classic Compact, I would. Unfortunately I do not have Win7 so I can't do the testing necessary to find a fix on my own. I'm totally dependent upon someone else providing me a fix that I can include in Classic Compact.

BTW: I don't speak Russian and my wife doesn't speak computer, so we'd better stick to English.
pm1315

Post by pm1315 »

In the old 1.2.1 version of Classic Compact Options you had an option to change the
toolbar arrow style between classic arrows (default, FF2, MC) to FF3 keyhole arrows.

Will this option be included in the final version of Classic Compact Options for FF4?

In any event, thanks very much for providing this great theme and enabling it to work with FF4.
copov

Post by copov »

When you use your theme (classic compact 4.0.2 and 4.0.3) page reloaded 2 times
KLB

Post by KLB »

@pm1315,

The changes in underlying theme structure between FF3 & FF4 were pretty significant. It would require way too much work to save the keyhole buttons. It is possible I could end up deciding to put the keyhole arrow option back in before I'm done, but in general I'm not very keen on the idea.

@copov,

What page reloads?
longuste

Post by longuste »

Thx for your reply, KLB.
I agree only one pixel would look awful when gradients are active. But maybe it is possible to shrink it when gradients are disabled. (or set the spacing manually in cc_options)
I know its stupid to complain about 2 pixels ;) but its eye-catching because the background-color of the tabbar is slightly different to the menu/navigationbar.
Another find whats different from the previous version is the custom tabcolor (set in tabmix+) gets overidden when the gradient in tabs is disabled.
If there is anything I learned from my updating Classic Compact from Firefox 2.0 to Firefox 3.0 is that an existing user base does not like change.

same from 3.6 to 4.0, I wouldn’t like to be in your shoes ;) Thanks again!
KLB

Post by KLB »

@longguste,

Do you know how to use the DOM Inspector add-on? If you did I could get you to try a few things before I pushed them out in the next beta. My thought is to get rid of the darker background behind the tabs when gradients are turned off. I also want to try some tweaks to see if they resolve your tab color issue.
makiao

Post by makiao »

@KBL Thanks for the code, now it looks fine for me. Any idea how to do the buttons smaller or delete the space between? Is it also as easy to do with a code?

And i have the same behavior like SvEgiiVEteR, but only with cc4onff4 but not with cc3.6onff4. Perhaps it helps to know that?
KLB

Post by KLB »

@makiao,

The next CC release will remove excess horizontal space between buttons. I know what causes the behavior SvEgiiVEteR but I can't fix it without breaking CC on Win7 when the menubar is turned off. Without the fix, the upper right max/min/restore/close buttons are missing. Unfortunatly,I can't test on Win7 to find a work around to those circumstances and I can't remove the fix because Classic Compact would never be approved with the buttons missing.

What I need to know is if the default Firefox theme has the same issue with that extension.