Classic Compact v29.0a1 (Australis) OS X testing Needed

Discuss application theming and theme development.
KLB

Re: Need theme tested on Windows, Linux and Mac OS/X

Post by KLB »

Yep, the latest TMP build seems to have fixed the Min/Max tab width issues.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
KLB

Post by KLB »

CC & CCO v4.0.9b1

I've posted my first beta of CC & CCO v4.0.9b1. This beta adds in an option to push the tabs into the title bar even when the browser window is not maximized. It also makes an attempt to compact down the title bar for Windows when using the Windows default theme (WinXP, Vista, Win7). Due to the nature of the right hand title bar buttons, the shrinking of the title bar will be limited in scope and probably won't be provided to all OSes, I'm mostly targeting the default Windows theme because its title bar is so bloated.

Once I am fairly confident I didn't blow anything up with my attempt to push the tabs into the title bar I will proceed with the "how compact" options, I promised earlier.

I do need confirmation that the tabs are behaving properly on different OSes under different configurations.

As always the latest builds can be downloaded from:

CC v4.0.9b1 http://EnvironmentalChemistry.com/classiccompact4.0.jar
CCO v4.0.9b1 http://EnvironmentalChemistry.com/class ... ons4.0.xpi

To enable tabs in the title bar even when the browser window is not maximized, go to the "menus & tabs" tab in the CCO options panel and change the setting "display tabs in title bar" to "always". My feeling is this is a pretty radical feature so it is best for it to be an optional setting.
mozillauser233

Post by mozillauser233 »

I apologize I didn't get to this earlier, wish I would get emails for subscribed threads.

Defaulted Windows Themes. Brand new FF4 Profile.

Everything at defaults in CCO except Tabs in titlebar. Using Aero & Classic theme, W7.

=====================================
Every flat option does this in Windows Classic theme.

=====================================
Every flat option does this in Aero theme.
KLB

Post by KLB »

Thanks for the screen captures. This is very helpful. I'm very relieved W7 Aero is working correctly.

I haven't done any styling to the flat styles yet. I first needed to make sure the basics were working correctly. It does look like I'm pushing the tabs just a wee bit to high in the classic theme.

I think you can set your email preferences in the "user control panel".
mozillauser233

Post by mozillauser233 »

Edit:
Removed code and Image.
Last edited by mozillauser233 on April 18th, 2011, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KLB

Post by KLB »

The way I'm getting tabs into the title bar is based off the JavaScript and CSS used in Firefox itself. https://bug572160.bugzilla.mozilla.org/ ... ?id=501824

This allowed for the reuse of a lot of CSS rules and provided a pretty safe way to determine the placement of tabs.
mozillauser233

Post by mozillauser233 »

ah, ok. Another note, I was not able to drag the window, I had to grab a tiny pixel from under the window buttons to drag the FF window. Also would you be able to have double click on the bar to maximize and restore as how the titlebar normally reacts?
KLB

Post by KLB »

When I was reading through the comments on Bugzilla a common problem was the double click issue and the issue with dragging the window.
I seriously doubt I'll be able to find a way to allow users to grab and drag the window anywhere on the tab bar. I suspect I'll also have problems enabling the double click anywhere on the tab bar area.

The way I tried to mitigate these issues was to leave a 10px gap between the minimize button and the end of the tab bar. This leaves a section of the title bar exposed so that it can be grabbed onto.

I'll dig through the Firefox code to see if I can figure out how they changed the double click behavior.
Mongo1950

Post by Mongo1950 »

I have found a strange behavior. Most of the time I run FF with two open windows. If I do not wait to open the second window till the first one has completely opened the tabs in the first window display under the title bar instead of in the title bar. The second window displays normally. I am running Win XP, FF4, TMP 0.3.8.5 and CC and CCO 4.0.9b1. I made screen captures but do not know how to insert them in this message. This does not happen with other themes and did not happen with FF3 and CC3. I can simply wait to open the second window but thought you might be interested in this behavior.

Thanks again for all the hard work on CC and CCO.
monkey9000

Post by monkey9000 »

hey KLB, just reminding you about the download progress bar issue:

KLB

Post by KLB »

I'm working on a way to allow the title bar to control mouse click in areas of the tab bar where the title bar shows through. This would restore the ability to easily move and maximize the browser window. This behavior will be similar to the way the tab bar behaves when the browser window is maximized.

@Mongo1950,

Good to know about the second window issue, I'll investigate. I suspect opening the second window too quickly interrupts CCO events on the first window.

@monkey9000,

I thought I resolved the status bar issue with cc v4.0.8. Are you using flat background? The issue might be that the selected download and the status bar have the same color. I need a way to address the same color issue. I might have to change the status bar color on the selected download.
KLB

Post by KLB »

CC & CCO v4.0.9b2

CHANGES:
  • Tab Groups now use OS native color rules based on Linux omni.jar style rules. This change is actually part of 4.0.9b1, but I forgot to mention it. The idea is that to be truly OS neutral, Classic Compact should use OS theme colors when ever possible.
  • Fixed tab bar backgrounds when in title bar and not maximized.
  • Changed mouse click behavior over empty areas of tab bar when in title bar but not maximized. Should now behave the same as the tab bar in title bar when maximized. This turned out to be easy to achieve using the following style rules:

Code: Select all

#main-window[cctabsintitlebar=true][autohide][tabsontop]:not([inFullscreen]):not([tabsintitlebar="true"]) #TabsToolbar {
      pointer-events: none;
    }

#main-window[cctabsintitlebar=true][autohide][tabsontop]:not([inFullscreen]):not([tabsintitlebar="true"]) #TabsToolbar .tabbrowser-tab,
    #main-window[cctabsintitlebar=true][autohide][tabsontop]:not([inFullscreen]):not([tabsintitlebar="true"]) #TabsToolbar toolbarbutton {
      pointer-events: auto;
    }
  • Changed the color of the progress meter in downloads on the selected download so that it contrasts with the highlighted color.
  • Reworked margins of tab bar when in titlebar but window not maximized.
  • Adjusted title bar buttons vertical position so that it is a little more centered (non aero).

CONFIRMATIONS FEEDBACK NEEDED:
  • Does the new "tabs in title bar always" option in CCO work correctly in Linux and Mac OS/X?
  • In Win7/Vista using aero glass do the right hand titlebar buttons work properly and look correct when tabs are in title bar (both maximized and not maximized).
  • Do the group tabs colors work appropriately? Remember in Windows the colors will no longer be the same color as the group tab colors in the default theme because they are now controlled by the OS.
  • For toolbar buttons in tab bar when tab bar is in title bar area, should I have a background color to make them stand out against the titlebar background?

DOWNLOAD LATEST BUILD:
CC http://environmentalchemistry.com/classiccompact4.0.jar
CCO http://environmentalchemistry.com/class ... ons4.0.xpi

SPECIAL REQUEST: [-o<
If you love CC & CCO, please give each a five star review. The higher their overall rating is, the higher they appear in AMOs addon lists when sorted by rating. In turn this will help more users find these addons.

Reviews can be posted via:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... c-compact/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... t-options/

Related to this, last night CCO got the following nonsensical review with a three star rating:
Confusing to say the least, and I am no n00b!

Why not have it save user preferences in the about:config, so one can disable this add-on if desired?!

My reply:
What's confusing about Classic Compact Options?

1) Like ALL addons, Classic Compact Options (CCO) can be disabled via the add-ons panel (Tools => Add-ons). If you really want to disable it via about:config, change the key "extensions.notreal.ccoptions@environmentalchemistry.com.install-event-fired" to false.

2) All of Classic Compact Option's user preferences ARE saved to user preferences in about:config. All CCO specific preferences are found in about:config under "extensions.classiccompactoptions.". It is strongly advised that only the CCO options panel be used to change preferences.

3) As the theme Classic Compact is required for Classic Compact Option to work properly, if Classic Compact is not being used, Classic Compact Options does not apply any of its preferences. As such, once CCO determines Classic Compact is not loaded, CCO stops using any further resources.

I hate it when someone posts a totally useless review, claims not to be a "n00b", and then goes on to make totally false claims (e.g. preferences not being stored in about:config). Everyone following this thread knows I'm working extremely hard to make CC & CCO the best I possibly can and I'm going out of my way to be as accommodating as possible to user suggestions/requests. It is really frustrating when someone with a chip on their shoulder runs around posting nonconstructive reviews with low ratings on random add-ons (see their review history in their profile to see what I mean). :evil:
Zigboom

Post by Zigboom »

KLB, you can report such reviews and most of the times they get removed by a moderator after a while.
You have to be logged in, click on [show all reviews] & then [report this review] - choose the right reason for reporting the review, in this case I would say it's a non-review content.
Give it a try and clean up the useless reviews ...
-=# LavaFox & Black Fox - Dark & hot themes for Firefox #=-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/4710003/
Segaja

Post by Segaja »

KLB wrote:CC & CCO v4.0.9b2

CHANGES:
  • Tab Groups now use OS native color rules based on Linux omni.jar style rules. This change is actually part of 4.0.9b1, but I forgot to mention it. The idea is that to be truly OS neutral, Classic Compact should use OS theme colors when ever possible.

CONFIRMATIONS FEEDBACK NEEDED:
  • Do the group tabs colors work appropriately? Remember in Windows the colors will no longer be the same color as the group tab colors in the default theme because they are now controlled by the OS.

It works for me perfectly. Thanks for that update.
KLB

Post by KLB »

Zigboom wrote:KLB, you can report such reviews and most of the times they get removed by a moderator after a while.
You have to be logged in, click on [show all reviews] & then [report this review] - choose the right reason for reporting the review, in this case I would say it's a non-review content.
Give it a try and clean up the useless reviews ...

I do occasionally report totally senseless reviews, but I don't want to be a whiner that snivels to AMO about every "bad" review. Maybe I should follow your advice in this case. I viewed the individual's profile and they seem to have a chip on their shoulder and hit a lot of add-ons with bad reviews.

Thanks for the good reviews guys. You're awesome! 8-)