Custom themes and Personas at the same time is possible!

Discuss application theming and theme development.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Custom themes and Personas at the same time is possible!

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The only reason I keep up is because I absolutely cannot stand the default theme and specifically the way things are being ripped out, and I really just prefer my own. I figure if I'm going to create a theme that I'm happy with, the 10% extra work to support other OS's and extensions I don't use isn't all that bad. I've played around with Opera and Chrome and I detest both... so until Mozilla gives up or finally turns Firefox into something I would rather hit myself with a hammer than use, I'm keeping up with at least my one main theme.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KLB

Post by KLB »

I've been thinking I need to learn more about extension development and the best way to learn is to write an extension. The only extension, that comes to mind as a good place to start is writing an extension that forces Firefox to allow personas on themes that have "<em:skinnable>true</em:skinnable>" in their install.rdf as this is the tag that was proposed a couple years ago.

The thing is, I'm not sure where to start to figure out a good way to make personas work on themes without using the bug that we exploit to test our themes on personas. Any ideas, suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I've dug through the code of new and old versions of Personas Plus as well as the personas manager in Firefox a few times and I could never figure out what part of the code was doing that one function. I found something that is labelled saying it does that but marking it out and reinstalling didn't work. And even if I got that to work, forking Personas Plus would be a pain in the butt.... although I think at this point Mozilla would probably hand it over to a skilled and willing contributor.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
DeadDude

Post by DeadDude »

Any update on this?

I've finally found a theme I like (for the buttons and scroll bar) and a persona I like (for the background and text colors).

can I combine them...?