Firefox nightly theme changes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox nightly theme changes

Post by patrickjdempsey »

There are now three new entries in /mozapps/extensions:

selectAddons.css: this appears to be the style info for the Install Add-On list popup.
- This appears on a Firefox install, not sure how to trigger yet... that pref doesn't work.

newaddon.css: this is the style info for the individual Install Add-On tabs... some is shared with global In-Content-UI style.
- These appear when ANY addon is installed any method other than through Firefox, deleting extensions.sqlite will trigger them, but be warned, the wording on these dialogs makes it seem like you are allowing *installation*... you are not, you are allowing *enabling* of addons, so for themes you should leave the box unchecked and press Continue... totally counter-intuitive there.

update.css: not sure yet... any idea how to trigger Alfred?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

akayser wrote:Bug 674578 - Support resizer[dir="bottomstart"].

Wait... is [chromedir="rtl"] no longer valid? This patch is using [rtl="true"]... resizers appear to work normally in Nightly so chromedir doesn't appear to be deprecated.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 686671 - Reduce border radii of the url bar, search bar and toolbar buttons on the navigation toolbar.
Bug 684561 - Improve styling of Web Console on Windows
Bug 665907 - [highlighter] Bounding boxes update are slow while the page is scrolling
Bug 664895 - Make the details pane not jump when a screenshot image is loaded
Bug 681974 - Lighten border and add gradient to locationBar and searchBar for Lion.
Bug 676253 - Make the Highlighter Toolbar look like faaborg's design on OS X;
Bug 672743 - Remove category view from style inspector
Bug 582596 - Style view centered around answering common CSS questions
Bug 679255 - Tab close button shouldn't be focusable.

And note, the 'about:memory' page has changed, supporting 'collapsable' headers. This is done in content/aboutMemory.css, but you may want to style this to your own theme.
The '.colllapsed' class on some items is there but not used in the way you would expect.

And these new files in mozapps/extensions are not used in third party themes, as these dialogs are called before the theme is activated.
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
akayser

Post by akayser »

A default theme tweak:
Bug 684450 - Remove stop/go/reload button affordance and streamline other location bar icons

And the New Style Inspector, it was checked in for a moment, but pushed/pulled back, but it will reappear soon:
Bug 674856 - The style inspector should not redraw the whole UI every time it is used
Bug 685141 - csshtmltree.css & arrows.png are missing from aero theme
Bug 672746 - Add an Only user styles checkbox to the style inspector
Bug 672744 - Add search filter to style inspector
Bug 671291 - </iframe> and </html> overlap in the Inspect window
Bug 672002 - Move HTML panel to a docked panel in the main browser window (highlighter)

If one takes the most recent csshtmltree.css from mxr.mozilla.org, it will contain the updates mentioned above.
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
akayser

Post by akayser »

maxVersion jumped to 10a.1!
Version of nightly is now 10a1, and 7.0 is now released 8.0 is beta and 9.0 is aurora.

Bug 663833 - [highlighter] Add a floating toolbar next to the selected node
Bug 689051 - drop the drop shadow on the back button
Bug 688461 - Search result for tabs from other windows is truncated for certain sites
Bug 679994 - Checkboxes in "Disable add-ons you no longer use" dialog have no labels, names aren't accessible.
Bug 689177 - Reduce border radii of header buttons and the search field to match Firefox nav bar changes
Bug 689181 - Reduce the Places organizer search field's border radius to match Firefox nav bar changes.
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 632252 - The find bar should be visually styled to match the add-ons bar (Areo only)
Bug 669260 - Add statistics overlay to video element
Bug 689311 - "Pair a Device" and "Set up Sync" links in the Sync prefpane
Bug 675823 - Implement the "J-PAKE first" flow on desktop (Sync)
patrickjdempsey

akayser wrote:And note, the 'about:memory' page has changed, supporting 'collapsable' headers. This is done in content/aboutMemory.css, but you may want to style this to your own theme.
The '.colllapsed' class on some items is there but not used in the way you would expect.

This is rather odd, and the default doesn't do a very good job in communicating that this is something that can be clicked on IMO. I just wanted to share what I did here:

Code: Select all

/* using .tree keeps this style from applying to earlier versions*/
h2.tree {
    -moz-padding-start: 15px;
    background-image: url("chrome://global/skin/arrow/arrow-dn.gif");
    background-position: 0% 50%;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
}

h2.tree:hover {
  text-decoration: underline;
  cursor: pointer;
}

pre.collapsed  {
  display: none;
}
akayser

Post by akayser »

A slew of minor things:
Bug 591780 - Frontend support for restartless dictionaries
Bug 682534 - Implement conditional forward button for winstripe / large icons mode
Bug 671243 - Empty text-field area goes outside of minimized group when hovering with mouse
Bug 640065 - 'Tabs from other windows' text disappears with background window
Bug 656666 - Update HudService.jsm to allow GCLI integration (introduces browser/devtools/gcli.css)
Bug 694018 - Remove legacy info-item css
Bug 692537 - Location bar and search bar shouldn't be transparent with aero glass & tabs on top.
Bug 694313 - GCLI css file is registered in winstripe but not in other themes
Bug 694450 - #winstripe-urlbar-back-button-mask is not vertically centered

In order to test GCLI, one has to set devtools.gcli.enable to true in about:config, and then open the Web Console (no need to restart!)
KLB

Post by KLB »

akayser wrote:Bug 672743 - Remove category view from style inspector
Bug 582596 - Style view centered around answering common CSS questions

These have me a little confused. They call for making changes to the file "+++ b/browser/themes/winstripe/browser/devtools/csshtmltree.css" but I don't have a "devtools" folder under "browser" in my theme. when/where was this folder created?

--EDIT--
Never mind, I copied the folder in question and its files from omni.jar in the latest nightly.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
akayser

Post by akayser »

A whole series of Style Inspector patches:
Bug 700036 - Put the style inspector into a xul document.
Bug 689759 - Style Inspector needs a no-results placeholder
Bug 699832 - Style Inspector needs a way to display treetwisties that will work on all operating systems
Bug 700243 - Rename csshtmltree.xul's 'header' class
Bug 699002 - Use a xul:checkbox for "Only user styles" option
Bug 674744 - Implement conditional forward button for pinstripe
Bug 700387 - Remove the Style Inspector breadcrumbs
Bug 700333 - Highlighter close button has a bogus hover state on Windows

(it would be whole lot better if they wouldn't make all those mistakes in the first place, so we don't have to update our themes just for every fix).
patrickjdempsey

akayser wrote:(it would be whole lot better if they wouldn't make all those mistakes in the first place, so we don't have to update our themes just for every fix).

I'm not even exactly sure how to support all of the different iterations of this stuff for all different versions. And I'm not even bothering to customize beyond the default styles until Mozilla settles down and figures out how the whole thing is supposed to work and look.
KLB

Post by KLB »

At MozCamp tracking theme changes was a major point of discussion among AMO Editors. The idea is to use a specific flag in Bugzilla for every bug that impacts themes, which would help with filtering. On top of this it was discussed being able to track which version of Firefox theme changes landed in. In this way queries could be run, which allow one to know what theme changes took place between versions. This would not only simplify finding out what we need to add in, but what can be removed as obsolete. It could totally automate the function this thread serves.

They are already doing something similar for extensions so that they can automate the compatibility checking of extensions. They track API changes that could break extensions and then around Aurora they automatically test extensions against the "breaking" list.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 583041 - Style Editor integration; part 3
Bug 700770 - Style Inspector's Rule View can't scroll vertically
patrickjdempsey

For the Sync Promo panel shown in the Edit Bookmarks arrowpanel box, it only shows a few number of times. Set "browser.syncPromoViewsLeft" in about:config to 100 to see it enough times to get your style correct.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

This might be a dupe here, but I didn't see it in the list.

Bug 660655 - Update class name of the Plugin check link in the Add-ons Manager

- Fx7 and up, all desktop platforms
- DOM change in the Add-ons Manager Plug-ins view between Fx6 and Fx7
- see prior bug 656269 - Add link to Mozilla plugin check from Add-ons Manager - which first added that UI

Code: Select all

Fx6 only:

hbox.view-header.global-info-container
      hbox.global-info-plugincheck
        button.button-link [+]
        spacer

Fx7 and up:

hbox.view-header.global-info-container
      hbox.global-info
        button.button-link.global-info-plugincheck [+]
        spacer
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed