Firefox nightly theme changes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox nightly theme changes

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Finally getting around to getting rid of all of those Feed icons and the unused parts of the Addons Manager I see. :-" Although why in the heck are they using overrides for the feed icons? Hasn't someone told Mozilla that overrides seriously break themes yet?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KLB

Post by KLB »

So once again, we've got to do some serious testing to make sure our icons don't get broken. I'm starting to really hate overrides.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
patrickjdempsey

I do find it really ironic that in the same version they fixed the ban on overrides for themes they introduced several in the default theme. I haven't seen anything move in Nightly lately but there are some things in UX that look like they might land soon.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KLB

Post by KLB »

Any time you see proposed overrides that could be disastrous for themes you need to post comment warning of the negative consequences.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

KLB wrote:I'm not sure if this has been already mentioned, but this was brought to my attention in the AMO editors IRC channel.

Bug 659407: Remove duplicate theme files

Basically it looks like an effort to clean up the omni.ja files. This could be helpful to us in figuring up how to clean up our themes.

OMG... Am I wrong or they are using now the "override" manifest flag (the same approach they used for lion that has caused several problems for us), everywhere???? :shock:
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
KLB

Post by KLB »

At this point in time, the bug fix attachments that have been flagged as 'review +' (which indicates they have been approved) DO NOT have overrides in them. As long as the other attachments do not get flagged 'review +', we will be okay.
patrickjdempsey

Since the same thing can be accomplished just be editing subscribe.css, it does seem overkill. Maybe someone thinks it's a "quick fix" as opposed to digging through source to find all of the places an image is used? When I want to remove/move an image I replace it with a solid red one and then poke through the UI looking for the obvious. It isn't that difficult.
SoapyHamHocks

Post by SoapyHamHocks »

The image locations are hard coded in the 'Applications' pane of the Options dialog, this may be one reason for the overrides. I've been using this along with editing subscribe.css for a while now:

Code: Select all

[src="chrome://browser/skin/feeds/audioFeedIcon16.png"],
[src="chrome://browser/skin/feeds/videoFeedIcon16.png"] {
  background: url(chrome://browser/skin/feeds/feedIcon16.png);
}

[src="chrome://browser/skin/feeds/audioFeedIcon.png"],
[src="chrome://browser/skin/feeds/videoFeedIcon.png"] {
  background: url(chrome://browser/skin/feeds/feedIcon32.png);
}
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 425916 - Improve look of mac treerows when in editing mode
Bug 681548 - Media controls visual refresh.
Bug 715710 - [New Tab Page] Black bars behind titles should be lowered in opacity from 80% to 50%
Bug 455553 - Part 2[/url] - Assets / CSS / Images
Bug 718431 - WebConsole doesn't show the warning icons on warning and errors;
Bug 666306 - Added a large play button when the video is not autoplay and with controls enabled.
Bug 720975 - Switch to vertical layout only when the window width < 550px
Bug 669392 - File and Directory paths should be cropped in the middle and not at the beginning of the path
Bug 718259 - Remove the resizer button in the Inspector Toolbar
Bug 718392 - [Mac] Restore non-highlight when hovering menus in content menubars
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 722019 - Remove some useless/redundant listbox rules, in gnomestripe and winstripe
Bug 715469 - Make video full-screen button use background image, so it doesn't fire a load event.
Bug 713446 - White text with text-shadow in selected bottom tabs
Bug 712223 - [highlighter] Breadcrumbs bar doesn't always have the same size on Windows and Linux.
Bug 721087 - [New Tab Page] Cells should have an outline to indicate their positions.
Creator of the LittleFox, LittleBird, MicroFox, MicroBird, Nautipolis, Walnut, Walnut2, Bricks and Metal themes for Firefox and Thunderbird.
Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/123/developers. Mozilla contributor since October 1999 (Mozilla M10).
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Bug 721324 - Allow the source code editor of Scratchpad & StyleEditor to be themed.
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 691419 - Remove the aero icon from winstripe jar.
Bug 691419 - Move the command line background image to the browser/.../devtools directory
Bug 697762 - Land the debugger in m-c;
Bug 724778 - Style Editor: Fix toolbars alignment.
Bug 694958 - [highlighter] [infobar] limit the size of the infobar
Bug 721324 - Allow the source code editor of Scratchpad & StyleEditor to be themed (as requested by me!)
Bug 722548 - Large play button for HTML5 <video> controls is not centered vertically
patrickjdempsey

Not sure the bug but they changed the name of an element in Highlighter:

.highlighter-nodeinfobar-class -> #highlighter-nodeinfobar-classes

So to support all versions you need:

#highlighter-nodeinfobar-classes,
.highlighter-nodeinfobar-class {
color:whatevercolor;
}

Also wondering why they are still stuffing Highlighter in browser.css? I've moved mine to /devtools/highlighter.css (I've moved about half of the stuff in browser.css to other files for my sanity).
akayser

Post by akayser »

Bug 609107 - Updated toolbarbutton dropmarker
Bug 720101 - Remove @import of missing file: toolkit/content/global/autocomplete.css
Bug 585563 - The inspector style panel should link to the CSS editor;
akayser

Post by akayser »

Also wondering why they are still stuffing Highlighter in browser.css? I've moved mine to /devtools/highlighter.css (I've moved about half of the stuff in browser.css to other files for my sanity).

I guess because adding another file to be opened at startup impacts startup time (Ts). In terms of editing/maintaining it is easier to keep things separate, but that is not always good for performance.